Laptops forum

General discussion

Is Lenovo a good brand?

by Kixdemp / November 17, 2006 10:45 AM PST

Hello everyone!
I need a new laptop, my Toshiba Satellite A75 just sucks.
I can't spend anything more than $1,000... (maybe just a few extra bucks are OK)
I was browsing NewEgg and I found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834146142

I like it, affordable price with warranty included... The only thing I didn't like was the CPU speed, but I guess that's alright.

I mainly want it to browse the web and play non-high-end games, like:
* ePSXe (PlayStation emulator)
* Soldat
* GunZ

I believe it can do that, since my 1.4 GHz desktop can. I just don't want any downgrades from my overheating A75.

Can anybody give me advice? Is this the correct laptop for me, or can anyone suggest anything better?

Thanks very much! Wink

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Lenovo a good brand?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Lenovo a good brand?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why that with the Core 2 Duo model at 650?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2006 11:08 AM PST

They also have that Core 2 Duo with just about everything at 650. Why not compare that one? You can get it direct from lenovo.com

Bob

Collapse -
Agree with Bob. . .
by Coryphaeus / November 17, 2006 9:36 PM PST

and to answer your subject title question, I'm on my second IBM/Levono laptop and you'd have to kill me to take it.

Collapse -
Check out the Lenovo Holiday Sale
by Nooorm / November 18, 2006 7:03 AM PST

visit lenovo.com...some greate deals.

Collapse -
Games?
by Kixdemp / November 20, 2006 4:54 AM PST
Collapse -
Keep shopping.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2006 5:53 AM PST
In reply to: Games?

And watch for better 3D marks.

Collapse -
What do you expect?
by Nooorm / November 20, 2006 11:00 AM PST
In reply to: Games?

"However, that review says it can't play games, with 470 3D Marks... "

It's an 4.0 portable with integrated graphics. If games are a primary need for this laptop, the V100 is the wrong one to look at. You'll certain need something like a Z61m, N100 or a T Series...if you're looking at Lenovos.

Collapse -
Argh...
by Kixdemp / November 20, 2006 11:56 AM PST
In reply to: What do you expect?

I looked into those... I also looked at others, and I liked these:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2965&review=Dell+XPS+M1210
But... $1,199 my behind, the thing went to like $1,900 with the "good stuff"...
Are there any gaming notebooks that cost less than $1,200? I don't want to play HL2 or some highly sophisticated games, just stuff like Soldat, Worms, or even GTA:VC and PS1 games if I'm not asking too much... If not, should I take the N100 with minimum specs (posted below) or is there anything better? I really like the reviews about Lenovo... Thanks!

Collapse -
PS1 games?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2006 12:18 PM PST
In reply to: Argh...

I'd leave those on the PS2 (or PS1...) where it just works.

Gaming laptops really jack up the price.

As to Soldat, etc. I couldn't find their system requirements. Help us help you.

Bob

PS. I did read they don't support the i486.

Collapse -
Here.
by Kixdemp / November 22, 2006 8:10 AM PST
In reply to: PS1 games?

Nah, I don't have a PS1... :-P

Soldat sys. req:
333MHz CPU, 32 MB RAM, DirectX 8.1 and above
Should work... No?

GTA: VC sys. req:
800 MHz Intel Pentium III or 800 MHz AMD Athlon or 1.2GHz Intel Celeron or 1.2 GHz AMD Duron processor
128 MB of RAM
8 speed CD / DVD drive
915 MB of free hard disk space
(+ 635 MB if video card does NOT support DirectX Texture Compression)
32 MB video card with DirectX 9.0 compatible drivers ("GeForce" or better)
Sound Card with DirectX 9.0 compatible drivers Keyboard & Mouse

But... Hey, my current laptop can play these and it costed $1,300... The problem is that it overheats and shuts off for the smallest program it runs, and I have to clean it with a vacuum cleaner and close all my programs (including av) every time I want to play...

I'm sure there's a laptop for me... Thanks! Wink

Collapse -
Not so fast on that Lenovo Holiday Sale...
by ktenen / December 7, 2006 10:20 PM PST

As great as the sale sounds, beware! I ordered a Z61m Thinkpad on 11/12/06, and have yet to see it. It was supposed to ship yesterday, but today I got a notice that it won't ship until 1/9/2007. I called Lenovo to see what was going on, but all I've gotten are non-answers and "sorry", so at this point I'm thinking of canceling the order. Is two months a reasonable amount of time to wait for a computer? Doesn't Dell pump them out a bit faster? Anyone have suggestions for a replacement? I'm looking for a workhorse for home office use, basic productivity, document scanning, plus some home entertainment re: music and photos, but I'm not a gamer. Thanks!

Collapse -
Yes and no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2006 1:23 AM PST

Take a look at how long to get your PS3, Wii. Component shortages can be at play here. Since they can't get that model, try other models.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.