The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Is Bluetooth technology important to you?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 10, 2007 7:50 AM PDT

Is Bluetooth technology important to you?

Yes. (How so?)
No. (Why not?)
Undecided. (Please explain.)
Blue who? What's that?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Bluetooth technology important to you?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Bluetooth technology important to you?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For Sure
by ploesch / October 10, 2007 9:46 AM PDT

As geeky as BT headsets look, they are powerful convenient tools. Blue tooth technology brings with it all the power and promise of USB without the pesky wires to connect your device to your computer.

So Yeah, Blue Tooth is great, and definetely the wave of the future. Well, at least until something better comes along.

Collapse -
Bluetooth isn't important........
by fantail2 / October 10, 2007 5:39 PM PDT
In reply to: For Sure

Bluetooth isn't important to me cause i can download songs straight from PC to my mobile phone so i never use the bluetooth system on my mobile phone

Collapse -
No to Bluetooth
by katiebug57 / October 11, 2007 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: For Sure

I suppose the reason I said that bluetooth technology isn't for me is mainly because, like many new products out, I don't even know what bluetooth is other than seeing the gizmos on people's ears. I don't know what it does.

Frankly, seeing it on people's ears reminds me of a Star Trek: TNG show where people had a "game" they were playing, hooked to the ears and eyes. They played the game without thought to anything else!

Katie

Collapse -
all is blue
by spyker_r / October 16, 2007 2:16 PM PDT
In reply to: No to Bluetooth

if u still have not embraced the bluetooth technology yet...
u're definitely lagging behind, just by the way u said "i don't even know what bluetooth is other than seeing the gizmos on people's ears. I don't know what it does".

but then again... maybe u are those who still like a whole bunch if messy clutter of unsightly cable & wires. Happy however, i believe u will slowly but surely see a great convenience in BT.

FYI... almost everything runs on BT these days. not only on computer equipment but on car entertainment too (+ a must-have when using fones whilst driving cars). most if not all cell fones have BT built-in.
soon, more & more household appliances would be BT'd as well. it's the absolute solution to connectivity. BT is unlike RF or IR. BT is 99.99& interference-free. only drawback is the effective range of BT.

mark my words, BT would pretty much surround our lives in 5 to 7 years' time. maybe less so in deep rural states tho'.
yeah, consumer demand would contribute a major role too.

simply put it... i LUV BlUU-TOOOTH... & wires suck. Sad

Collapse -
Blue tooth headsets - Geeky or not
by Redfish50 / October 10, 2007 9:55 AM PDT

All of them out at first were very geeky looking...looked very strange on old fat people.
Some of the newer ones are smaller and sleeker, less noticeable. I am shopping for a blue tooth phone and the perfect headset for me. I need to talk hands free very often during the day, receiving 15-20 business calls when my hands are full. One tap, I'm connected and can continue what I'm doing.

Collapse -
Bluetooth headset - Geeky or not
by stedod / October 10, 2007 3:46 PM PDT

I am old and fat and i appreciate my plantronics voyager 510! Having tried three other headsets I was losing hope that a bluetooth might be nothing more than a lame attempt at head ornamentation. The plantronics headset changed all that. Paired with my Tmo Dash and Voice command software I now have a highly functional communication tool that even looks okay on fat old people. Thank you Grin
Stedod

Collapse -
Ok the old fat comment is just foolish!
by lassean1 / October 10, 2007 4:48 PM PDT

I Cannot believe the comment on this page about old or fat people what kind of statement is that? I swear what is this Myspace?

The comment on old or fat people was simply just ignorant.

Collapse -
Bluetooth headset-Geeky or not
by jaqflash2 / October 14, 2007 1:17 PM PDT

I like the idea but I am waiting until technology reduces their size.
Slimer boom mic

Collapse -
Definitely geeky
by genotypewriter / October 14, 2007 9:53 PM PDT

Why?

1. It's a gadget

2. It's electronic

3. Humans are born without it attached to their ears... so, wearing one like they were born with it doesn't make them look normal. (Same goes for the overblown iPod fashion)

4. The type I know goes only in one ear and is pointy... most of the time they look like a star trek thing or some other sci-fi geeky thing.

5. It makes you look like you work at a call center and you walked out without removing your gear... people who work at call centers are geeky (a lot of times!)

Collapse -
Until they invent...
by PumaSpirit / October 10, 2007 10:02 AM PDT

wireless ear pieces that fit INTO the ear, I don't mind looking geeky. I am one anyway, now I can advertise it as well, lol. The benefits are phenomenal keeping my hands free while driving, shopping, doing laundry, and a variety of other necessities (I work out of my home). However, for safety reasons I still pull the van over to continue the call. I can easily move between the pc and other office furniture while talking to a client on the phone and have both hands available to fill purchase/work orders.

But best of all... NO more kinks in my neck! Happy

Collapse -
Wireless USB.
by a_pickle / October 10, 2007 10:03 AM PDT

Not that I mean to imply that Bluetooth is a farce, or useless... but it isn't the end-all, be-all solution to kill wires as we know it. It's just too slow. 2.1 mbps is... just... slow. 480 mbps is not slow. Sustained, that could replace every wire save for power cables and display cables, and those aren't gonna last long either.

I would love to be able to simply set my external hard drive down on my desk, turn it on, and be able to transfer files quickly and easily. Or to be able to edit video... from a wireless hard drive. Slower, admittedly... but you could do it! It'd be great!

Yeah. Bluetooth? Eh... it's had it's day. Hellooo WiMax + WUSB.

Collapse -
BT Headsets are dorky. but BT important for car use.
by drands / October 10, 2007 10:03 AM PDT

Connecting handsfree in CAR, for built-in car system which even downloads phonebook for dialing.

Collapse -
In my car
by HankJ3 / October 10, 2007 10:05 AM PDT

Blue Tooth works well for my in my car allowing me to have handsfree phone access and also betwen devices in my office.

On the other hand, I would never have one of those cockrock things in my ear

Collapse -
BT has it's place...
by Tom Pilcher / October 10, 2007 3:30 PM PDT
In reply to: In my car

For me, it is a must in the car, when I drive for any distance greater than my normal route to work. Where I live it's against the law (sort of) to talk on your cellular as you drive, so it's also a good way of keeping both hands on the wheel and avoiding those pesky tickets. Besides, it drives me crazy whenever someone calls me when I'm in traffic trying to get some place; I've had several near-misses when NOT using the BT earpiece. Making hands-free calls is very important to me when I need to do it, and the BT allows me communication in a safer manner; keeping both hands on the wheel.

Now, if I can get get something that will allow me to TEXT through my BT device! Naturaly Speaking....are you listening?

Collapse -
Corded headset for me....
by Kutusov / October 10, 2007 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: In my car

I use headsets for years and years, manly on my car. Many hears ago I fell in love with the Nokia headsets, the ones with a boom speaker. They are very light, comfortable and have excellent receiving capabilities. Also, no one can tell that I'm speaking to them trough an headset and they are mush more inconspicuous then the BT ones. So why not a BT headset? Mainly because of battery life. You have to watch that very carefully because they don't last very long and take a long time to charge. Corded headsets rely on phone battery and you can charge it while driving without changing the way your phone calls are taken. BT is still important to me mainly to synchronize the cell phone and the PC. IR protocols were always a pain to configure and

Collapse -
BT in my car - battery life
by Maggie Miller / October 10, 2007 11:44 PM PDT

I'm one of those old (54) - almost fat - BT users, but only in my car. I also think anyone, regardless of age, looks crazy talking to themselves, walking around the mall talking on a headset. I use mine strictly in the car. I've got a Motorola BT for my Razr and have never had a problem with the battery life and it charges in just an hour. I do admit, that since I live in a very small town, I don't use it as much as some of my younger friends, so the battery life lasts for days. When I forget to charge either my phone or BT, I have an extra charger at my office as well as the one at the house and in the car. Makes it very easy to keep both fully charged.

Collapse -
BLUE TOOTH
by WASTEP / October 10, 2007 10:06 AM PDT

It is important to beable to access other devices PDA, mobil phone, etc. It bothers me when people where them 24/7. They are talking to you, or you thing so, but they are talking on the mobil.

Collapse -
Bluetooth is convenient
by viking6500 / October 12, 2007 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: BLUE TOOTH

Allows me to answer my phone hands free. I'll find more uses for the technology as time goes by.

Collapse -
What does Dorky or Cool have to do with it?
by SoftDad / October 10, 2007 10:16 AM PDT

Hey, if it works and makes my life easier (or safer or just more fun), then why would I care what it looks like? Of course I have some limits on that philosophy, but a Blue Tooth ear piece doesn't even come close to those.

OK. Maybe that marks me as the quintessential geek, but that must be somebody else's call.

My bottom line is I can talk on the phone and drive at the same time without invoking my life insurance policy.

Collapse -
Bluetooth headsets - safer than cell phones at the ear?
by acot51 / October 10, 2007 10:18 AM PDT

I can handle dorkiness if they are safer. I understand that microwaves enter a few inches into the brain with standard cell phone use. Headsets are recommended to eliminate this concern, but I have no idea if that applies to Bluetooth technology, since - once again - it's wireless. I'd REALLY appreciate clarification on this. Thanks

Collapse -
Great appearance poor function
by chanetc / October 10, 2007 10:28 AM PDT

When I bought the highly recommended Jabra Blue-tooth ear piece, I was delighted. When I opened the package, I was disturbed by the two ear clips included and my suspicions were confirmed by the fact that you could get free replacements! If if were designed properly in the first place with heat treated spring wire with a plastic coating the thin little plastic ear clip would break or the even tinier catch on the part that attaches to the Jabra, which was designed by someone with no experience in the real world. It breaks, the spare replacement breaks, the free replacement has broken and it sits on my desk with its little green light aglow, but do I dare to take it with me, to have it disappear from my ear as I get out of my car or fall because the designer didn't know anything about materials. If I could use it with confidence, it would be great, but at around $90.00 for a partially functional piece of ear jewelry that is designed by default to break and disappear, it just sits as cool icon of 21st century functionless design.

Collapse -
should be less radiaion... .
by spyker_r / October 16, 2007 2:48 PM PDT

my guess is it should by safer than infrared, microwave or RF due to less emissions.
maybe we should need to obtain some insight about the effects of BT to gain a better understanding. Happy

Collapse -
Yes and NO
by Spencer8821 / October 10, 2007 10:21 AM PDT

I think blue tooth is kool but with phone companys restricting what you can and cant send via blue tooth, it is becomming useless. For instance a friend of mine on the cingular network wanted to bluetooth a song to me that someone bluetoothed to him but nope my verizon lg ENV would accept it. As far as blue tooth ear pieces they are good if you talk a lot while your driving or if you just dont want to hold the phone but i dont talk on my phone hardly while im driving and when im not driving i have no problem holding my phone. Something i dont think many people know is that you can get a blue tooth adapter for your stero and use your in car speakers as your phone for as little as $100.00. If you look around you can find them cheaper than that i found one on ebay for $60.00

Collapse -
Great for hands free communication
by elbet3 / October 10, 2007 10:26 AM PDT

I only have the little ear piece which is hard to keep on my ear but see so many people wearing the big ones. If you have to talk to a tech or service person and type on the computer at the same time it really comes in handy. But I'm a senior citizen so forget to charge it up. I love all new technology and welcome it.

Collapse -
Blue Tooth
by ezyjosh / October 10, 2007 10:27 AM PDT

It is very Important to me-- I am hearing impared and the blue tooth connection lets me use a phone under otherwise Impossible conditions. I could not use a cell phone unless in a controlled noise enviornment. NOW with bluetooth i can answer my OWN phone instead of handing it to my wife.

Collapse -
BlueTooth Bah
by moondoggy / October 10, 2007 10:29 AM PDT

Looking BORG is just NOT cool! It is so yesterday. Once you go BORG you will NEVER be Assimilated again.

Collapse -
BlueTooth-Stupid
by hub_cap / October 10, 2007 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: BlueTooth Bah

I would never put one of those dorky things in my ear.

Collapse -
Blue Tooth... it has become part of getting dressed
by Very Graphic / October 10, 2007 10:38 AM PDT

I am a woman who is a pathetic multi-tasker. I find that bluetooth technology has enabled me to perform more efficiently in all aspects of my daily work. I actually put my headset on in the morning and take it off at the end of the day. The hands-free aspect allows me to do the other tasks demanded of me (driving, typing, etc...). I find that I have less tension in my neck, because I am not trying to hold the phone between my shoulder and ear, while doing other things. Bluetooth has been a wonderful innovation!

Collapse -
Absolute live saver...part of getting dressed in the morning
by Cindy62707 / October 10, 2007 2:32 PM PDT

I LOVE the wireless headset ability as I can keep working and not be yanking a headset off my head as I move about. Also keeps the baby from yanking it off my head while in the middle of changing his diaper too. It's not just for driving in the car although I think it is an absolute necessity there too. I put it on when I get dressed in the morning and take it off at night when I go to bed. Takes the frustration out of trying to get the cell phone off the belt with messy hands in the kitchen (or the above mentioned diapers!) when a call comes in.

I have a Jabra which has a mold-able ear piece. That is the best part about it as the sound quality is not the greatest. But the "better" Motorola has a crappy ear piece because you can't snug fit it and it falls off easily. Also the Motorola couldn't even get the command right most of the time (name or number)...Jabra does a much better job...now IF only they could improve the sound quality for both the user and the person on the other end it would be perfect (along with the mold-able ear pieces...a must!

They need to get the cost down for the home cordless phone bluetooth...checked into one today but $200 is still too high to get rid of the wires for a headset for a land line.

Collapse -
no...
by Joseph3114 / October 10, 2007 10:43 AM PDT

No, i do not think bluetooth is and i agree with the other post, unless your young and in a busniess suit, it looks unstylish. If your older, it brings out wrinkles, fat it brings out more fatness. It's weird sitting or standing by someone talking, espicially in restrooms when there hair is long and you can't see the earpeaice. Bluetooth has never been important in my life, even though everything i have has it, i prefer microSD cards, just seem simpler than having to configure bluetooth. Cause i have so many different devices its hard to keep same settings stored.
Bottom line, sure, there extreemly useful, but i think there very appealing, men is okay, because you can tell there wearing it, but on wemon it looks like they talking to themself, espiacilly when you don't realize she had one on till end of call.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.