Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Is Rocket Dock safe to use ?

by pi2008 / October 16, 2008 4:46 PM PDT

Is Rocket Dock safe to use ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Rocket Dock safe to use ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Rocket Dock safe to use ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RocketDock review.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 17, 2008 12:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
its safe, but your wise to ask and check before hand.
by johnnj2003 / October 20, 2008 2:38 AM PDT

I use it too, if you dont like it, its easy to uninstall.
No problems , no adware.
Anytime (and this goes for everyone)you come across something you want but dont know for sure if its BS, then google it to see if its spyware first. Again kudos to you for asking, most people install every little program they come across and then ask me why their system is so slow.

I have found AVG Free is good to have as a first line of defense.
If your already infected with spyware, SUPERAntispyware has worked for everything I have come across. Windows Defender is pretty good too.

Collapse -
No problems
by rrh13 / October 20, 2008 4:38 AM PDT

I have been using it for about a year now. I am very happy with it. No problems, at all. rrh

Collapse -
re RocketDock
by Ardy Mattox` / October 20, 2008 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: No problems

My husband and I both have Rocket Dock on 5 computers. We have had absolutely no problem with it. It works well with XP and Vista. It doesn't appear to have any 'stuff' hanging on that is bad.

Collapse -
Yes, but
by vicm3 / October 20, 2008 9:01 AM PDT

My wife use it in our laptop dell xps 1210, I found too late to my concern that Rocket Dock drained drastically the battery power, specially as it wasn't the latest version, I think it was a combination of Intel video chipset, high cpu usage and a memory leak... that reduced our 9 cell battery life to less than a year...

I don't get earlier as on my session I don't use the dock :/

Anyway is pretty nice and the memory leak is fixed on the current version.

Collapse -
Battery killed by rocketdock??? Hmm dont think so.
by johnnj2003 / October 20, 2008 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes, but

More likely the battery was charged way more often than it was ever drained, which is the primary reason batteries get shorter lifespans. RocketDock puts no less strain on the CPU than your windows
"Defrag when idle" feature does, so RocketDock could not have
killed the battery. Also any XPS laptop is not exactly super battery friendly to begin with, their "top of line" desktop replacements, "Alienware" replacement laptops.

I dont mean to sound rude, but I work with laptops all day and have a lot of experience with this very type of thing.

most people have their laptops charging all day, every day.
Once in a while you need to let the battery run till its just about dead then let it get a full charge again, that helps keep the battery conditioned, if you have it charging 99% of the time and 1 year later its unable to hold a charge anymore, then thats why.
This is a documented fact. and its why most OEM's only warranty the battery for one year.

You could "recondition" the battery yourself to get a little more life out of it by letting it full charge to full discharge 2 or 3 times, that would give the battery a little "workout".
Could help last a little longer.

Thank you

Collapse -
Well
by vicm3 / November 1, 2008 5:35 AM PDT

That's what it's say for the NiCD batteries... on Lion modern batteries the real problem is the heat, and constantly overdischarge, that is in fact what happened with my wife laptop, Rocket Dock on that particular configuration the fans where posing the battery on loong discharges and keeping the cpu hot, so in this particular case Rocket Dock helped to minimize my battery life, and as stated they have fixed some nasty cpu and memory leak problems on current version.

Collapse -
limited functionality
by scorpious / October 20, 2008 12:12 PM PDT

It's ok for a freebie just like objectdock,however the paid version of objectdock PLUS is way better than both,the first link is to any PNG icons you might like as they'll work for rocketdock, the 2nd link is to description of the plus version of OD {objectdock)
http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?libid=29
http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/

while i'm here look into at the wincustomize home site
cursor fx -free limited version or full bought
logon studio -free for personal use & free logons
my colors -6 free themes that include for each theme,windowblind,icons,cursor & widgets,there are other themes available tho you have to buy them but these 6 should kick start your customizing craze Silly

bootskin-free for personal use,WARNING: not all computers BIOS support the 3 versions of bootskin you will need to first know how to disable bootskin if it does'nt work,the tutorials are on site

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.