TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Is old Sony STR-GX700ES receiver worth repairing?

by esesjay / January 2, 2011 4:36 AM PST

I have a 14-year-old Sony receiver (STR-GX700ES) that still works but has 2 problems. First, the on/off button on the front panel is broken-- it got pushed in too far but I can still use the remote control to power it on and off. Second, and more importantly, no audio signal gets to the speakers unless I "jiggle" the A/B knob for the speakers on the front panel. I can hear an electronic "clicking" sound when I jiggle it but it is very temperamental. Feels like a bad connection inside or something is loose. I once took off the top panel to see if it was something mechanical that I could fix but I believe its an electronic issue and beyond my expertise.

My question is: can these be repaired? Would it be worth the time and money or is this model too obsolete? Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is old Sony STR-GX700ES receiver worth repairing?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is old Sony STR-GX700ES receiver worth repairing?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A nice tech could clear up at least one of those.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2011 8:52 AM PST

The power button would require inspection but that jiggle is too often just some solder pads that need a little more solder and reflowing.

It's not very high tech repair but finding the right tech at the right place is what you need.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply
by esesjay / January 2, 2011 11:24 AM PST

I'm sure there is someone, somewhere that could fix this. My concern is who, and at what cost? Finding a good tech is not proving to be easy or convenient. Repairs through Sony can be very timely and cost prohibitive. If its going to cost a few hundred dollars, I'd just as soon buy something new. My purpose here is to possibly find some insight in to a cheap and easy solution, if possible.

Collapse -
This is how many discover they can solder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2011 11:46 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the reply

Here's video about solder connections.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2536860/tangent_tutorial_2_basic_soldering_techniques_vol_2_hot_to_do_clips/

There are plenty out there to show what cracks in solder looks like too.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://home.comcast.net/~tatng/Auto/MainRelay-5-cracked-joint.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f13/fixed-main-relay-pictures-88478/&usg=__TQH-1D_9sicifJy7qe3htg-3dJE=&h=226&w=432&sz=22&hl=en&start=1&sig2=mO8W-l9vAaH7hGHg1sF4vQ&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=FyaLlL8emSO7jM:&tbnh=66&tbnw=126&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcracked%2Bsolder%2Bjoint%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=IUYhTYTLLIWesQOelcCGCg

Or http://home.comcast.net/~tatng/Auto/MainRelay-5-cracked-joint.JPG

You can imagine that these are a bit tough for most to catch. That's why I just reflow joints on any pot that is losing connections.
Bob

Collapse -
Fixed mine after seeing this post!
by raaburto / November 23, 2012 10:02 AM PST

After I saw this post and the photos I did a little more research and found that the part in question is no longer available so the decision was really made for me that I was going to fix this on my own. I opened things up on the receiver and found that on this particular speaker A-B switch I had exactly the cracking of the solder as in the photos. After spending about $20 for tools and supplies and watching a couple of brief videos on how to do this, I did it! Problem solved. Thank you. Happy

Collapse -
Hurrah!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2012 12:22 AM PST

Good going. You saved over 100 bucks compared to the usual shop charge. Thanks for the report. I enjoy reading when folk dive in and learn when end of the solder iron to pick up.
Bob

Collapse -
Obviously, it's NOT obsolete.
by ahtoi / January 2, 2011 9:14 AM PST

You are still using it, hehe. Honestly, I don't think anyone of us can answer your question. I think anything, if not most, can be repair but I think the question is how much is it worth to you to get it repair.

Collapse -
Cost
by esesjay / January 2, 2011 11:16 AM PST

My concern is cost. I realize anything can be repaired but is it a model that is so old that parts and (in some cases) know-how become cost prohibitive? If its going to cost more than a few hundred dollars to ship and repair, I'd just as soon by a new one. You know? Any guestimates on cost?

Collapse -
Find a local TV/Electronics repair shop
by Dan Filice / February 6, 2011 7:25 AM PST
In reply to: Cost

Near where I live, there a a few TV/Radio independent repair shops, plus several that look more professional with all the name brand banners on the outside. Years ago I had a receiver repaired and the non-refundable deposit to analyze the problem was something like $60 or $80. If your problem is as easy as replacing the On/Off switch and re-soldering another connection, it shouldn't be too expensive.

Collapse -
local TV/Electronics repair shop
by islebull / February 6, 2011 12:12 PM PST

thanks for your reply and suggestion.
as I mentioned, I live in Hawaii -- Big Island -- and I will have to hunt for such a repair shop ... but it is worth a try as I am unable to locate a new unit for sale, anywhere on the INET for that matter. and I do/DID love that receiver!!

Collapse -
(NT) I have/HAD the exact problem ....
by islebull / February 6, 2011 5:37 AM PST
Collapse -
I have/HAD the exact same problem ....
by islebull / February 6, 2011 5:45 AM PST

I was unable to fix it and it just got worse and worse and finally stopped functioning at all. I thought it was because I live in Hawaii and have had other electronics (receivers, etc) fail with faulty switches, like the volume control.
but it is interesting to see another person with the EXACT problem .... real bummer, I love this receiver with it's 3 channel logic and have setup my 'music room' accordingly. I am trying to find a new/used replacement as I speak but not much luck ... again, IN Hawaii your choices are limited. good luck ...

Collapse -
Sony STR-GX700ES - A/B switch fixed
by dr222 / July 30, 2011 4:09 AM PDT

I <span id="INSERTION_MARKER">had the extact same problem with my A/B switch and easily repaired it. A guy who couldn't fix his GX700 just gave it to me so...
<span>

<span>First I opened the unit and found that the A/B knob is on a small circuit board that is labelled part number 1-656-588-11. This should be a part that can be ordered from Sony, but...
<span>

<span>I wanted to get my new stereo up and running right away I just did this:
<span>1. Remove the control board which connects to the main display board
<span>2. The 4 pins the connect the A/B board to the main display board are (from top to bottom) - IN, OFF, B, A
<span>3. Connect IN to A and B.

Collapse -
re: Sony STR-GX700ES - A/B switch fixed
by Riccarr / December 31, 2014 8:57 AM PST

Almost 5 years later ... that tip is still good! Thanks, dr222! The wiring trick on the A+B pins worked for me. Thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.