TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Is HD Receiver required when have Built-in HDTV Tuner

by twbffl / December 15, 2005 12:27 AM PST

Just purchased 42" Panasonic Plasma with Built-in HD tuner and Cable Card ready. I am looking at getting Direct TV; Do I need the HD Receiver, since I have a built-in Tuner? Also, do I need to pay the extra $10.99/month subscription(after 3 months free) for HD?

Second questions, For TV's without a buiilt-in HD Tuner, do they need extra equipment besides the HD Receiver? If not what advantage is paying extra for a built-in tuner on a HDTV(besides over the air/antenna HD)?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is HD Receiver required when have Built-in HDTV Tuner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is HD Receiver required when have Built-in HDTV Tuner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
YES!!!!! and YES!!!, No
by jcrobso / December 15, 2005 1:02 AM PST

The built in ATSC HD tuner is for OTA or broadcast HDTV.
If you have Direct Tv or Dish Network, you will have to get a HD reciver from them.
All HDTVs will have ATSC HD tuners in them by next year per FCC.
If your getting Direct TV the cable card slot will go unused.

Collapse -
answers
by tonytone305 / December 15, 2005 5:56 AM PST

Built-In HD Tuners are for you to be able to receive free over-the-air HD signals in your local area (with an over-the-air anntenna). If you want full HD programming (even though there aren't that many channels broadcasting it HD yet) you'll still need to get the HD Receiver. Word is that an HD satelite is going up and alot more channels will be broadcasting in HD by the end of Spring '06.

Collapse -
No near HouTX 11/15 ota but yes to source sat./cable&c.
by bennetts77833 / December 17, 2005 6:06 AM PST

69 Miles nw of Houston (nation's 4 th largest city your mileage may vary near mountians and in smaller markets) with a TV top Radio Shack antenna, I'm getting 10(17*) Houston area stations and one(2*)College Station signals. Great reception no, but haven't tried an on the roof antenna yet. 65% signal gets me usable reception, better than basic (non digital cable) and I could probably do without satellite service *Most of the network affliates are putting multiple DT channels, the main network feed plus radar, or weather & radar or both. Have even seen alternative programming during hurricane pre-emptions of network programming a few months ago. HD TV is going to be exciting and you my not need other sources of programing.

If you want to source other programming cable or satelite then yes another tuner usually provided by the service eg. we have Dish Network has some HD programming for $15 / mo. tuner and programming fees (in addition to my basic 60 package)and $5 would get me the Vroom channels; but haven't seen any real value in vroom. If I paid for Movie channels and sports channels the satellite versions have some hd that I assume that I would get with my hd tuner.

Collapse -
yep
by masterying01 / December 17, 2005 5:47 PM PST

if you dont send directtv money, and pay for their equipment...they will never send you hd and you will have no way of decoding THEIR HD signals.

direct tv is moving to new receivers (in chicago area) (H20 = new ones...H10 = hold ones) difference? have them upgrade your satelite dish to a 5lnb and you can pull in local HD channels WITHOUT ANY antenna's. finally took them long enough to do it. so basically if you have the 5lnb dish, and the h20, you will never need to find an antenna that works, and will never need to use your builtin tuner or cable card slot unless you're crazy.

Collapse -
Sure do
by Shaingrala / January 6, 2006 1:10 AM PST

I have a 42" Sony LCD, HDTV. I subscribe to Dish Network. I've got 3 of those puppies on my roof as well as replacing my "regular" receiver with an HD receiver from Dish. One dish is for the regular programming, one is for the HD programming and the other one is for the off-air HD progamming that the sattelite companies are not yet able to transmit. Eventually I won't have to use the off-air but if you want any local programming in HD you'll have to get a seperate dish. If you happen to pay for the local TV through the satellite company it will not cost you to have them (Dish) supply and install the HD satellite. I did not find Vroom of any use so I cancelled that and I believe I'm only paying $10.00 for the HD programming through Dish Network. Whatever you decide when you sit back and watch that HD on your TV - it will blow you away! And DVDs will as well.

Collapse -
H.D. DIRECT T.V. A WINNER
by stewart norrie / January 7, 2006 3:23 AM PST

hERE IS A LITTLE STORY FOR YOU. I had direct t.v. for 7 years. I called them when I bought my new hi-def t.v. for there hi-def system and to my shock they wanted $500, So I called the DISH NETWORK and got the Dish 811 hi-def system for free I subcribe to basic, hi-def package and VOOM for about $45.00 Also the hi-def tuner has a seperate over the air hi-def tuner Just slap up a outside antenna to get all your local hi-def channels Here in San Jose ca. I receive 18 digital channelsa 9 of which are in hi-def This box also has optical audio output fdor awsome 5.1. sound In closing I beleive you will find that the dish over the air tuner will be much better than your built in tuner good luck stewart norrie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.