Computer Help forum

General discussion

Is 3 GB really better than 2 GB?

by dvcoomer / July 15, 2010 1:56 PM PDT

I'm going to buy a very basic laptop for work and I've found two models at around the same starting price. One has 2GB Ram, and one has 3GB ram. One comes with windows 7 32 bit and the other is 64 bit. I have Vista 64 bit on my personal laptop, but rarely use 64 bit applications because alot of stuff isn't supported (especially using the web browsers). With everything else being equal, is it worth it to get the 3GB system, or will the 64 bit programs become resource hogs? Would I be better off staying with a 2 gb system and 32 bit apps? Is there a significant difference either way?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is 3 GB really better than 2 GB?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is 3 GB really better than 2 GB?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
its all depend
by DJRemix666 / July 15, 2010 2:17 PM PDT

its all depend, 3GB with 64bit is not faster then 2GB with 32bit because the 64bit version need more ram so its the same its equal, the 32bit version can allow you to put 3GB of ram max and the 64bit version can allow you to put 128GB of ram max and another things if you have 32bit with 2GB and another computer with 32bit too but 3GB its not gonna be really really faster just a little that you cant really see the difference but its sure if you have 2GB dual channel its better then 3GB single channel because ram is there to transfer information to the processor and if two ram can work like a chain its better anyways the principal thing you want to watch on it for the speed is the processor if its dual core and how much GHz you have

Collapse -
Yes
by Jimmy Greystone / July 15, 2010 9:56 PM PDT

Yes. If everything else is equal, it's definitely worth getting additional RAM. You may not need it now, but who knows what may happen in the future.

And laptops almost always "share" RAM with the video chip, when it's all said and done, the system with 3GB will likely have a little over 2GB of actual usable memory left.

Collapse -
For my work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 12:02 AM PDT

All the new machines are 64 bit. You'll find naysayers on this so let them nay away. Here I enjoy the new world even with my 32-bit apps working just fine.

Vista 64 bit could give some a bad feeling of the move to 64-bit. I know that one and can share that 7 in 64 bit is very nice.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.