Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Computer Help

General discussion

is HP any good?

by joelisafreak123 / March 30, 2008 6:03 AM PDT

i've been saving up for a new computer and now i have enough money. i've been thinking about buying a hp. i've heard there really good, and a lot of postitive reviews. i've been studying every website i can find like buy.com, tigerdirect, compusa. I'v noted that the only hp's that would be in my price range are the ones that are refurbished/recertified. They only come with a 3 month warranty. On buy.com, for on 39.99 you can get a 2year warranty. From places like newegg or tigerdirect or compusa, there 1year warranty are 75 bucks. I can't afford a warranty exept for buy.com. Should I save up more and get a non-recertified/refurbished hp computer. What do you think would be better for a media movie make photo editor guy like me? A slimline or a regular size hp computer? THANKS! (PLEASE HELP!)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: is HP any good?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: is HP any good?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just wondering.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2008 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: is HP any good?

Why would HP be questioned for refurbs and useds as to quality? Isn't that the question you put to those that buy such?

Here, the HPs are doing fine. The only fault I see today applies to all makers of Windows based machines. They have no clue how to support software issues.
Bob

Collapse -
to respond bob...
by joelisafreak123 / March 30, 2008 8:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Just wondering.

When a computer is refurbished, something is either wrong with it, or for some reason they didn't want it. What I'm afraid of is that while it not under warranty, for something to break, and i would have to buy a whole new one.

Collapse -
Don't buy!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2008 6:23 AM PDT

And do not buy any Pentium 4 based laptop. You can get them cheap but they are a classic design blunder of all time.
Bob

Collapse -
your right!
by joelisafreak123 / March 30, 2008 8:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Don't buy!!!

for Intel, Pentuim 4 is getting old. If you want to buy a computer/laptop of any brand with an Intel CHip (AMD are better and cheaper), You you want to get a CORE 2 DUO or QUAD CORE.

Collapse -
Depends
by Jimmy Greystone / March 30, 2008 7:37 AM PDT

It depends on what your uses are for a computer, whether or not HP is any good.

If all you want is a real basic computer, and you only plan to use it for things like word processing, email, and web browsing... They're just fine.

If you want to use them for pretty much anything more than that, you're going to start running into roadblock after roadblock. Everything from there possibly not being any AGP or PCI-E slots for graphics card upgrades, to limited potential for RAM and CPU upgrades. Not to mention often times the fact that part of what makes the systems so cheap, is that they buy from suppliers that will cut corners on quality to offer the lowest bid. No operating system runs well on shoddy hardware, and Windows is particularly prone to tripping and falling in such cases.

Collapse -
Kinda
by joelisafreak123 / March 30, 2008 8:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Depends

I do heavy video editing and photo editing with a little gaming in the middle. For me, having not being able to expand is not a problem. The only things i might want't to expand in the future are the graphics card, and the ram (memory).I may also want to install a new motherboard, and with the slimline, that would problally be very expensive and hard. THANKSS!

Collapse -
I'd hold out then
by Jimmy Greystone / March 30, 2008 9:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Kinda

I'd hold out a little longer, keep saving my money, and buy something better later.

The sorts of things you describe will generate a lot of heat, and brand name systems (on the low end at least) are built to look nice, they aren't built to properly channel heat out of the case. This would be a huge concern with a slimline model.

So if I were you, I would just keep saving and buy a better system. Preferably a self-built one, but definitely not some low end refurb. If you don't spend at least $2,000US on a brand name computer, you're probably going to get some steaming pile of crap. The cheaper the system, the lower the profit margins on it, so the lower quality the parts will likely be. It's just simple economics.

Collapse -
NO!
by dmdzine / March 31, 2008 12:33 AM PDT

The answer, plain and simple, is No. My experience with HP both personally and professionally has been one of extreme frustration. If you like support people who spend more time trying to sell you a new computer rather than trying to fix the one you have, then choose HP, otherwise...

I see a higher repair ratio for the all of the new HP systems at my college's computer helpdesk than any other brand of computer. Also avoid Compaq, which is owned by HP.

Do yourself a favor and buy a Mac, especially since you want to do video and photo work. If you absolutely must use Windows, Dell is probably your best choice.

Collapse -
Yeah.
by megamannt92 / March 31, 2008 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: NO!

I have had HPs in the past in fact my old HP Vectra 450mhz P3 Desktop is still running. I've used some other HP/Compaqs and never had any trouble with them.

I'm running a IBM 2.52ghz P4 Netvista right now. I got it for 130$ refurbished; it runs well....the PSU was faultly when I got it though the company replaced it for me for free, I popped it in and its working fine...

I usually take my chances with refurbs, I'm only 17 and can't afford much more. =)

And oh, don't buy a Mac. Seriously. Your better off with Ubuntu.

Collapse -
ibm
by dmdzine / March 31, 2008 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah.

Actually, I forgot to mention IBM/Lenovo... probably your other best bet

Collapse -
eeehhhhh?
by diegorentsch / July 20, 2010 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Yeah.

whoah. he says he does video editing and what are macs known for?????? VIDEO EDITING ubuntu is good but osx is BASED on it. most mac users don't know the nooks and crannies of the operating system so they don't know its power. Ubuntu may be better but it has worse compatibility than the mac.

To everyone else! I'm tired of you all saying how stupid OSX treats its users but thats because you haven't spend 3 straight days learning it. ( yes I'm obviously a fanboy) so in this case at least, the mac is best.

Collapse -
HP computers
by zzoeyy / March 31, 2008 2:28 AM PDT

Hp is the only computer I have owned. I have had no problems with mine and I used my last one for 7 years. I stay away from refurbished computers because I don't trust just how refurbished they are lol. One thing you need to remember is that if you buy anything under 700 dollars from hp the graphics card may not be up to par for hardcore gamers. However I have one currently from HP and its new. It cost $678. I have not tried out any games on it. I mostly use it for music and photo storage and other internet stuff like email and surfing the web and playing a few online games. Keep doing what you are and thats saving and researching. Also if you see a computer you like put the name of it in google such as "HP Pavilion Elite m9200z" and it should bring up reviews on it and you can see what other people are saying about it. Don't forget to check places like Best buy, Amazon, Circuit city because they all have deals and sometimes free shipping.

Collapse -
HP
by deano3433 / October 9, 2011 4:04 PM PDT

I have bought a news HP laptop. It was the biggest piece of garbage ever. So in short don't buy HP. They offer lousy repair service and the parts seem inferior. Now this might sound good service but if yo include all the time wasted and money spent getting the repairs done you won't touch them. They replaced, the screen 3 times, yes 3 times. And they replaced the motherboard once. Should be like new right? I still don't know 8 months later as now I have to fly to the country it's been repaired in to get the piece of sh*t back.
DON"T BUY HP> BE WARNED.

Collapse -
Re: HP
by DennisC_VA / October 10, 2011 12:36 PM PDT
In reply to: HP

"Fly to the country its been repaired in to get the {bleep} back." Dean03433, you are kidding, right??

Collapse -
They are garbage! It's true.
by deano3433 / October 10, 2011 4:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: HP

Okay I was in a hurry so didn't explain well. I bought the crap in Taiwan. HP were offering a 3 year warranty if I payed a little more and even threw in a printer. Nice I thought. I bought a Compaq Presario series 3700.
It also used to get so hot you could almost fry an egg on it.
I fly once a year to Taiwan to visit friends there. The first time it failed (It had a progressive screen problem that started about 12 months after purchase that I decided I could live with,) It basically just died and wouldn't turn on one day. This was 18 months into the warranty. I waited, flew to Taiwan and had it repaired while there. They replaced the screen and mother board.
6 months later it failed again so I managed to post it to Taiwan for repairs and my friend returned it to me about 4 months later when he visited me. They had replaced the screen again.
It lasted about the same length of time and I posted it again to Taiwan for repairs. Then I found that it couldn't be posted back to me as Taiwan post wouldn't accept it and said it was too fragile.
Hence the 8 month wait. Yes I know I'm going to visit my friend there anyway but that's not the issue. The computer is sh*t and the service would be laughable if it hadn't cost me so much more.
HP clearly don't offer after sales service of any use that I can see. Buy a MAC! You will actually save money in the long run.

Collapse -
The specs?
by ReviverSoft / October 9, 2011 9:57 PM PDT

HPs are known to have poor specifications compared to what the competition is offering.

Also, some models from the HP lineup also suffer from heating problems owing to poor ventilation by design.

Unless you're getting a really good deal on the laptop and assuming it is decently spec'd, I would suggest considering other options.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.