Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Is it just me or is Firefox a CPU hog?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 21, 2010 4:38 AM PDT
Question:

Is it just me or is Firefox a CPU hog?

On the widely discussed 100 percent CPU usage problem on Windows OS, I have the same problem and it seems to be caused by the use of Firefox. When everything slows down to crawl, I check the Windows task manager and it shows Firefox's use of the CPU is at a very high rate-180K-220K, so I do an "end process" on Firefox and it knocks me off the Internet, and everything returns to back to normal. I tried uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling it, but no changes at all. I?ve contacted Firefox for help, but no response from them. Is this the way Firefox is? Any ideas on how I can correct this? Or is Firefox simply a resource hog and there?s nothing I can do about it on my end? Thanks.

--Submitted by Jim L.

Here are some featured member answers to get you started, but
please read all the advice and suggestions that our
members have contributed to this question.

Firefox is a hog --Submitted by caskater4
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6620_102-0.html?messageID=3308520#3308520

Memory hog fix --Submitted by Newbeak60
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6620_102-0.html?messageID=3308467#3308467

Firefox CPU problem --Submitted by pkv197
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6620_102-0.html?messageID=3308502#3308502

Firefox is a RAM hog, not a CPU hog --Submitted by JonathansToolBar&Grill
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6620_102-0.html?messageID=3308669#3308669

It depend on what is displayed --Submitted by Alain Martel1
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6620_102-0.html?messageID=3309097#3309097

Thank you to all who contributed!

If you have any additional suggestions or advice for Jim, click on the reply link and submit away. If you are offering a how-to remedy, please be as detailed as possible. Thank you!
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it just me or is Firefox a CPU hog?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it just me or is Firefox a CPU hog?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
On Macs Too
by misfit.comma / May 21, 2010 9:12 AM PDT

I know it's not answer, but this is a common problem on Macs too.

Collapse -
Firefox restart
by wjhbrook / May 21, 2010 9:15 AM PDT

Firefox works best when restarted once in a while, especially if you've had lots of tabs open. That clears memory and allows it to run with fewer resources, at least for a while.

Collapse -
This is what it was for me.
by alzed / May 21, 2010 9:25 AM PDT

I found the 100% CPU usage was caused by a couple different Firefox add-ons that I was running. Namely Ghostery and one other that I don't remember the name of right now.

My suggestion is to uninstall your add-ons, then if the problem is gone, add them back one at a time. Each time you add one, close Firefox and see if it's still hogging your CPU, if it is, uninstall it and move on to the next one.

Collapse -
I agree with alzed...
by satansslacks / May 23, 2010 6:46 AM PDT

...start with the addons. I'm only assuming that the op wasn't running anything else. I've had a problem like this and it did turn out to be an addon. Other than that I've never had any problems with Firefox. It's still a great browser for me. You should also try to add more memory. Make sure your system is clean, no viruses, spyware, etc..

For anybody that's mentioned asking a question of Firefox support and never received a response, go there and look at how many questions come in a day. This has happened to me before. I asked a question which was never answered. It was frustrating. The way I understand it though, because FF is free and open source, the people that answer those questions are volunteers. There's only so many people to answer questions. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. You'd probably get an answer faster on a forum. Also search, google search, forum search, firefox support search. Sometimes that's why questions don't get answered. They've already been asked.

Collapse -
its all the add-ons actually
by drapatil / May 29, 2010 1:57 AM PDT

plain vanilla ff is lite, quick but the no & type of add-ons slow it down - its advisable to keep only the most useful (to you) ones

Collapse -
Firefox/CPU Hog
by George Crane / May 21, 2010 9:25 AM PDT

I have used Firefox and other browsers for years. But I found that Firefox uses more than Opera, Chrome, IE, and some smaller browsers. It got to the point that I just quit using Firefox at all. The reason for that is firefox uses more CPU's than you would think. I also tried to get help from Mozilla and also got no response. It seems that Mozilla just doesn't care about their users for Firefox. txcounselor62

Collapse -
Firefox resource hog
by TheresaJDIY / May 21, 2010 9:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Firefox/CPU Hog

I agree, it is a hog. It seems to have a lot of issues with memory leaks especially when using flashplayer or pages that have a lot of flash ads. Some of the addons seem to make it worse, namely flashblock and adblock as well as avg safesearch to some degree. Mine does run better with the adblock disable, but still crashes at times.

Collapse -
It is a hog alright!
by Donato777 / May 29, 2010 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Firefox resource hog

I love Firefox and like to use it over IE, but today I checked my CPU usage when using Firefox and it was 53 - 68%, and this was after I followed the tips and advice offered here. (Storing history for 30 days, clearing history, etc.) When I switched to I.E., my CPU usage is down to 3% with a high of 15%. Is there anything else we can do? Thanks!

Collapse -
i'm tired of firefox too
by bevcat5 / May 24, 2010 6:26 AM PDT

I'm just tired of firefox not working correctly. no use having all these wonderful add-ons if they're not tested and/or causing hangups. I've not tried Mozilla support - but guess there's no need to bother. Guess I'll go back to IE or try one of the others.

Collapse -
Firefox/CPU usage
by maser222E / May 28, 2010 10:09 PM PDT

I agree usage is beyond a joke, have been using Firefox since its inception but lately every update seems to cause more hassles. Absolutely no response from support to address problems I asked about after latest two updates so I have discontinued using what used to be a very good product. I have not used IE for over 12 years and had been happy always to promote F-fox but NOT ANY MORE. I'm an Opera fan now.

Collapse -
Fire Fox CPU hog
by chrissy_081 / May 21, 2010 9:32 AM PDT

I have found that, especially with windows 7, that fire fox and IE use up alot of my processor and memory. Once i started using GOOGLE CHROME i haven't had that problem. I have noticed that CHROME is a better browser and all the annoying tool bars that try and download on to my PC will not load or even work with CHROME. so that is alot of memory that i am not using. It is definitely worth looking into. Here is a link to download GOOGLE CHROME.
http://www.google.com/chrome/index.html?hl=en&brand=CHMA&utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk-ae&utm_medium=ha

Collapse -
Chrome too
by pllam / May 23, 2010 10:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Fire Fox CPU hog

It seems that almost every browser is listed hare as a hog, I have add Chrome to the list. It's not bad if you have one or 2 tabs open but I work with 6 or 7 and at times more. At that point my PC just goes on vacation for what seems minutes at a time. Killing a few tabs does the trick. I get better performance using several browsers (opera, chrome, ff and ie) rather than have more than 5 chrome tabs open.

Collapse -
by Joey Chorbajian / May 26, 2010 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Chrome too

Google Chrome is fast and even LAUSD students download it to Room 28, and all the computers and internet is faster and more reliable. Download now. Mac and Linux supported.

Collapse -
Careful with Chrome
by Dimetri99 / May 28, 2010 6:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Joined

The Scottrader Elite program works with your default browser and was apparantly designed for IE. When I installed Chrome and made it the default browser, it made Scottrader Elite run like molassas in the dead of winter. I didn't figure this out until I tried to sell stock and the order wouldn't go through. Switched back to I.E. and the problem went away. This was when Chrome first came out and the problem may have been resolved. However, from an investor standpoint, the last thing you want to worry about is whether or not your buy/sell orders are going to go through.

Collapse -
I do use it for general page viewing, but...
by dr_no / May 28, 2010 6:24 PM PDT

I can't fault CHROME for best speed on flash (Facebook games), where Firefox and Safari seem to be awful in this respect.

Firefox doesn't appear to slow me down when using another cpu hungry application, so I guess its down to individual computer configuration.

Collapse -
CHROME and no toolbars
by Dotuletz / May 28, 2010 6:54 PM PDT

well, chrome is new, but be sure toolbars are coming to chrome as we write this

Collapse -
(NT) How DO I get a menu bar on Chrome Brawser?
by scootboot / June 3, 2010 2:37 PM PDT
In reply to: CHROME and no toolbars
Collapse -
I've had to stop using my beloved Firefox
by pikmee / May 21, 2010 9:36 AM PDT

Maybe getting a new pc would help, but my current setup just can't run Firefox like it used to. It uses up all my system resources. I don't know why---- It never did that before. But now it always slows me up and then it requires that I "end the process". It's really too bad because Firefox ued to be so much fun.

Collapse -
I have no issues here.
by Paul C / May 23, 2010 9:29 AM PDT

However, I have my copy of Firefox 3.6.3 set for private browsing with no history saved and the browser cache limited to 50MB. I also use very few addons.

My wife prefers IE, so I set that browser up as closely as possible to my FF settings, and she has had no issues as well.

Collapse -
I've had to stop using my beloved Firefox also!
by colhills / May 28, 2010 9:53 PM PDT

I am running OSX.6.3 on my iMac and when trying to edit Videos got the message that i did not have enough harddisk space to load the film. I checked the cache and found that Firefox had overloaded it with everything I had visited on the Web and had not been cleared when I had run a cache cleaner. I then decided to remove Firefox and everything affiliated with it and voila 239 Gb of free space! Unbelievable, i only had 19 Gigs free before the cleanup! I'm sorry to lose Firefox but will have to use Safari which is part of the Mac system but doesn't quite match Firefox but at least my machine can breath again!

Collapse -
On FireFox Now
by peacemarauder / May 21, 2010 9:37 AM PDT

It is bouncing between 3 and 24% of my CPU. I think you are talking about your RAM usage. I use CachemanXP to monitor my cpu and ram usage. It takes a few hours of moderate to heavy surfing to eat up a good chunk of my 2gb of ram and I usually restart FireFox when it gets down to about 500mb left of ram.

About this computer? I've been threatening to format it for 2 years now but I keep fixing the problems. Socket 478 3ghz P4 HT single core with pc5300 ram, 2gb. Not a blazer at all and runs fine, click and go on cable.

My basic startup is 11 tabs I run at all times and open others for added info and searches. I usually start off with 6 other programs running and 43 processes on task manager. I still run smooth.

You may try getting and using Glary Utilities and run it, see what you can clean up.

Collapse -
Addons
by peacemarauder / May 21, 2010 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: On FireFox Now

The only ram/cpu useful addon I run is flash block.

Collapse -
I just looked into it.
by pikmee / May 21, 2010 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Memory Hog Fix

I unchecked the box involved. let's see if it helps.

Collapse -
More hidden FF features
by Mr. Knowitall / May 28, 2010 10:25 AM PDT

Finally found it on:

Tool -> Options -> Privacy -> History -> Firefox will:
Use custom settings for history <--{from drop down list}

Moved it back to 30 days. Hope it helps.

Collapse -
30 days won't help...
by stozier / June 2, 2010 1:57 AM PDT

I've had mine set at 1 day for months and FF still hogs memory.

Collapse -
use Opera!
by M90HQD / May 28, 2010 11:45 AM PDT

The best solution is to use Opera browser! Silly

Collapse -
using Opera instead of Firefox
by ImChiquita / May 28, 2010 8:43 PM PDT
In reply to: use Opera!

Since I have nothing to lose other than a slow browser, I guess I'll try it.

Collapse -
switching browsers
by GoochieWoman / June 14, 2010 5:53 AM PDT

ah, but firefox has adblock and i haven't found a substitute in opera or any other browser!

Collapse -
That's all!
by Pvassilev / May 29, 2010 8:53 PM PDT
In reply to: use Opera!

You said it 100% true!
But they are FFFanatics Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.