Computer Help

Question

Is mimar sinan a virus

by gunnydawn / November 26, 2011 8:47 AM PST

I downloaded a free trial of avast internet security about 15 days ago and then decided I wanted to buy it today. I called the number referenced on avasts web page for help.
This got me an iyogi support person from India on the phone, The woman told me she would help me install
this. Then she tells me we need to set up a remote connection.

So she does the remote thing and then tells me she needs to look thru my pc to see if everything is ok before installing. She shows me something on my computer called mimar sinan and says
it's a virus. She says she needs to fix this first before going ahead with the avast
install. She says this is going to cost me $169.99 I said No and told her I would call them back if I wanted their help.

I ran my free trail version of avast and it found nothing. It did say there were files it couldn't scan because they are password protected. Is this mimar sinan a virus and something I need to be worried about? Why isn't my avast finding it and removing it? She also told me that it happened because I had other virus programs on my pc which I have tried to remove without success.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is mimar sinan a virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is mimar sinan a virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I have to say
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 26, 2011 8:17 PM PST
In reply to: Is mimar sinan a virus

I'm confused. I am not at all sure about the use of Iyogi as a Remote Technical Support service and it is not something I would ever use myself. I don't understand why you would need a remote call center type service to purchase then install an anti-virus scanner, and I am surprised that a recognised leader in the anti-virus industry like Avast would require you to telephone them for support. I am also surprised that they would need to take over your machine and scan it for malware first, before allowing you to purchase and install this software utility.

But then, seeing your comment that Iyogi wanted nearly $170 to continue doesn't confuse me at all. It's all money!

Before I go further I would note that you have raised this matter a couple of times already at the Avast Forums;
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=89158.0 and
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=89152.0

Whilst I understand your concerns and needing more answers, making multiple posts just confuses the issue and may duplicate advice, or may even contradict.

That said, I went to the Avast web site and followed the links as if I was going to purchase their software, and I landed here; https://store.avast.com/store?Action=DisplayPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=avast&id=QuickBuyCartPage

Note, since I am in the UK the billing form shows that, but even so, the form should be the same for you wherever you are. I see the option to pay by credit/debit card, or other payment schemes. But no requirement to contact Iyogi. Obviously I didn't proceed, so I can't tell if this Iyogi requirement is on another page.

So, this is all a bit confusing.

Did you know Avast have a free anti-virus suite? http://www.avast.com/en-us/index We find free versions work just as well as paid versions without some cosmetic 'bells and whistles'.

You're right to have suspended that phone call to Iyogi. My first thought is 'misleading' and my second is, 'quite unnecessary'. So, personally I would forget Iyogi and their expensive rates, and start again.

So, can you tell us what anti-virus software you have running at the moment? Do you have any other security software running, eg anti-malware, firewall, etc? If so, what are they?

I did some research on this MimarSinan and found their web site. I'm not going to paste the link here because my browser security add-on WOT, (Web of Trust), gave me a Yellow for 'warning' mark against it. Their scorecard is here; http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/mimarsinan.com

There's no real reason for their warning, so I can't be entirely sure, but I tend to back-away when I see anything that doesn't feel quite right.

Other than that, Google search for MimarSinan doesn't really show up anything conclusive. There are suggestions it is related to malware but not specifically a virus, so at this stage I wouldn't be too concerned about it. We can use other tools to scan for malware later if you wish, but it would be good to know what utilities you have at your disposal first.

Let us know.

Mark

Collapse -
Just an added note.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 26, 2011 8:28 PM PST
In reply to: I have to say

Someone else has just come across this Iyogi Call center, as discussed here;
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-548488.html

It seems your first inclination to 'not pay' may have been right. That other poster doesn't seem to have been so lucky.

Mark

Collapse -
One of the "Other Posters' Re: Issues with iYogi
by jeaneustice / February 25, 2012 4:03 AM PST
In reply to: Just an added note.

Mark, you seem to know exactly what has happened to so many of us who have tangled with iYogi.

My question of you is simply..."What are reputable companies like Avast and HP thinking about when they provide the conduit for scam artists like iYogi to hook up with their unwitting users???????"

I, for one, do not intend to rest until I have dealt iYogi some serious misery!

jean in VA

Collapse -
What conduit is that?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 25, 2012 8:31 PM PST

Remember, these are PCs, Personal Computers. We use them as we wish. Neither HP nor any of the other computer manufacturers nor suppliers have any control over what we do with them after they have been supplied, so I am unsure why you think manufacturers and suppliers have any responsibility what we do with them.

As for Avast and other anti-virus scanning software developers and suppliers, they are usually very good at finding and handling viruses, but we find that we also need other software protection against 'malware'. Anti-virus scanners do not detect those.

But in any case, this discussion is not about any of that. It is about a so-called online service that says it can help us users to solve problems on our PCs via Remote Support. If users wish to allow their PCs to be taken over by complete strangers then there is absolutely nothing manufacturers, retailers and anti-virus companies can do about that.

As I said above, this is not something I would consider, but sadly others do and while I understand the reasons, I do wish there was something that could be done to prevent such unscrupulous web sites and their owners from causing so much distress, The problem is the internet is largely unregulated and attempts to regulate it have, so far, been met with strong opposition by those who want to Keep the internet free from government control (Google Search), both in the US and elsewhere.

Here's an analogy. You buy a car from a dealer. Does either the dealer or the car's maker tell you how fast to drive, or force you to keep it in good working order?

We do out best here in these forums to notify and inform PC users of the dangers out there, but we recognise that these are, still, personal computers, and we can't enforce anything.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
I see you are over at Avast! Forums
by mchainmchain / November 26, 2011 8:36 PM PST
In reply to: Is mimar sinan a virus

gunnydawn,

The people over at avast forum are pretty good people.

You are not the first, nor will you be the last, person to have run afoul of iyogi support. Mystery to me as to how Avast! is connected to iyogi support, but over at avast! they will guide you in removing several antivirus and security programs on your computer, as well as removing mimarsinan, if it is there, from your computer.

A Google search of mimarsinan is inconclusive at best, with a few sites stating it is malware, and other references have it referring to other things other than malware.

At avast! forums, a company representatlive has come in several times regarding complaints re iyogi, and has at times, been able to resolve issues a user may have had with them.

You have two issues:

1.) Multiple security programs installed. Only one antivirus, and only one firewall should be installed and running at the same time. Hence the need to completely uninstall one type before installing a new one.

2.) mimarsinan virus. If you know the location of this file, you can upload it to this site and check with 42 antivirus scanners. Windows search on your computer should give you the location of this file. It should look like this:

C:\Program Files\mimarsinan.exe or something similar. The actual location may be different. Write it down.

Then:

Click this link: http://www.virustotal.com/ and use the browse button to find the file at the location you wrote down. If this file is on your computer, Virus Total will find it and upload it for testing.

Next:

Click the upload button and wait for the scan results to complete. Any result of more than two antivirus programs reporting as malware is to be looked at as this file as suspicious, at the very least.

You should also post the results at avast! as well.

To do this, highlight the http: address in the address bar above, right-click and select 'Copy'. You should have two tabs open at the same time, one for the forum you are in, and the other for Virus Total. You want to copy the url (the http part) after the scan at Virus Total has completed.

Return to the forum you are currently in and right click the message body box and select 'Paste'. The url you have just copied will appear in your text.

Clicking the url you have just pasted will take you to your current scan of mimarsinan.exe. As others will be able to do the same, the option of getting relevant advice will be available to you.

Collapse -
Additional information about Mark's reply
by mchainmchain / November 26, 2011 9:03 PM PST

Here is direct information about MimarSinan.com website, but the link provided is known to be safe. Quite a few links re this site are unsafe to visit, so do not go visit them unless you have a web safety rating tool such as WOT (Web of Trust) installed in your browser.

Here: http://www.ip-adress.com/whois/mimarsinan.com Note that there are several sites linked to this main site. Scroll about half-way down to view. Perhaps you may have visited one of them recently?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.