Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Is it worth converting from a windows pc to a mac?

by techfreack / July 27, 2006 11:08 AM PDT

Lately a computer of mine had been hacked though it was secure and all, and ever since then it hasnt been working properly. and i have been wanting to get rid of it and purchase a new computer. ive been keeping an eye on a mac seeing how they can use both XP and their own OS X tiger. and im the kind of person that does media stuff and not alot of gaming. so would it be better to go with a mac such as the mini or macBook, or just stay with stuff like Dell, sony,hp and alienware

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it worth converting from a windows pc to a mac?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it worth converting from a windows pc to a mac?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is it worth converting from a windows pc to a mac? Hell YES!
by Nunavik_Shroud / July 27, 2006 10:22 PM PDT

Were I you, I would try a Mini. Be sure to load it up with memory. It can use the keyboard and monitor you have now and is a cheaper way to get the Mac experience. When you discover that it does everything you want it to, you can unload it on eBay for nearly what you paid for it and go with a high end iMac, like I did. Be sure to get it from Apple on their web store and max it out re memory and HD size. It won't need anything else. Mine is awesome and I expect to be able to use it for years with out being forced into an upgrade by a new OS, connectivity issues or software demands.

Collapse -
Absolutely
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 28, 2006 2:48 AM PDT

Go ahead and do it, you will not feel sorry.

As the previous poster mentioned, you will be able to use your exisiting monitor and keyboard/mouse(if they are USB)

Go for it

P

Collapse -
I recommend the Mac mini to start, take time to learn
by wfairley / August 14, 2006 8:56 AM PDT

It's a different interface, but I promise it will not take a long time to get used to it. the Mac OS X interface and the Windows Vista and the Linux interfaces are slowly converging, but in the meantime, my positive Mac experiences have far outweighed my negative experiences, which is opposite for my Windows experiences. And my Linux experiences...

Give yourself a month or two of genuine learning ~ find a friend willing to coach you and let you look over his/her shoulder, and learn. It's worth the effort!

My next laptop will be a Macbook Pro! Imagine, after 20 years of working in technical support for Windows!

-Woody Fairley

Collapse -
thanks to all
by techfreack / August 15, 2006 3:39 AM PDT

thanks, i guess now ill deffinately get a mac mini to start out, and eventually get a notebook from apple.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i would get a base MacBook rather than a Mac mini...
by udayan71 / August 15, 2006 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks to all
Collapse -
Stay with Windows
by AmericanCliche / August 18, 2006 2:27 AM PDT

I WAS a mac user for quite a few years (I still buy macs as a secondary computer). Honestly, Apple isn't really a good choice for a primary computer system. Here are a few reasons why:

First, the Safari browser isn't as compatable with many webpages (i.e. myspace, Washington Mutual, B of A, and other sites). If you do a lot of internet browsing you're forced to use Firefox; which has its own issues with some sites.

Second, upgradability. Besides upgrading ram, there are really no other upgrades you can preform on your Apple. Sure if you buy the Mac Pro Quad workstation you can upgrade more components, but the base model of the Mac Pro is $2500 dollars.

Third, Windows Vista will resolve many of the issues some PC users had. Furthermore Windows Media Player 11 combine with players like the Toshiba Gigabeat S blow iTunes/iPod out of the water.

Overall I reccomend buying another Windows machine.

Collapse -
Popycock
by gilbertwhite1 / August 18, 2006 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Stay with Windows

Apparently the previous poster has an axe to grind with Apple.

1.Safari Browser, every bit as good if not better than I.E. you can also download firefox or EI: for Mac. That is only if you happen to have a lax webmaster and if you absolutely have to go to those types of sites where "perhaps" the display is troubling...very rare.

2. Upgradability, other than ram or possibly a larger HD, generally upgrading is costly. Buy the machine you need whether is is used or new...Also look at Apple site and google for accessories that you may need for the model you are interested in?...Tilt, lots of gizmos out there.

3. Windows Vista...read the newsgroups, sure it will be better than XP..Already issuing security patches on Beta Vista..why isn't it out?...Because it is full of glitches and holes...The Itunes/Ipod have 75 percent of Market.... Guess I just don't get it!

Collapse -
Not True
by RaeAtkinson / August 18, 2006 6:02 AM PDT

I visit myspace everyday with my Safari Browser and have no issues. I have never really had any problems navigating to Any page with Safari. Even when applying for Financial Aid and the government's webpage said nothing about Safari being supported.

Collapse -
not really a fan of that giga beat
by techfreack / August 18, 2006 8:15 AM PDT

that was somewhat good advice and thanks to that, but im really a die hard iPod fan and i doubt that I'll get any other mp3 player

Collapse -
Get an iMAC
by zurple07 / August 20, 2006 10:00 PM PDT

I was a Windows user for many years and finally got fed up the viruses, crashes and blue screen of death an bought an iNAC 20" intel and love it! Personally, I would buy the iMAC rather than the mini because you'll spend almost the cost on an LCD, keyboard/mice, etc. Best purchase I ever made and I will never buy another Windows PC. Safari works fine. I haven't found a sight yet that I can't visit. MSNBC News requires IE, Windows Media Player to watch video clips of news, so I go to CNN and watch the news video there on quicktime. I have no desire to run Windows on this computer as I bought the Mac to get away from window problems. Mac rocks when it comes to media!
Get a MAC you won't regret it.

Jim

Collapse -
thanks for the tip and thanks to all
by techfreack / August 22, 2006 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Get an iMAC

i have thrown all other brands out of my choices for my next computer and will now deffinately get either a mac mini or Imac in the few following months as i get this office of mine done.

RG

Collapse -
questions about converting to mac form pc
by PhilipLisa1 / January 23, 2011 9:38 AM PST

I'd like to move to an IMAC but I have a few concerns.

1. I use Outlook for addresses and calendar and sinc to my Blackberry. I have heard that the Outlook version for MAC will not allow this. What are your experiences?
2. What about the MAC version of Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe? Does it work as well as the PC version?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
MS Money
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 23, 2011 8:15 PM PST

does not exist for the Mac.
MS never made one.

Not familiar with the latest version of Office so that question remains to be answered.

You would have been better starting a new thread for your questions, digging up a 5 year old thread means that one has to wade through posts before reaching yours.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.