Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Is Roboform safe?

by bryan4418 / July 15, 2008 1:12 PM PDT

Can't hackers get at your passwords if you use this program?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Roboform safe?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Roboform safe?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No software is secure but Roboform is safe to use
by Donna Buenaventura / July 15, 2008 3:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Is Roboform safe?

It can encrypt your password so take advantage of that feature in Roboform.

Collapse -
by TXBrandi / July 18, 2008 1:05 PM PDT

I can't really answer that, but I will say that I've had it for 4 or 5 years with no problems.

Collapse -
Safe, fast, nearly infallable
by HiF|yer / July 18, 2008 1:22 PM PDT

Been using Roboform for 4 years without a hiccup. It is just the best product of its type in the world. I have about 300 different and complex passwords and sign-ons and Roboform is always there on the money.

Collapse -
I have been using Roboform for years
by pcsinner / July 18, 2008 3:32 PM PDT

Good and reliable - does not work with Opera so I don't use Opera. Works with virtually everything else.

Collapse -
by richteral / July 18, 2008 10:01 PM PDT

Except that Opera has just become such a smooth, polished product it's a pity not to use it + it ranks as the safest browser of all. Quid pro quo, then.

Collapse -
by Donna Buenaventura / July 19, 2008 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Browsers

Opera don't need Roboform because it has a very nice password manager already and it's built-in Happy

Collapse -
Not likely
by wcrutcher / July 18, 2008 10:02 PM PDT

I have been using this program for several years and it is almost invaluable. I have it on my thumb drive so I can use it from work.
I recently bought an Apple MacBook and wish there was a Mac version.
All of the information resides on your hard drive/thumb drive. If you have spyware/antivirus software installed, your risks of losing the information to the outside is very small.

Collapse -
Yes It is
by Zangoole / July 19, 2008 10:00 PM PDT

Yes It's safe.
Just note that It's not hack proof
but It's 10 times more secure than any other way you want to use.

Collapse -
by gcpowers / July 19, 2008 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes It is

i cant say enough good things about this program,,,works perfectly now for over 3 yrs!!

Collapse -
by bryan4418 / July 22, 2008 12:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes It is

But I noticed that when you're logged in, you could just go to My Documents and see all your passwords.

Can't a hacker see the passwords as well?

Collapse -
I don't think so
by jjtech7 / February 9, 2011 7:11 PM PST

why? because anyone who has your e-mail address can access your support tickets, and having this he can request. don't believe it?
this is all I need to access your support, and from there I'm going to need name on the card and maybe telephone number - all of this details are simple to get if you know the person. So actually in my opinion it's far from safe.

Collapse -
Replying to a 2008 discussion?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 9, 2011 7:20 PM PST
In reply to: I don't think so

I doubt the OP will see your answer after almost 3 years.

But let me ask you a question. That link you gave says to input an email address. It's only an image so I assume you have grabbed a screen print from the RoboForm website itself.

So tell me, if they send replies to the email address that is input, does that mean you also have access to the person's email account?

If so, the vulnerability is not, in my view, with RoboForm itself, but with the target's email account.

Or perhaps I am missing something from your post.

Collapse -
I didn't get what you mean in the first line, but.....
by jjtech7 / February 10, 2011 3:45 AM PST

no - they don't have access to your e-mail, but all you need to access support section in your account is email address. From there you need to be creative to get the rest.

I easily retrieved information. This is what you need (I copied reply from support:

Thank you for your message.
I understand that you have certain questions regarding RoboForm Pro version.
Unfortunately we were unable to find you in the database of registered RoboForm Pro users.

"For proof of purchase please send us:
- the original receipt that was emailed to you.

If you do not have this receipt, please send us:
- full name that you used when ordering,
- address that you used when ordering,
- email that you used when ordering,
- phone number that you used when ordering."

Keep in mind then after providing this details, everything needed to retrieve information from my account is ..... email address!

Collapse -
What I meant was
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 10, 2011 3:50 AM PST

you are replying to a discussion that is long gone. It started in 2008 and ended.

So, back to your post. Are you saying then that it isn't as easy as just inputting an email address? In other words, you need other personal details?

I still say that this is not simply a Roboform vulnerability but a user vulnerability. Such personal information can be used in so many other ways by fraudsters, and this is not limited to this application.

Collapse -
sorry - I kind of didn't look at the date...
by jjtech7 / February 10, 2011 4:53 AM PST
In reply to: What I meant was

just was looking for information on how to retrieve details from roboform.

"..Are you saying then that it isn't as easy as just inputting an email address?"

Actually doing this you won't get the passes unless they're in the 'online' database. And then I don't know if it's not password secured. So you won't get them easy. What you will get is the order number, address, card number, phone number etc. IMHO it's a hole in the system. I made an error thinking it's somehow possible to retrieve it from their database, but it appears now it is not, unless it's the one 'online' accessible from anywhere.

I will check how you can access these and what information you need, but I believe they must have it password secured.

Sorry for confusion. I would still strongly recommend not to use anything personal in the support ticket, as IT IS very easily accessed.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for clearing that up.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 10, 2011 6:13 PM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.