Storage forum

Question

Is a hybrid drive needed to be defragged?

by Magic-wand / April 22, 2012 11:42 AM PDT

Will it harm the drive since it consists with a SSD?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is a hybrid drive needed to be defragged?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is a hybrid drive needed to be defragged?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It has no need, but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2012 3:25 AM PDT

This need appears to be one of the owner and not the device.

One of the signs of a new computer "tech" is they defrag the machine. As they get more seasoned, they stop doing that.
Bob

Collapse -
Some reports say, defragment is not necessary for modern hd
by Magic-wand / April 29, 2012 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: It has no need, but

Is it true?

Collapse -
We have the hardware and we have the user.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2012 5:21 AM PDT

Which one are you trying to convince? I find the users are the ones that want to discuss defragmenting until they get upset about it.

And the OS in use can matter, but at the end of the day you make your choice and use the machine.

Then again, my neighbor seems to use the machine solely to defragment. That is, it's the only thing I've ever seen it running.
Bob

Collapse -
I just read the related article in a magazine
by Magic-wand / April 30, 2012 1:22 PM PDT

I just read the article about this on a computer magazine.

Is it violate the forums rules if I indicate the magazine name?(I am not going or trying to promote any magazine here.)

I bought a hybrid drive and a WD Raptor, both for Windows system, few days ago. I just wanted to know if these kinds of hard drives needed to be defragged in Windows environment?

Collapse -
Should be fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2012 2:56 PM PDT

There is a lot of outdated information out there. Like "hiding the WiFi SSID." That is not adding much security if any but has been found to cause problems for many. How would we update all the old advice?

And about your question. It's a good one but since the hybrid area of flash does not benefit from defragmenting and how it works has little to do with the HDD contents it's going to come down to what the user feels is best. OR you clone the drive, and test it on the defragged clone and the fragged clone to verify it made any difference.

Here with 8GB RAM, the hybrid drive (I put one in my laptop!) I haven't defragged since I installed the new HDD and my machine boots from the really neat zero power sleep system in under 5 seconds. Why defrag?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
You can defrag a hybrid drive, but you shouldn't
by geognerd / May 4, 2012 11:31 AM PDT

I have a regular SSD, but I read about the hybrid drives when planning my PC build. From what I read, if you defrag a hybrid drive, you will lose the benefit of the SSD part of the drive for a while. Files you use frequently are cached on the faster SSD part of the drive. When you defrag the drive, files are moved around on the disk. It will have to re-learn which files you use frequently and rebuild the cache on the SSD drive. I don't know how long this re-learning takes, if it's hours or days.

For what it's worth, this webpage from Seagate says to turn off the automatic defragging.

Collapse -
It doesn't matter if only lose the cache function for a whil
by Magic-wand / May 4, 2012 2:54 PM PDT

It doesn't matter if only lose the cache function for a while but it becomes a big problem if the SSD cache is defragged along with the disk since the frequently used data is stored in it.

When a drive is defragged, the data inside will be frequently used(move from one area to another). In this situation, will the frequently used data be mapped into SSD cache? It is my question in the very beginning.

Collapse -
Only the drive maker can answer but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2012 5:59 AM PDT

That is exactly what the hybrid drive is supposed to do. LEARN what is being used a lot and move that to the cache.

THERE is some debate if it really works so I can't answer if it really works or not. I own a few and yes they are faster but defragging today seems to be more for the user than the PC.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.