AVG forum

General discussion

Is AVG actually Free?!?

by mgegs / April 19, 2010 3:14 PM PDT

After downloading this "free" version successfully to my PC, I am getting a countdown message saying my "trial" version will expire in XX days.

In visiting the AVG website, I see no "free" downloads, only "trials".

Anybody know the answer to this?

Tks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is AVG actually Free?!?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is AVG actually Free?!?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Is AVG actually Free?!?
by Ondrej_AVG / April 19, 2010 4:23 PM PDT

Hi,

during AVG installation through AVG Download Manager (available at CNET or http://free.avg.com ) you could choose, if you want AVG Free or AVG Trial (30 days). It looks like you have chosen the AVG Trial version option.

You could use "Downgrade" option as soon as the trial license number expires, or just hit AVG uninstall option in menu Start / Control Panel (this option will be showed as well).

Or completely uninstall AVG Trial and install AVG Free.

Full installation file of AVG Free - direct link http://free.avg.com/download-file-ins-afg-free

Another way how to download the full AVG Free installation file is second option on this AVG website:
http://free.avg.com/ww-en/download.prd-afg#tba2

Thank you

Collapse -
This always happens
by warhead1954 / April 28, 2010 6:54 AM PDT

I think it's sharp practice on the part of Avg - they're hoping you'll decide to buy the paid version by hiding the geuinely free version. This has happened to me every time I've tried to istall AVG on my own machines, or friends and relatives' machines and it's really annoying as I end up having to uninstall the trial to install the free version.

Collapse -
Re: This always happens
by Ondrej_AVG / April 28, 2010 3:40 PM PDT
In reply to: This always happens

Hi,

please be informed that it is one part of AVG installation through AVG Download Manager to choose, which AVG product do you want to install.

Else you could always use the AVG Free full installation file as described in my previous post, then no possibility to unwillingly install AVG Trial.

Thank you

Collapse -
AVG free instal
by makita2011 / April 16, 2011 5:58 PM PDT

Yes, I downloaded the 'free version' that has some services disabled. Not the trial version. About 3 weeks later, it tells me the trial version will soon expire. So in uninstal, an option came up to downgrade to free version. I did this, and next day expire notice appears. So, I uninstalled, then reinstalled free version, and for one week, so far, no expire notices. I'll just wait and see. lol

Collapse -
RE: AVG free instal
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / April 17, 2011 5:24 PM PDT
In reply to: AVG free instal

Hello makita2011,
please provide us with a screenshot of the AVG dialogue window displayed and AVG user interface, if you will be informed again about "trial period ending" while AVG Free Edition is installed.
As it is not possible to attach an image to post on this forum, please upload them to your favorite online (image) storage service (ImageShack, Flickr...) and provide us with links to them.
Thank you.

Collapse -
AVG Free Trial
by makita2011 / April 25, 2011 5:11 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: AVG free instal

Sorry, I can not send u a screen shot of dialogue window. I do not trust or use any online image storage services. SJo far, so good, I reloaded AVG Free and it's been 2 weeks I think. No windows appearing to upgrade or, my free trial version is expiring. think the problem is beat. Thank you for the response. Makita

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.