Networking & Wireless

Question

Is it possible to connect a router to multiple WiFi networks

by Kalessar / November 19, 2012 4:49 AM PST

My neighbor and I were wondering if it is possible to combine our respective internet connections in order to gain a faster connection overall. What would be ideal would to have a wireless router in one of our houses, that is simultaneously connected to both of our ADSL routers, and to which both of us are able to connect. Is such a setup possible? Do I need a specific type of router? What routers would you recommend? (the strongest wifi signal possible would be useful)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it possible to connect a router to multiple WiFi networks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it possible to connect a router to multiple WiFi networks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sure but are you ready?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2012 5:41 AM PST

If you look into BONDING of network connections you find most folk are not ready to go down that path.

My answer must be no and hope I don't upset you too much as this is one of those very advanced areas where if you ask, you may not be doing this. But I can point you to what words to search with.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by Kalessar / November 20, 2012 2:06 AM PST

Bit odd though, would have thought it would be more popular concept. I mean it can't be that hard to make an easy to use product that does this, and it would be so useful...

Collapse -
It's not hard, just costly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2012 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Because we need a WiFi radio for each network we want to connect to and then have to bond it all up, this means that the costs are about double for a router with 2 radios, triple with 3 radios and then you have the support angles. Even if the hardware was cheap as just a multiple of radio+routers, you have folk that have no networking background and your experts to drain your support budget dry.

For now, this sort of setup is best done with a PC and some OS and hair tonic.
Bob

Collapse -
ISP
by bill012 / November 20, 2012 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

You forget it is not just on your side that stuff has to be done. The ISP looks at these connection as 2 separate. You have 2 different IP addresses. How do get a web site to send data to 2 different IP addresses. Even worse how do you get a web site to not drop your session as a attack if one packet comes from one IP and second comes from another.

This only start to scratch the surface of the problems doing this. How do you make sure packets from video streaming actually arrive in the correct order..

There are services that claim they can do this by creating VPN tunnels over each connection to some central point. For the amount of money they charge you would think it would actually work but when you real the fine print they have a bunch of stuff they admit will not work very well.

Collapse -
True.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2012 3:07 AM PST
In reply to: ISP

And BONDING connections in Linux have worked this over for years but as it stands, I think it should come with bottles of whiskey or hair tonic.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.