Laptops

General discussion

Is it a good idea to buy a Laptop at Costco?

by rockybudgeboa / August 19, 2008 8:28 AM PDT

They are offering some nice Laptops and my hubby is in the market for one and I want to know if anyone else has gotten one there and what do they think of the Service?

I live in Ontario, Canada by the way and would not buy it online but would get it from a Warehouse near where I live

Thanks

Leslie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is it a good idea to buy a Laptop at Costco?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is it a good idea to buy a Laptop at Costco?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can't speak for Canada.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2008 8:38 AM PDT

But in the US the return policy alone is worth it. Be aware you won't find "gamer" laptops there from what I say but machines good for average uses.
Bob

Collapse -
Laptop at Costco?
by rockybudgeboa / August 19, 2008 8:56 AM PDT

My Husband is using it for his Correspondence course, not for games. My daughter wants to download her SIMS games on it but I dont think its a good idea. They cause my HP Desktop to reboot all the time and it is XP. The new ones obviously come with Vista

Collapse -
Up to you...
by Willy / August 19, 2008 11:07 AM PDT

Costco is just another vendor. I've friends that brought and were happy for the most part as least with the purchase. The warranty is another matter, so check how they handle it in Canada. If you come "down" into the USA, your money maybe worth more? Wink Anyways, they seem pretty decent on pricing alone but I tend to buy from mainstream vendors.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
laptop at Costco
by rockybudgeboa / August 19, 2008 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Up to you...

Thank you Happy

I will keep you all posted on how this will pan out Happy

Collapse -
Dell IS a mainstream brand and yes, Costco is king!
by lumpoco / April 29, 2009 1:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Up to you...

I don't see what your point is. Dell is a mainstream computer company. It might not be as popular as Compaq but their computers are more reliable. If the point you are trying to make is that someone should buy a brand of laptop simply because it is sold almost everywhere then Dell won't qualify. Stupid them...they make most of their money selling their computers online. What a wasted opportunity! Sad In regards to the question of whether the lady should buy a computer from Costco then the answer is yes. As someone had already mentioned Costco has a very customer friendly return policy. I know someone who returned a computer 3 years after purchasing it from Costco. The computer stopped working and they credited my friend $250 toward the purchase of a new computer. That's a pretty sweet deal if you ask me!

Collapse -
I bought a laptop at Costco and...
by sandmana / August 22, 2008 12:00 PM PDT

the computer I bought ended up being the wrong computer for what I needed. The great thing about Costco is they have a 90 day return period for their electronics. When it became clear that the laptop was not going to meet my needs, I was able to return it and get my money back with no problem, no restocking fee, no grumbling. It is rare to find a vendor with such a generous electronics return policy. I just bought the right laptop from Costco, and I am a happy camper. I have not had to use their tech support, so I really can't speak to that part of their service. Good luck.

Collapse -
Do some comparisons
by Precede / August 22, 2008 12:04 PM PDT

Hi there,

Generally it really doesn't matter where you buy your laptop from. The most important thing to consider is the warranty/support that you will get from the manufacturer. Costco seems just as good a place to purchase a laptop as anywhere else. However, some retailers offer support agreements on top of what the manufacturer offers.

Many laptops come with a 1 year manufacturer warranty. This one reason why you can get them at such great prices. Another reason is that you are getting technology that is 1 or 2 generations behind current hardware. For instance, you can probably get a really cheap laptop with an Intel Dual-Core cpu. Maybe $550 to $850 with 15 inch screen. What they don't tell is that you don't have many upgrade paths for CPUs or RAM and after a year, you're on your own for support. So, this great deal isn't such a great deal when you have any kinds of issues with the machine after that standard year.

The best rule of thumb is to invest in an extended warranty and choose a machine that has current chipset technology. You will enjoy your investment much longer.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Laptop at Costco?
by rockybudgeboa / August 22, 2008 12:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Do some comparisons

Okay. It will be a little while now before we get a laptop, but I will post on here on where I will get it. By the way, Costco here as a 2 year warranty on their laptops.

Collapse -
Laptop from Costco.
by Ron Geiken / August 22, 2008 12:58 PM PDT

I bought an HP Laptop from Costco in November 2007, and it has worked fine. If I had a problem or was unhappy with it, I could have returned it to Costco within 90 days and no questions asked. I had to return an Analog DVR from Costco a couple of years ago after it failed, and they took it back and gave me a refund with no questions asked. This feature or returning an unsatisfactory product within 90 days is certainly worth purchasing it there. A lot of other retail outlets make you work with the manufacturer to get the product repaired which can be a frustrating experience. Costco is a good place to buy products.

Collapse -
Can't beat the return policy
by jthree / August 23, 2008 7:42 AM PDT

We purchased a laptop in the USA from Costco & brought it back to Canada. The downside to purchasing from another country is warranty work - you still get coverage (at lease for Toshiba) but you have to ship your machine across the country for service.

For what it is worth, you cannot beat the return policy of Costco. This includes purchases made online as well. I know of no dealer that will REFUND (not just exchange or give a credit) a laptop or desktop purchase. Try to get Dell, for instance, to take back a 'lemon'. They will repair, repair & repair until the warranty expires but not exchange or refund purchase.

Costco was willing to give me a full refund (in US $) for my purchase if I had wanted to return the laptop once I returned to Canada.

Collapse -
Desktop now?
by rockybudgeboa / August 23, 2008 1:07 PM PDT

Well folks, looks like it will be a desktop now. Acer has a nice one with 21.5 inch monitor and other stuff for $699.95. I know Acer is not the best brand out there but with a two year warranty, it might be a good buy.

Les

Collapse -
But Acer is a nice
by orlbuckeye / May 1, 2009 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Desktop now?

brand. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.