Phones forum

Is It Smart to have a Smart Phone?

by Old Gen 4 / January 31, 2013 7:16 AM PST

Is It Smart to have a Smart Phone?

I have a Captain Kirk type Cell Phone - Opens like a clam. It is very good as a Phone and for Text Messages as the Keys are large enough for my fingers.

I have thought about getting a Smart Phone - Looked at a few, they seem to be miniature computers - I liked the idea of larger screens - Looking at pages on the Internet is easier - Although the amount of times I would want to do this when out and about is small. Getting e-mails on the bigger screens - Yes Good.

The biggest gripe for me seems to be allowing all your personal information to be seen and used by people and organisations you do not know, not having control over your own data anymore.

Would you give total control of your computer to others? - Passwords, why bother, since you have allowed total control to someone you do not know.

If you go to the Address given below:

Then Permissions Tag

Have a good read and please comment

Regards Old Gen 4

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is It Smart to have a Smart Phone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is It Smart to have a Smart Phone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
That's nothing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 2:21 PM PST

Research this on google.

CIQ Mother of all root kits.

And even your non-smart phone has similar logging. It just gets better with more smarts.

Will you unplug?

Collapse -
Bob, THAT is scary!
by btljooz / February 1, 2013 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: That's nothing.

I did do a search for it (NOT on google!) and that is very scary in deed! What a slippery slope we are on!

That is precisely why my phone has never been and never will be allowed on the internet, amongst other reasons. I wonder, does that sort of logging go out over the cell towers like it does the internet? If so, we are all so scrood[sic].

Collapse -
btljooz. Now the serious part is over, a fun video.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2013 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: Bob, THAT is scary!
Collapse -
That was funny.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / February 2, 2013 1:36 AM PST

Good one, Bob!!

Collapse -
That was hilarious...
by btljooz / February 2, 2013 7:44 AM PST

...on one hand... On the other, well, ...I just gotta shake my head in amazement Silly .... but with a smirk on my face! Devil

Collapse -
Smart to have a Smart Phone
by williamzach221 / January 31, 2013 9:53 PM PST

it is smart to have a smart phone and to have a good Anti virus protection is also best for the smart phone.

Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 11:01 PM PST

There is no clear evidence that an antivirus application is needed on a smartphone yet. It is a matter of user preference. In some cases it dramatically slows system performance.

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2013 12:23 AM PST

I really need to add Symantec to my portfolio since folk are falling for this one.

Collapse -
You are a little late to the party
by Pepe7 / February 1, 2013 12:16 AM PST

Amigo, we all lost control over our data a long time ago. The apathy of the masses regarding letting big business and the government getting in bed together was the kiss of death. It's only going to get worse when the average person finally wakes up to what's been happening in the world.

That said, just enjoy the new technologies. Unless there's something significant you have to worry about in your personal data, there's no reason not to improve your mobile internet & telecommunication experience.

Collapse -
Trust Norton?
by btljooz / February 1, 2013 9:30 AM PST
Not on your tin-type! Especially after getting a load of what you pointed us to!!! NO WAY! And if Norton is capable of that AND disclosing it to boot, I wonder how long they've been capable of that and what other "apps" are capable of the same thing. I bet that most are. There was a story on my local news the other night about apps that trick people into buying virtual merchandise and then CHARGE their phone bill for that VIRTUAL merchandise. What a SCAM!!!!! How is this even LEGAL????????

I'm surely glad that I do not have a "smart" phone. Nor will I ever. Plain I have no need for one. I have a desktop computer for e-mail, etc. Cool That has a plenty big enough screen! Wink Thank you very much. Cool

My Samsung Rugby II is all I need....actually, it's more than I need. All I use it for is to store phone numbers on, as an alarm clock, occasionally for a calculator, for the occasional reminder and, of course for what it is - a phone. I do NOT text. I feel that if a person can text then they can TALK! = Texting is a colossal waste of time, energy and is way too dangerous to one's 'privacy', etc. ...even if they are too complacent to care!!! Remember the old rule that Mom used to teach us which said something about not putting certain things in writing? Confused Well, there you go! Mischief

I did pay a LOT more for my Rugby II than what CNET shows in their Review. At the time I
bought it from AT&T (Sept. 2010), it was $300+/- with a contract and
about $500 without. I got a Rugby because of its ruggedness as I do tend to punish a
phone a bit by hanging it from my pants pocket. Now, the Rugby III is
out and it's much less money than its predecessor.

All that said, my room mate has a Blackberry Curve. He's actually on his third one in about four or five years. While the basic concept of the Blackberry is great, the way that RIM implements it has NOT been a good thing. They did finally get the clue and got rid of the trackball for a track pad and then ditched both of them for a touch screen. But it does have a "qwerty" keyboard, which is kinda nice even though the keys are "microscopic" my standards anyway!
Collapse -
BB Curve?
by Pepe7 / February 4, 2013 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: Trust Norton?

Is the aforementioned roomy wearing parachute pants too(?) (Just kidding Wink

Collapse -
by btljooz / February 4, 2013 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: BB Curve?

No, he wouldn't be caught dead in parachute pants! And if you ever said something like that to him to his face you probably wouldn't like the outcome. Mischief 'nuff said Plain

Collapse -
BUT one more thing, Pepe
by btljooz / February 4, 2013 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: @Pepe7

When you get a "new" phone from AT&T on warranty/insurance you do NOT get an upgrade. You get what you originally bought. And it NOT new, either. It's a reconditioned unit. Plain

Collapse -
I'm confused
by Pepe7 / February 4, 2013 3:22 AM PST

When did I state otherwise, btw? [....said while pointing over at pile of old ATT branded phones obtained as such.....] And why is this topic being bolted on to this particular thread(?)

However, just to partially correct what you've written above, FWIW you might not always get the same phone if inventories do not match what the customer is attempting to replace via warranty/insurance.

Collapse -
And yet.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 3:24 AM PST

.....when making a warranty claim, you aren't returning a new phone. Technically a used phone is replaced with another "used phone". I am not sure why so many folks feel the deserve a new phone as a replacement.

Collapse -
Good point
by Pepe7 / February 4, 2013 1:09 PM PST
In reply to: And yet.....

I guess I never thought of it that way. Sounds reasonable to me.

Collapse -
by btljooz / February 4, 2013 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: And yet.....

When making a warranty claim on a brand new item that is defective one deserves a brand new item that is NOT defective back because a brand new item that is NOT defective is what one has PAID FOR!

What is beyond me is how companies have lost their sense of ethics ..... ..... .....and why people are willing to be brainwashed into thinking that this is the right thing to do! It is most definitely NOT!

Collapse -
Maybe you didn't get the memo....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 11:32 PM PST
In reply to: @birdmantd

If a phone is defective during the first 30 days it will be exchanged for a new device, after that period it is a used phone. Refurbished devices are not necessarily defective to begin with. Recently my Droid Razr was giving me troubles after 9 months and the refurbished phone sent to me looks brand new out of the box. Many refurbished devices are because the original owner returned within the allotted time frame for the consumer to exchange for another device and it cannot be resold as new.

Don't confuse ethics with your sense of entitlement. You need to pick your battles more carefully because you have no idea what you are talking about.

Collapse -
Understand the marketplace before signing a contract and...
by Pepe7 / February 4, 2013 11:41 PM PST
In reply to: @birdmantd

...obtaining a device. There are pros and cons if you read the fine print. For those of us who swap out phones more frequently, the contracts/subsidized agreements are a good deal. Otherwise, I can see how buying extra insurance might meet one's expectations/use patterns. There's more involved in this scenario than simple 'ethics'.

That said, overall I think the subsidized phone model is a poor one, with somewhat unrealistic expectations by the consumer regarding how much the carriers pay for the devices, hence the sometimes poor assumption that the companies could easily replace defective phones at any time with a new model.

Collapse -
Agreed with you Pepe7....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / February 5, 2013 12:28 AM PST

The current subsidized phone model is flawed. Problem is that the majority of consumers cannot or will not pay the full unsubsidized equipment price.

Collapse -
@pepe and birdy, both...
by btljooz / February 8, 2013 8:01 AM PST

I suppose you two are both way too young to remember back when ALL telephones were owned by The Telephone Company (Ma Bell) before it was split up. So, therefore, to you kids this model is flawed when in reality the model we have today is the one with the most flaws. 'nuff said. buh-bye! Mischief

Collapse -
Smart to have a Smart Phone
by DerekRose81 / February 6, 2013 8:20 PM PST

I have been using a smart phone and I have not had any kind of problems with it. It is very practical to check my emails and to acess internet. But if you have some kind of fears is better to install a good Anti virus protection. This this kind of software you can enjoy all the time the benefits of smart phone Happy

Collapse -
In reply to "Smart to have a Smart Phone" by DerekRose81
by btljooz / February 8, 2013 8:19 AM PST

What Derek says is true enough.

But, ya know? In the end, it really doesn't matter a whole lot what kind of device you use to traverse the Internet and how "secure" it may be or how "secure" the device may be that it talks to at any one time when you think about how "secure" all the devices are that that particular information has to go through just to get from point A to point B. Just how "secure" are they?????? Confused

In addition to which, why should one become dependent upon devices when those devices can and will break down eventually and/or could get lost or stolen, etc. Just think about what can happen to all the personal information that people store in their devices. What would happen to that information when that device is lost or stolen? Confused

And what if the infrastructure for these devices fails for whatever reason??? How many would be prepared to live without their favored devices when forced to do so for whatever reason? Confused

Just some food for thought. Wink

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.