Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Is IE10 better than 9?

by Chigal48 / May 25, 2013 1:13 AM PDT

Whenever I use IE9, virus attacks, malware attacks, and I'm wondering if it's better to upgrade to IE10?

I only use IE9 when I have to...normally I use Opera and Chrome.

Chigal48 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is IE10 better than 9?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is IE10 better than 9?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Chigal48

Collapse -
Probably not
by Jimmy Greystone / May 25, 2013 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Is IE10 better than 9?

Probably not. Ever since Microsoft introduced ActiveX with IE3 way back when, that is what opened the door to malware. So until Microsoft completely redesigns ActiveX, which they'll never do because it would likely break like 90% (or more) of all the ActiveX controls out there, including Windows Update, it will continue to be the giant crater-like hole in the security wall of Internet Explorer.

Of course if you're only visiting reputable sites, like say Amazon, Wikipedia, or Cnet for example, you should have a pretty low chance of ever getting malware. Every company these days tends to outsource ads to a third party company, and sometimes those third party companies don't do a very good job of vetting customers. So sometimes it will happen that a reputable site will inadvertently end up displaying a boobytrapped ad, but the odds of that should be pretty close to none. Meaning if you find yourself routinely besieged by malware every time you use IE, you are probably visiting sites you shouldn't be, especially with IE. Or there's something else about the specific way in which you use IE that you're not telling us.

Collapse -
Thanks much
by Chigal48 / May 25, 2013 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Probably not

Boo to Microsoft.

Collapse -
I know there are some reported issues
by Steven Haninger / May 25, 2013 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Is IE10 better than 9?

with some video cards not displaying text properly if using hardware acceleration. In some cases an updated video display driver corrects the problem but not always. Some video cards are not compatible at all. It's actually not IE10 alone that does this but an optional update that gets installed along with it. I had the problem myself and, unfortunately, uninstalling IE10 does not remove that update which is, BTW, KB2670838. You need to remove that update as well. The video anomaly is not only seen in IE but other browsers such as Firefox as well. You can google that KB to find out more about it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.