Phones

General discussion

Is a 8gb iPod touch enough memory?

by Aidan125 / April 22, 2009 6:55 AM PDT

Hi, i am debating whether or not i should get a 8gb or a 16gb ipod touch. Here is what i will mainly be using it for.
- 1000 or so songs
- Movies 2-4
- A few apps
- Maybe a few pictures but not many
Any advice is welcome, thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is a 8gb iPod touch enough memory?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is a 8gb iPod touch enough memory?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Perhaps...
by John.Wilkinson / April 22, 2009 8:15 AM PDT

The average song consumes 3.4MB of storage while an average movie takes around 1GB, an average application takes less than 5MB, and the pictures depend entirely on the actual quality. Thus, you are looking at 3.4GB + 4GB = 7.4GB for the music and videos, which is about the actual storage capacity of the 8GB model. A little tight, but, if you keep it to three movies instead of four, it is entirely doable.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks
by Aidan125 / April 23, 2009 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Perhaps...

Thanks for the advice John, helped a lot.

Collapse -
Depends
by deniceels / May 24, 2009 4:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Perhaps...

I will suggest the bigger capacity (16gb) as I'm using a 8GB and when I'm hitting close to 7.5GB filled, the ipod starts giving problems of resetting the player. Coupled with the possibilities of adding applications, I will take the bigger 1 anyday as this will let me have more free space to play around with... adding more e-books, emails, movies, musics.. etc...

Collapse -
it may be depending on what you add
by cademan17 / August 6, 2010 2:09 AM PDT

8gb is very reasonable, i was worried about the same concept when i got my touch so i got a 64 gb lol. way to much space. i still have 50 gigs and i hav everything i want. but to hav extra space for new stuff, i wouldnt go with pictures. other than that try to keep it down to about 3 movies, 1000songs and around a page of apps. because when you get the ipod it only has 6.8 gigs cuz apple downloads the menu and that takes away from the 8. if you do this you will be fine and hav extra space fo rwhen new stuff comes out.

Collapse -
UNSURE ON 8GB
by undead314 / April 14, 2012 11:33 AM PDT

look, this is whats up!

*somewhere around 100-200 songs
*LOTS OF APPS (probably going to be free if that has anything to do with the amount of space it takes up)
*200 pictures
....Will this be good as far as 8gb or should I consider a 16 or 32 gb???

PLEASE HELP ASAP Happy
Thanks HappyHappyGrin

Collapse -
If you can afford it, go bigger
by Anewbike / August 6, 2012 4:53 AM PDT

If you can afford it, try and go up to 16gb. It's simpler and more enjoyable to just drop music and videos on your iPod. Because you can manage what's on there individually, you could make due with the small guy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.