TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Is a 7.3 foot distance from a 46 inch 1080p LCD reasonable?

by Jason_Alexandris / February 18, 2008 1:12 PM PST

Just wondering if sitting 7.3 feet from a 46 inch TV (a 1080p LCD TV) is too close?

I'm looking for personal opinions based on experience.

Thanks for any advice!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is a 7.3 foot distance from a 46 inch 1080p LCD reasonable?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is a 7.3 foot distance from a 46 inch 1080p LCD reasonable?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
quite reasonable
by jostenmeat / February 18, 2008 1:37 PM PST

Your viewing angle is 25.8 deg

6.2 is Maximum distance for SMPTE (30 deg)

7.2 is Maximum for THX (26 deg)

5.1 is Recommended THX (36 deg)

If distance of 7.3 ft is constant, and screen size is variable

53.9" screen SMPTE

65.3" THX recommended.

And some people argue over 42" and 50" from 12 ft. Oh just playin', personal preference is always key, per usual.

Collapse -
Should be ok;
by ahtoi / February 19, 2008 1:06 AM PST

and your thinking behind the question is/are?

Collapse -
Can you see the screen.
by lilsim89 / February 19, 2008 1:07 AM PST

I think there's a little too much emphasis on how far\close one sits to the TV, though I understand you're just curious.

Sit where it's comfortable, instead of thinking 2225mm away. I know some people who won't sit anywhere but the back of a theater (probably the worst seats besides front row) and enjoy the movie much better than sitting in the best seats (middle\middle) because that's where they're comfortable.

Collapse -
Its seems alittle large to me
by gabereyes / February 19, 2008 2:57 AM PST

I set about 7-8 feet back, I had a 52inch HDTV and switched to a 34inch but my next TV will be a 42inch.

I would say 42 is the right size, but I cant stand a really big TV they give me a head ache and make me sick if I watch them to long.

good luck

Collapse -
Seating distance...
by stuntman_mike / February 19, 2008 3:12 AM PST

was a bigger issue in the early HDTV days especially with LCDs. You had lower resolutions and excessively large spaces between pixels (Screen Door Effect) that you did not want to sit too close to the screen lest you saw all of the TVs shortcomings.

With todays advances in the manufacturing process of making the spaces between pixels almost invisible, and the advent of the extra resolution goodness that is 1080p, it is encouraged that you sit as close to the screen as you can bear in order to see all of the extra resolution that you paid for.

The only real factor in seating distance today is how far is too far to sit from the screen where the benefits of 1080p are no longer apparent? This is a debated question that must also take into account screen size. There is no clear cut formula for determining what size TV you need at what distance to be able to tell 1080p from 720p. The only thing that you can say for sure is that the bigger the TV and the closer you sit, the more pronounced the benefits of 1080p become.

With a a 46" 1080p TV and sitting 7' away, you are definitely not too close to the TV (if you can sit closer and be comfortable, I would do it).

Whether you are too far away from the TV is something that is a little harder to answer.

But you are most likely at a "reasonable" distance.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.