Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Is Linksys router incompatible with Vista?

by slambeau / August 25, 2008 3:55 PM PDT

I am trying to hook up 2 laptops to my home wireless network. My main Desktop, a Dell, OS is Windows XP professional as is my other desktop one is connected wirelessly with a Linksys Ultra RangePlusN Model# WRT160N router. I have two university students both with Vista (one is on an Acer and the other a Dell) who are unable to connect although they have internal wireless adapter capabilities. Linksys says they are aware of the problem with Vista. One of the students bought her Dell Inspiron at Best Buy with Vista 2 months ago and the Geek squad wants to charge over $150 to come to the house or $119.00 for over the phone service to properly configure my router. Has anyone out there dealt with this problem? Is there a problem with Vista or the way my router is configured. Thanks, will give more info if needed.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Linksys router incompatible with Vista?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Linksys router incompatible with Vista?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's compatible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2008 12:05 AM PDT

I have yet to find the router (any in fact) that is incompatible. I do however find many reasons (too many to list here) for it to not connect. The most common is the old advice about disabling SSID broadcast.

-> Head to our Networking Forum and its sticky (link below) and try it per the forum sticky. Read

That's the setup I use everywhere and never an issue due to the router.

Collapse -
I have heard
by Jimmy Greystone / August 27, 2008 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: It's compatible.

I have heard from reliable sources that there are some issues with Vista's UPnP and some routers. Usually a firmware update will fix the problem.

I haven't run into it myself, but I've only run a Vista machine with a Linksys WRT54GS v1.1 running the Tomato custom firmware, which I can say seems compatible. At least versions 1.19-1.21 seem compatible.

Collapse -
In our Networking Forum Sticky.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2008 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: I have heard

We do note the firmware update item. Thankfully after hundreds of setups I have yet to encounter a single incompatible router. HOWEVER the setup software on CD is an entirely different matter. But who uses that?

Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / August 27, 2008 3:28 AM PDT

Sadly, all too many people. I can say that when setting up the DSL modem for my AT&T DSL service, you are all but forced to use the supplied CD. There are instructions on setting this all up without it, but they are NOT easy to find, even if you're looking for them, and they're only found on AT&T's website. So unless you have an existing Internet connection or knew what to expect ahead of time, it's easy to think that's your only option.

I generally agree with you, but it is sometimes easy to forget that what is largely second nature to you and me, is not necessarily so for others. Many people are incredibly intimidated by the very idea of networking, even if it's just connecting one computer to a router. Given that it costs money to basically duplicate what someone can do via the router's web interface, router makers wouldn't be making those setup discs if they didn't think people were using them as more than coasters.

Collapse -
Sadly (more.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2008 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Sadly

The makers of this stuff have failed us. However they have created a great revenue stream for Eek Fraud and other companies that are changing a fee that while may seem at first exorbitant it's for all the backup they need when they send out the poorly trained staff.

Most consumers expected a lot better. I know I am constantly surprised to see bad documentation in today's products and sometimes none at all.

Collapse -
Vista router incompatibility
by ktcmojo / August 26, 2008 6:12 PM PDT

I had the same problem. You need new drivers and for the router. I asked someone at circuit city to burn me a copy and it worked fine with Vista.

Collapse -
It's just a setup issue.
by bknowledge / August 27, 2008 5:02 AM PDT

Linksys routers work fine with Vista. My Dell has never dropped a connection. The real issue is that linksys routers can be a real pain to setup the wireless. So use the desktop(wired) to log into the router web-interface and take it one step at a time.
Change the SSID name but leave it visible and leave the wireless security turned off. Save, then try to connect with a laptop using wireless.
Once you get the laptops connected you can turn on the wireless security & mac filtering. Just remember to save after each change to the setting and reconnect with the laptops.
You should be fine and the laptops will connect without issue. Linksys may be a pain to setup but once running there is never any problems.

Collapse -
Re: It's just a setup issue.
by slambeau / August 27, 2008 3:32 PM PDT

I was able to get one of the Vista laptops online wirelessly by configuring the router as an unsecured network but the other Vista laptop refuses to connect to an unsecured network. Period. It decides what is a secure network. I know that the network is unsecured but I am in the middle of nowhere and that is not an issue. I am a little peeved that Vista will make that decision for you and I do not think that it can be overwritten. Sorry just venting a little. So that laptop is connected by an ethernet cable to the router and the other laptop is wirelessly connected. My two desktops are also connected. Thanks all for your feedback.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.