AVG forum

General discussion

Is AVG itself becoming intrusive invading nuisance software?

by stephen_jacks58 / November 9, 2009 10:08 PM PST

I tried to send this email through to AVG. But nobody knows how you do that and only sure way to get any response is by paying for the privilege (buying a licence for the Pro version, which I just don't need). So let this, instead, become an open letter on CNET Forums.

Dear AVG

Having downloaded the latest version of AVG, I see that it has hijacked my Internet settings and made Yahoo my default search engine. What makes this absolutely unacceptable is that I'm damned sure I opted NOT to have Yahoo in this role. The consequences?

1) You simply had no right to do this.
2) Having too many search engines is slowing down my computer substantially
3) The unwanted presence of Yahoo is causing conflicts with my other programs - notably other and better search engines. I have Firefox (my default, until AVG barged in) and Internet Explorer. And they're enough.

If my rather nice computer crashes or the hard drive is damaged because of software incompatibility: will you repair it for free at my home, or else send me a brand new machine? Will there also be a substantial compensation for the nuisance and lost time you have caused me?

If you bothered to read online computer forums, you would see hundreds of emails from people who do not like what have done to their equuipment and are trying in vain to evict Yahoo. And nobody seems io know how this is done. ("What the **** is going on?" cries one exasperated US user.)

If I cannot remove Yahoo completely, I shall have to evict your software in its entirety and I shall never load it again. One of your rivals will do very nicely.

And if I have to purge AVG, who should I too not contribute to those leading forums and use them as a public mouthpiece to announce that AVG has itself become a nuisance download, almost as instrusively bad as the spyware and malware you so confidently proclaim that you are here to remove?

Once upon a time AVG was amongst my favourite downloads, one of the ones I recommended first to other internet users. But I'm sick of this. And so are other PC users across the globe. Do something about it, if you would be so kind - and preferably, yesterday.

Rather disappointedly

Stephen Jackson

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is AVG itself becoming intrusive invading nuisance software?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is AVG itself becoming intrusive invading nuisance software?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AVG intrusive software
by AFQR2009 / November 10, 2009 12:46 AM PST

I could not agree more with your letter,i also had purged my computer of Yahoo only for AVG to re-install it!! I use firefox and after downloading AVG9 what a nightmare!!! + the number of complaints on Firefox forums went through the roof. Please AVG stick to what you do best PROTECT US don't add rubbish to our computers.

Collapse -
(NT) Locked pending further consideration.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 10, 2009 1:57 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Unlocked. Feel free to respond.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 10, 2009 4:22 AM PST
Collapse -
Lighten up!
by pleonast / November 11, 2009 10:53 PM PST

I managed to install AVG 9.0 without ending up with Yahoo! as my search provider. I've been using AVG stuff for years and have never really had any problems as it just does what it says on the tin.

What did you do wrong? I agree it's a pain to have these add-ons sometimes, but surely it can't be hard to switch default search provider?

Collapse -
by AFQR2009 / November 12, 2009 2:31 AM PST
In reply to: Lighten up!

May i suggest you read the first letter again, you appear to have missed the point of the letter.I bought AVG because in my opinion it is the best protection you can buy, however that does not give them the right to foist unwanted addons onto my computer.As i have already said in an earlier post AVG is to PROTECT US. If i want Yahoo or anything else that is my decision not AVG's and bye the way if you use Firefox as your browser as i do no it is not easy to change search provider.

Collapse -
Not a "light matter"
by 3DogsNite / February 9, 2013 12:00 PM PST
In reply to: Lighten up!

Its now 2013 AVG is a horrible program that has installed on my root drive and made it impossible to delete.

It is read only and any attempts to change that are denied even though I am an administrator.

I have tried shredding it with a program called Uninstall and it says it can't because its running.

And you can't stop it from running, I tried in Windows. All the running programs are listed and when I select AVG to
stop it just keeps going.

What kind of a jerk program is this?

Collapse -
Re: Not a "light matter"
by Jan_AVG AVG Staff / February 11, 2013 2:55 PM PST
In reply to: Not a "light matter"

Hi 3DogsNite,

Please be informed that AVG 2013 has the Self protection feature which protects AVG files and processes to make sure that an infection won't remove core AVG parts.

I recommend following the How to uninstall AVG 2013 article to fully uninstall AVG.

Let us know the results.

Collapse -
AVG = intrusive
by Wololo54 / December 31, 2013 5:13 AM PST

Recently switched to AVG from Kaspersky entirely because of price and I must say it wasn't worth it at all. AVG is constantly blocking things that pose no threat such as Steam. The last straw was yesterday though... AVG asked if I wanted to block something from C:/windows/system... (I don't remember the entire file name and haven't found it in logs yet) I thought it was odd but I decided to trust in AVG... for the last time. Upon pressing block my screen blacked out. I rebooted and everything seemed fine but it is now apparent that when I try to wake the screen after a period of inactivity the monitor does turn on but remains blank... congrats AVG. You managed to make my computer worse of than it was before.

Collapse -
Re. AVG = intrusive
by Jan_AVG AVG Staff / January 2, 2014 10:50 PM PST
In reply to: AVG = intrusive
Collapse -
AVG Intrusive Behavior
by subwaybuff / January 3, 2014 10:15 AM PST

Always select "Custom install" for any program and carefully read all screens. Custom will allow you to skip items such as changing home page, changing search engine, adding their own toolbar, etc.I use AVG and by using the custom install I have none of the intrusive items

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.