Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

is my laptop wi-fi enabled?

by dan31623 / June 11, 2008 7:05 AM PDT

Hi, i recently bought a new laptop and its the first time i've ever used a laptop so i dont know alot about them. the problem im having is that im going on holiday and it said there was a wi-fi access point there but i dont know what i need to connect to it when im there. my laptop is a Advent 5302 with 250 hdd 2gb mem and vista home premium with a intel core duo t5550 1.8ghz pcu. its got a antenna light symbol next to the power on light. the sticker on the laptop says '10/100 mbit LAN' and 'wireless LAN b/g' i know this is something to do with it but i dont understand it. oh and im from the u.k if that makes any differnce. if anyone could help me out that would be great thanx. Dan

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: is my laptop wi-fi enabled?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: is my laptop wi-fi enabled?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: WiFi
by Kees Bakker / June 11, 2008 7:16 AM PDT

All you need:
- your laptop
- possibly money or a creditcard to pay for the connection
- if there's a physical switch on the laptop, it must be said to 'enabled' (it could be disabled by default or for security reasons) -
- the software to make the connection is either the default Windows one (that works quite well) or a manufacturer specific application - I don't know Advent so I can't tell you.
- those machine specific details might be in the documentation or some help program

It's not that difficult. Here are a two links to read:
http://www.vista4beginners.com/How-to-setup-a-wireless-connection
http://www.propeller.com/viewstory/2007/03/29/windows-vista-tip-how-to-setup-and-connect-to-a-wireless-network/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.watchingthenet.com%2Fwindows-vista-tip-how-to-setup-and-connect-to-a-wireless-network.html&frame=true

It's quite likely they can help you to connect where you are going to. And you need them anyway to tell you the SSID (network name) and the security settings and password you need to logon. So probably they'll have a written guide on how to do it.

If you've got a friend or family member with a 'wireless router' you can try there.

Best of luck,

Kees

Collapse -
so... what was the problem?
by bentarm / July 2, 2008 10:23 AM PDT

I've just bought exactly the same computer, and am having exactly the same problem - did you get yours solved? I'm assuming there's a switch somewhere on the machine, but don't have the documentation with me, and can't find anything useful online. I guess I can RTFM in a week or so, but it'd be nice to be able to use it before then...

Collapse -
Pressing Fn-F10 is a good start...
by duncanphilpstate / August 13, 2008 6:36 AM PDT

My daughter just bought an Advent 5302 and couldn't get wireless working. After a bit of 'phone support from me, including finding this forum, she pressed Fn-F10 to turn on the wireless and the next time she went to Control Panel >>> Network and Sharing Centre, the machine found the signal. Note: it hadn't when we tried this the previous time.

Up to then there was no sign of a wireless card to instal in device manager.

So the key may be that Fn-F10 is a software switch to not only turn on the wireless, but to make the card enabled/ installable.

After that we followed what it says in link http://www.vista4beginners.com/How-to-setup-a-wireless-connection
and all seems to be working (fingers crossed).

Collapse -
where??!!!
by Lozimia2 / August 15, 2008 11:20 AM PDT

where did she press fn-f10???

Collapse -
Thanx a lot
by dan31623 / August 16, 2008 4:32 AM PDT

Yeah I just tried it too and it worked so thanks very much.

Collapse -
how to fix!!!!
by Lozimia2 / August 15, 2008 11:22 PM PDT

right I've literally just tried this and it flippin works!!! there is a button called fn on the bottom left side of the keyboard press that and F10 (the button with the antenna sign on the top right side, near the middle) and hold them. The antenna on the bottom will now light up and you can now connect to any wirless hub or router wherever. Hope that helped, (and thank you to the guy who suggested it)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.