TVs & Home Theaters

Alert

is ghosting issue is normal with led panels

by firashammash / January 11, 2013 2:33 PM PST

i found good review on cnet asia from philip wong about toshiba 40ps20 and it says the ghosting is at minimal and because of this review iget the tv. its very good but i can see ghosting eaisly. ifound also the response time for this screen is 16 ms 60hz, is this the reason for ghosting or what, do i have to get the tv back and found another one
thanks all

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: is ghosting issue is normal with led panels
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: is ghosting issue is normal with led panels
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
YES. But the speed varies with temperature.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2013 2:36 PM PST

If you have a very cold room the speed drops and folk forget there's a curve/relationship between speed and temp.

16mS has been fast enough except for 20 YO fighter pilots.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) thanks for your reply
by firashammash / January 11, 2013 10:24 PM PST
Collapse -
dose 100hz tv with 5ms worth 350$ extra money
by firashammash / January 11, 2013 11:04 PM PST

dear sir

thanks for your reply
do you beleive that 100hz sony tv with 5ms worth 350$ extra money?? is there a significant deference??
sorry ididnt understand your coment regarding 16ms response time, is it that much bad?
thanks again

Collapse -
Yes, if you are mostly gaming, or...
by Pepe7 / January 12, 2013 12:09 AM PST

...viewing lots of fast motion content (e.g. car races/fast sports). Having a panel with better response time can make a difference in this respect. OTOH, whether or not it's worth an extra $350 is going to be subjective, varying from person to person.

Collapse -
For me? No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2013 2:22 PM PST

And almost no sets really give you 100Hz. Why? 1. The input signal is still 50Hz and double scanned to 100 in the set. GAMERS can be really upset if this produces lag. Be sure to research this thoroughly.
Bob

Collapse -
thanx all
by firashammash / January 13, 2013 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: For me? No.

thanx all for your help really i aprecicate it. actually i can see the ghosting on satellite tv broadcast channels so as i understand from you getting faster tv wont help since the satellite recevier output is component SD with 60hz as ithink. i am using standerd Strong satellite receveir.

Collapse -
Sorry but for 60Hz you usually see 120
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: thanx all

This area varies with countries so I can't guess if you are in the EU or other places. But if the ghosting is that bad it sounds defective or very cold. I'm not talking about the digital video issue or broadcast issues but the slight ghost over a single frame. From full on to off your average rating is full on to 50% off in about a frame so you should see a ghost on full bright spots moving over a black field. That's a limit of the technology and was seen back in CRT days.
Bob

Collapse -
i am in the Jordan
by firashammash / January 14, 2013 2:05 AM PST

i am in Jordan, the broadcast system is DV-Pal 25 fps, the ghosting is not eaisly visibile only you can notice it while watching Cartoon Network , you know the chrachters are almost white and a black strok around them make the ghoosting visibal some times. i am a3D designer and animator specalised in TV broadcast design and content,, i think this is what making th ghosting visible for me Happy .anyway i actully strat thinking to keep the tv after your comments and also after comparing my tv with sony tv 8 ms and i found the same issue.

Collapse -
At 25FPS you should see ghosting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: i am in the Jordan

My background includes CCTV design and to avoid flicker in old CRTs at 25Hz the TV/display maker would use long persistence phosphors. To get a phosphor it would indeed smear and ghost from bright to dark areas. Nothing was considered busted but as we move past the CRT days you may feel leftover effects from those days.

-> You probably do not want a TV with 25Hz capability for use on a PC.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.