TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

is it possible to Record Direct TV DVR content to a DVD?

by bobbyr / December 7, 2007 8:11 AM PST

i have a direct tv DVR receiver; and i would like to save some of my recorded content, is it possible to connect a DVD recorder to my receiver and record to it?

thanks
B

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: is it possible to Record Direct TV DVR content to a DVD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: is it possible to Record Direct TV DVR content to a DVD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Direct TV to DVR
by bobbyr / December 14, 2007 1:32 AM PST

i haven't heard from anyone on this, is it because the threads don't sort by date, and nobody saw it?

Bobby

Collapse -
As for me...neither.
by ahtoi / December 14, 2007 9:41 AM PST
In reply to: Direct TV to DVR

I don't have a DVR so I can't comment on it. The only thing I know about it is its use for delay viewing. What kind of output does it have and have you try to record from it?

Collapse -
Directv DVR recording abiity to record to DVD Recorder
by a44magmn / December 14, 2007 1:54 PM PST

yes to both pre-HD and HD DVR models. I have newest Directv DVR FOR HD, model HR21. prior, I had the earlier R20.

Collapse -
Please expand on your answer
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 14, 2007 11:45 PM PST

Just how do you do this?

What output do you use?

P

Collapse -
need to know which DVR model u have, what tv name, model?
by a44magmn / December 15, 2007 1:30 AM PST

my HD Samsung tv av-2 output goes to my DVD Recorder input.
I record a program first to the Directv HD DVR model HR21, then play it back to tv to watch, sometimes editing out the commercials by fast forwarding thru the commercial. I can also just be ready to record to the HD DVR R21 by ptressing the OTR [one touch recording]button on the DVD Recorder. I can also set the timer on the DVD Recorder to begin recording for the exact time the program airs on tv, having the tv on the channel the program will appear on at the beginning time.

Collapse -
My Directv receiver model is R15 DVR Plus
by bobbyr / December 17, 2007 1:41 AM PST

There is a brief paragraph in my user manual titled, "Recording to VCR". It just mentions making the proper connections from the VCR to the Directv Plus Receiver, then select a recorded program from the MyVOD tab in the playlist, set my VCR to record and play the selected program.

Now i am assuming if i use a DVD recorder, i thinking of getting the Sony VRDMC5 DVDirect DVD Recorder, and connect it to my receiver i can accomplish the same recording results? I will try to use the S-video for best quality, but has anyone had experience recording from the receiver to a DVD recorder? and what is the quality like?

thanks
Bob

Collapse -
Directv Plus Receiver recording to VCR or DVD Recorder
by a44magmn / December 17, 2007 4:05 AM PST

yes ... the Directv Plus Receiver menu is old, and DVD Recorders were not probably available yet. I asked Directv this last year.
they said to do what you read in the manual. select your event to Save to VCR, that the unit does not know the difference if the recording device is a VCR or a DVD Recorder. Start your recorder first, then slect the Save to VCR on the menu. I have a Liteon brand DVD Recorder that works great but I cannot find them anymore. I will have to research the Sony you mentioned. It should be fine because it is a Sony. lol

Collapse -
Recording to DVR/VCR
by bingels / January 27, 2008 2:58 AM PST

I just read this thread today and I realize it is old, but I would like to give my input. I have the Direct TV HD Tivo DVR (HR10-250), Panasonic 32" LCD HD TV, and the Panasonic DMR-EZ475V DVD/VCR recorder. You can read the review on CNET on the Panasonic DVD Recorder. I purchased the Panasonic DVR recorder to burn DVD's of programs (SD & HD) that I have saved on my Tivo HD DVR. The Panasonic DVR does a good job and the picture quality is good. A few tips: I have to first switch the Direct TV Tivo HD DVR to 480i in order for the Panasonic DVR to recognize and record the Tivo DVR program material and also live feed TV programs. This might not be necessary with other type DVR recorders. It will not work if you select Save to VCR from the Tivo Menu. Skip this step which is recommended in the Tivo instruction manual. At least with my Panasonic DVR it doesn't work. Live TV programming along with any program stored on the Tivo DVR HD receiver can be recorded to a DVD. One hour record mode and two hour will give you the best quality. The HD programs look the best and are very close to true HD. I was very surprised to discover this. Maybe my equipment has something to do with this. Anyone looking for a DVR recorder should read the CNET reviews on DVR recorders. My Panasonic DVR/VCR recorder will copy VHS tapes to DVD is one simple step. Panasonic offers good customer support. I know I'm plugging Panasonic with my comments, but I'm just giving my feedback on my personal experience with this type of recording. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Recording to DVR/VCR
by bobbyr / January 28, 2008 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: Recording to DVR/VCR

thanks for the post, this topic still gets hits from time-to-time... I haven't decided on a DVD-recorded yet because just as i started this thread then "upconverts" started appearing, now i am confused all over again. I don't have an LCD HD set yet, so maybe i will wait before i waste my money.

Only HD LCD 720 tv's are in my price range, i am not going to spend over a $1000 for a TV, doesn't make sense in this economy.

So what would an upconverted dvd-r do for me? anyone know???

thanks
B

Collapse -
How can I record from DirectTV DVR model HR 20- 700
by Wflyfish / August 6, 2008 4:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Recording to DVR/VCR

I have DirectTV DVR model HR 20 - 700. How can I record from DirectTV DVR HR 20 - 700 on to another DVDR to be recorded? Can I burn and/or copy recorded programs from the DirectTV DVR HR 20 - 700 onto another DVD Recorder?

Please provide details procedures if possible.

Collapse -
Recording/transferring DVR content onto a DVD media
by alcaponemafioso / December 5, 2008 4:18 AM PST

WFlyFish, it's a very simple process to record your Directv DVR content onto DVDs. 1) connect your DVR to your DVD recorder using an RCA (composite AV cable, marked with colors of red, white and yellow, 3 cables attached to each other), output from DVR to input of DVD recorder, using any available input on DVD recorder, usually marked input 1, input 2, and perhaps input 3, depending what kind of recorder you have. 2) using DVD recorder's remote control switch the input on your DVD recorder to the corresponding input which you have connected composite AV cable to the input on the back of your DVD recorder, this will sync DVR through your DVD recorder's channel. This method is similar to as if you'd connect your VCR to the TV and setting VCR's channel to CH 3. In modern DVD technology, the principle remains the same except CH 3 was replaced by input 1, input 2, input 3, AV in, etc. While you're recording the DVR content, you must stay on it until you finish recording. Otherwise if you change the channel on directv DVR, then it will record whatever is on your TV. I'm trying to say that this recording procedure is not the same as if you were recording a tv program onto your DVR and being able to watch something else while recoding a program from another channel. I'm not trying to edify either but only to be as specific and instructive as possible, so others can understand the principals of recording DVR's content onto DVD media. Please let me know if you succeed. Although the model of your DVR should have an "antena out to TV" that you can connect your DVR to DVD recorder using coaxial cable. It's the same kind of cable as it runs from your sat. Dish to the back of your DVR. Only in this case you would need to set the VCR/DVD input to Channel 3, to interact with DVR. Video quality is not as good as connecting through composite AV cables.

Collapse -
by mvega71 / December 5, 2008 2:41 PM PST

One of the later post says something about copyright problems with the new HD-DVR and I was wondering what model DVR you are using and can you record HD programming on a single disc? Are you able to do this with the new HD-DVR(HR20 and HR21)? I also have an older HD-DVR (HR10) that has the TiVo label on it, when Directv had a contract with TiVo. Maybe it will work on that one?

Collapse -
by FTv2 / December 20, 2008 1:12 PM PST

alcaponemafioso, thanks a lot for your detailed info.

My problem is I can't find any external DVD Writers with any other input than USB these days. If you have particular make and model, please let me know.

Collapse -
Take a look;
by ahtoi / December 21, 2008 3:49 PM PST
Collapse -
How to record from Direct Tv to my dvd /vcr recorder Sony
by Lmar55 / August 15, 2009 5:35 PM PDT

Hi alcaponemafioso, thank you for your advice on 12/5/2008
When you wrote it's very simple process to record from a Directv onto DVR recorder, I could not believe you, I tried it and it worked. This is what you adviced it.
it's a very simple process to record your Directv DVR content onto DVDs. 1) connect your DVR to your DVD recorder using an RCA (composite AV cable, marked with colors of red, white and yellow, 3 cables attached to each other), output from DVR to input of DVD recorder, using any available input on DVD recorder, usually marked input 1, input 2, and perhaps input 3, depending what kind of recorder you have. 2) using DVD recorder's remote control switch the input on your DVD recorder to the corresponding input which you have connected composite AV cable to the input on the back of your DVD recorder, this will sync DVR through your DVD recorder's channel. This method is similar to as if you'd connect your VCR to the TV and setting VCR's channel to CH 3. In modern DVD technology, the principle remains the same except CH 3 was replaced by input 1, input 2, input 3, AV in, etc. While you're recording the DVR content, you must stay on it until you finish recording. Otherwise if you change the channel on directv DVR, then it will record whatever is on your TV. I'm trying to say that this recording procedure is not the same as if you were recording a tv program onto your DVR and being able to watch something else while recoding a program from another channel. I'm not trying to edify either but only to be as specific and instructive as possible, so others can understand the principals of recording DVR's content onto DVD media. Please let me know if you succeed. Although the model of your DVR should have an "antena out to TV" that you can connect your DVR to DVD recorder using coaxial cable. It's the same kind of cable as it runs from your sat. Dish to the back of your DVR. Only in this case you would need to set the VCR/DVD input to Channel 3, to interact with DVR. Video quality is not as good as connecting through composite AV cables.

Collapse -
hr21 to dvd
by meizydavid / January 7, 2008 11:48 AM PST

to get a true quality HD should you not get
connected using RGB connections ?
has anyone done this and what unit for a DVD recorder ?

Collapse -
recording to Sony VRDMC5 from DirecTv or cable DVR
by cazar / February 2, 2008 11:31 PM PST
In reply to: hr21 to dvd

My Sony VRDMC5 will not record any programs from any premium channels. I usually record to tape all or part of Bill Maher or some news or docus from HBO or other premium channels. The Sony will show a screen that says copyright restrictions. Is there any DVD recorders that will record these programs?

Collapse -
it was possible until DirecTv upgrated its DVR
by alcaponemafioso / November 11, 2008 12:47 PM PST

i have actually recorded the programs from directTv DVR onto DVD using my DVD recorder when i had the old DirecTv DVR, by connecting via composite AV cable. simply connect OUT from DVR to IN of your DVD recorder. play any program on DVR and press record on your DVD recorder, make sure you select the right input on your DVD recorder by using the channel button on your remote control to select the input that connects via DVR. this is something similar to watching TV programs via VCR by setting VCR on channel 3 on conventional VCRs. on DVD recorders the channel 3 option have changed to either IN1, IN2 or AV1, AV2 etc. however, if you have the new upgraded DirecTV DVR, then you're going to have a copyright protection alarm problem. i have the newer DirecTv HD DVR and practically every program i try to record from DVR to DVD recorder it alarms me that you cannot record copyright protected materials. and all TV shows programs are considered copyright protected.

Collapse -
correction
by alcaponemafioso / November 11, 2008 1:11 PM PST

gentlemen i'd like to make some correction about the new DirecTv DVR's copyright protection complications. this rule apparently applies to those TV programs that are still on PPV. i apparently was trying to record a boxing that was still on the Showtime PPV and it didn't allow me to record it then but i am recording it now as we speak. so it does allow you to record from DirecTv DVR to your DVD recorder after a show has become old. good luck with your success! again make sure to change the channel on your DVD recorder to DVR input in order to view the DVR program via DVD recorder. connect with composite AV cable. red, white, yellow cables.

Collapse -
Correction
by mvega71 / December 5, 2008 3:38 PM PST
In reply to: correction

I didn't see this post until now and that answers my previous questions. Sounds like if I get a DVD recorder things should work just fine. Still wondering about recording an HD movie (2hrs) and if it will fit on a regular DVD.

Collapse -
Recording HD movie on DVD
by alcaponemafioso / December 6, 2008 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: Correction

Yes, you can record HD movie on one DVD media and yet plenty of space left. Recording a TV program does not necessarily mean recording pure HD data quality but whatever picture quality displayed on the TV screen. HD TV broadcasting is not considered a pure HD quality. HDTV broadcasting is a condensed quality of the pure HD source data.

Collapse -
DVD Media
by mvega71 / December 6, 2008 2:30 PM PST

Thanks for the info. One last thing, what brand DVDs do you recommend for the best recording quality and how much space should I purchase. How many GB is an average movie to record?

Thanks

Collapse -
Maxell is the best.
by alcaponemafioso / December 6, 2008 3:11 PM PST
In reply to: DVD Media

based on my own experience, i favor Maxell the best. Maxell has minimum recording error rate. nearly 98% defect free. DVDs are standard capacity of 4.7GB data size, while actual data storage is 4.3GB. an average movie size is 3.6 to 4.2 if you record from another DVD source, but if you're recording from TV, then data size will be much lesser, because TV broadcasting is a condensed data. DVD resolution supports 720X480 while full HD resolution is 1080i and 1080p. if you record a HD movie with clearest picture possible on your satellite, then your recoding quality would be between 720X480 and HD 1080i, which would be HD 720i or 720p. (i) = interlaced, (p) = progressive. these values are relating to the speed that matters to the video quality.

Collapse -
my new DVD recorder won't record shows from DIRECTV R15-500
by carlholmgren / March 23, 2009 5:25 AM PDT

for about 3yrs i have had a directv DVR R15-500 (IS NOT HD) and used to record to my samsung DVD-R120 no problems for years. Then the R120 died. Purchased in Feb 2009 my new Samsung VR375 DVD recorder gives me "you cannot copy protected content" message on all Premium channel shows I try to copy. How can i solve this issue?

Collapse -
I just wanted to let you know I can see your question ok?
by chatmagnet55 / October 18, 2010 7:19 AM PDT

I was looking for the same question only I am wondering if I can record directly from the Direct TV Box to my HP laptop? So, our questions were on the samee basics! I have received no answers so far either! Good luck neighbor and I hope it all works out for you!

Collapse -
Good and bad news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2010 7:25 AM PDT

Good, this is now well discussed.
Bad, HD content is heavily protected even to the point we will not discuss any work around here.

The answer is no.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.