Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Is Ad-Aware compatible with Vista?

by squarepeg72 / March 26, 2007 7:08 AM PDT

I was about to download Ad-Aware when I realized that it's only compatible with XP. Is anyone here with Vista using Add-Aware, and if so, is it working okay? I have McAfee antivirus, but I want protection against spyware also.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Ad-Aware compatible with Vista?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Ad-Aware compatible with Vista?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That is sort of a gray area...
by glenn30 / March 26, 2007 7:44 AM PDT

I have it and am using with Windows Vista... seems to work and updates properly. I see Lavasoft is treading around this and indicates it may or may not work and continue by saying all their focus is now on Ad-Aware 2007 that will be Vista compatible and to be release sometime in the near future... now released in Beta form.

One thing I have noted recently when closing the program there is a noticeable delay but eventually it closes. That may or may not be a problem with Ad-Aware but could just as well be with Vista. I am finding many such irregularities with Vista.

I would try it... hope this helps!

Collapse -
by John.Wilkinson / March 26, 2007 7:46 AM PDT

While it's not officially supported on Vista, most have reported success with the latest release version. They also have a public beta available of the upcoming AdAware 2007 release, which is completely redesigned.

One important thing to note, though, is that AdAware is an adware scanner, not a spyware scanner. Thus, while it may catch some spyware you really should use another program specifically designed to handle adware's more insidious cousin. Windows Defender is built into Vista, while AVG AntiSpyware (formerly Ewido) is a more powerful alternative, which also has a free version.

P.S. McAfee Antivirus does have a spyware scanner built in, but it is not on the same level as Windows Defender or Ewido.

Collapse -
by squarepeg72 / March 27, 2007 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes...

I didn't know that Windows Defender scans for spyware.

Collapse -
Ad-Aware SE fine with Vista
by andypalmer33 / March 29, 2007 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks

I have Ad-Aware SE and it works absolutely fine with Vista Home Premium. I also run Spybot Search & Destroy and Spyware Blaster, which also both work fine. I have never rated Window's Defender as particularly good at identifying spyware.

Collapse -
ad-aware compatiblaty with vista
by mailtowebsniper / March 30, 2007 12:42 PM PDT

i've been using ad-aware for 3 months with out any problem with vista home premium without any problem and dont expect their will be one,and for a anti-virus i would recommend Kasparski Internet Suite 6.0 it has a smaller footprint than mcafee or norton which use up valuable memory when using the new vista system back to adaware remember that you need some of the cookies it removes ,ie. If you want to usr remember me on this computer if you remove those cookies then it wont remember you but back to your question their is NO Problems with compatibilty with VISTA which other than memory usage is great
Have Fun Donny

Collapse -
by squarepeg72 / March 30, 2007 1:56 PM PDT

thanks for the reply. Are you saying that kaspersky does not take up as much RAM as Norton and McAfee? Becuase if so, I am interested in learning more about this program.

Collapse -
windows vista
by dete3tor / March 30, 2007 8:07 PM PDT

WARNIG:before attempting vista, download files and documents into a backup pack file, it is imperitive.Make several disc and double check the disc too make sure everything is there.Then install Vista.It has a seperate key then windows xp.It also may clash with other components as well as old computers that other peps still have and may not be able to reach your clients or customers......

Collapse -
Yes it's compatilbe with vista.
by Samuel Wat / May 12, 2007 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: windows vista

I have vista and I downloaded Ad-Aware. it works perfectly fine. the only problem I've experienced was that browser cookies that it detects are on a different account you must have to log into there account and re-start the scan in-order to delete them!!!!

Hope this helps you and someone help me with my problem.
Just reply to this post.

Collapse -
Are you using an administrative account?
by John.Wilkinson / May 12, 2007 2:39 AM PDT

As long as you are using an administrative account with access privileges granted for the other user's files you should have no problems. Verify your account status and try just browsing to the other user's cookie store to see if you can access it yourself. It may be you are supposed to have access but actually don't.

Collapse -
Another CNet link discussing this same subject...
by glenn30 / May 12, 2007 6:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
About Vista & anti-virus and the whole kaboodle ofdiscontent
by Zhuge_Liang / April 15, 2008 6:26 PM PDT

I understand that this post is a little old but thought that I would offer a few words out of my infinite wisdom (or should that be finite?) - lol.

I just bought myself a new computer and when I was in the shop I was very hesitant about the purchase because it came pre-loaded with Vista. I had heard so many stories about it being terrible that I didn't want to become a victim of Microsoft's incompetence. However.... until now I have found it to be stable and reliable with no adverse effect on productivity. Yes, I did find it to run a little sluggish for a while, so what did I do?
I turned off all unnecessary services and stopped them loading at the system start up.
I got rid of some of the fancy display features. The display still looks nice, but do you really need to have a translucent background in your Explorer windows?
I removed and stopped the windows sidebar feature.
I completely removed the pre-installed version of Norton anti-virus. I absolutely detest this as it has always seemed to place a great strain on system resources. Instead, I did a little research and got an application from ESET called NOD32.
Spybot SD was also added, but I set the preferences for manual scan and not an automatic scan upon start up.

And that was it. My computer boots up in under 40 seconds whereas previously it had been around the 2 minute mark. Applications run a lot faster now.

There are of course a lot of other things that you can do to speed things up, but most of these require playing with the registry and I don't really have the time today tpo explain all of this.

If any of the above seems of interest to you, just do a search in your favourite search engine and you will find step by step instructions.

Thank you for your time.

W. Gates

(just kidding)

Zhuge Liang

Collapse -
Thanks for the comments...
by glenn30 / April 15, 2008 11:26 PM PDT

Hi W. Gates! (just kidding) Grin

Seems you have taken some prudent measures... I too have done as you and removed most of the superfluous items that only slow down the system. As far as I can tell I did all the things you have done.

Thanks for the comments... even though an old thread it's never too late to offer constructive comments and advice.

Happy computing and welcome to the CNet forums where will find much useful information.

Collapse -
Ad - Aware
by bxguy01 / April 29, 2008 10:21 PM PDT

I tried the program and my computer went crazy. I wouldn't advise it.

Collapse -
I found a problem
by Snowbirdphoto / January 20, 2009 3:10 AM PST

I was running ad-aware with my new laptop for a year before I came into a problem and I had adaware 2007. It continually gave me an error message when I signed onto computer. The error message said to send a report to Lavasoft which I did repeatedly. Never heard a word from them back. My computer was also slowing down with all programs. I decided to delete adware and try to determine if better program existed for vista. It took me three tries before I could even delete adware due to the error alert. Don't know what caused the original problem but it was hard to get rid of. Good News..once I did delete program successfully the computer runs awesome just like it used to. My suggestion is to look for compatible programs before trying to use this..maybe patches avail now but I haven't yet decided myself what I will do. Good luck.

Collapse -
Ad-Aware and Vista
by waltsammon / April 11, 2009 1:58 AM PDT

Have been running Ad-Aware Pro and vista for over 2 years and very
happy with the combo. Support from Lavasoft has been excellent.
The new Anniversary edition is very good and I WILL continue my
subscription when it comes due in June.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.