PC Applications forum

General discussion

Is CCleaner good enough for Registry Cleaning?

by 20071112 / January 27, 2012 6:07 PM PST

I was told by a commercial software publisher that CCleaner was primarily designed for disk cleaning operations and not for registry cleaning, and therefore, I need a registry cleaning utility dedicated to that purpose.

I am looking forward to varying opinions from those who have used CCleaner for registry cleaning long enough and if they agree with aforesaid comment?

SourceForge has one free utility Little Registry Cleaner which shows 1995 weekly downloads. Any comments on its reliability as an effective registry cleaner?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is CCleaner good enough for Registry Cleaning?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is CCleaner good enough for Registry Cleaning?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 27, 2012 6:33 PM PST

Why do you need a registry cleaner?

I use CCleaner regularly, but I would be cautious using its registry cleaner. It is less of a problem than most, but I see no need to mess with the registry.

You may be interested in the different views in this discusiion;
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6138_102-553726.html

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Why
by 20071112 / January 28, 2012 5:28 PM PST
In reply to: Why?

When we uninstall a software some unnecessary registry entries are left over - isn't it correct?

There are couple of more reasons, I understand - is this totally a misplaced belief?

Now, I am going to read your recommended thread http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6138_102-553726.html may be I shall find some answers.

Thanks

Collapse -
PS: your recommended thread
by 20071112 / January 28, 2012 5:50 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Why
Collapse -
The Windows registry
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 29, 2012 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Why

You're going to have to make your own mind up with this because wherever you ask this question, either here in these forums or elsewhere, you are going to get polarised views and advice.

Here's my polarised view and advice;

The Windows Registry is just a database and it is not particularly large at that. It just has text or numeric entries. Databases are useful for holding data, (information), as and when that data is required. If a database entry is never used, it just sits there doing nothing. It doesn't clog up the database, It doesn't slow down access to any other part of the database. It just sits there doing nothing.

That's all the Windows registry is. Any unused entries in it are ignored. It makes no difference to the performance of the OS. It doesn't need defragging and it doesn't need cleaning. Unnecessary entries do not need to be removed.

While there may have been a case for doing that in Windows 95/98, (I never had trouble), the registry in later Windows versions has become much more stable ad much better able to look after itself.

I see no reason to touch the registry.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks for your clear cut answer
by 20071112 / February 7, 2012 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: The Windows registry

You have made the position very clear to me.

I was taken in by Registry Cleaning Utilities making big claims about how important it is to keep registry clean as unwanted entries clog up the system and make it under-perform, so much so that it can make your PC crawl, and so on...

It seems people want business at any cost even to the extent of clothing lies as truth.

Thanks again for making an upright and honest reply and making me see through it.

You have answered all my concerns and put me at rest.

Thanks again, Sir!

Collapse -
I use it for many years
by NoaMikos / March 6, 2012 7:49 PM PST

NEVER made even one simple problem, and cleanup pretty well.

One of the most useful softwares out there, I also use it a lot when my xp crush.

Collapse -
You'd be wise...
by KenHusveg / March 6, 2012 7:58 PM PST

to read what Mark said (1/29/12 11:36 AM).

Collapse -
Thank you yet...
by NoaMikos / March 6, 2012 11:13 PM PST
In reply to: You'd be wise...

From expirience, when ever i use the Ccleaner tool my PC goes much faster.

it was interesting to know about the reg clean up indeed, thank you! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET's Oh, Snap! Sweepstakes

Enter for a chance to win* a 360-degree camera

Do you Snapchat? We want you to snap for this sweepstakes and give you the chance to get your hands on the Theta S so you can make your very own 360-degree videos.