PC Applications forum

General discussion

Is Comodo all it's cracked up to be?

by stephen_jacks58 / March 3, 2009 7:06 AM PST

I'm no PC genius I know my way about as well as the typical punter. Here's the email I've just sent the people who make the the latest, new, improved Comodo firewall - and I thought your excellent site deserved a copy. Can anybody here help me to restore my computer's lost functions...or is it simply time to recognize that not all changes and innovations are for the best; and it might be time to start recommending other firewalls again?

Dear Comodo

I have a Comodo Internet Security package (free version), ID 3.8.64739.471. This includes a virus scanner so neurotic that it regards a Google taskbar as "unidentified malware."

I have a computer maintained continuously with various excellent systems, notably Iobit's Advanced System Care and various products from the Auslogic stable. It never, never breaks down due to software failure. But this afternoon I was silly enough to acquiese to Comdo's suggestion that it "heal" various viral and malware problems in my operatng system, which no other spyware was able to detect.

Well: first I lost my professional version of Advanced System Care - for which I had to pay, and presumably will have to pay again. Then I found that my sound system had vanished too.

Does Comodo (in common with Adaware, Spybot, AVG and all the rest) set a restore point before doing its business, to which one can return? If so, maybe I can re-enable my system. If not (other than evicting your product and returning to Zone Alarm) is there anyway I can stop Comodo seeming to break things?

In disappointment and exasperation

Stephen Jackson

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Comodo all it's cracked up to be?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Comodo all it's cracked up to be?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Phil Crase / March 3, 2009 11:00 PM PST

Best thing would be to remove and NOT use. Almost daily I hear stories of issues with FREE security software downloads and have spent considerable time straightening systems out that have been loaded up with junk. If you want something functional then do something like Kaspersky or Trend Micro Pro. No they are not free but they work.

Collapse -
Think over why you need such things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2009 11:35 PM PST

Is there a way you could fix what causes you to install such software?

That is, I have my Apple and Linux boxes and they have no firewall, antivirus and all works just fine. Something's amiss with the big picture.

Collapse -
by Phil Crase / March 5, 2009 10:35 PM PST

Yes Bob, I have been spending more and more time using Linux and my next thing is going to be a MAC.

Collapse -
All things considered, might be a lot cheaper and easier
by VAPCMD / March 7, 2009 2:01 AM PST
In reply to: Security

just to buy the protection needed (HW - router FW and or SW), avoid SW that increases exposure and vulnerability, etc., Macs seem to be pretty pricey and not designed for internal user upgrades/expansion.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.