iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

Is 16gb enough for ipad3?

by ankitgindoria / November 13, 2012 12:29 PM PST

Hi,

I am going for Ipad 3 but now question is whether I should go for 16gb or 32gb. I will be using around 4gb in music and around 3gb on videos. I am planning to use high definitions games but I will be playing 2 or 3 at the time so my guess is they will be around 4-5 gb. So I am left with approximately 4gb for applications and other programs. So my question is whether those 4gb are enough for having most of the applications and programs? I love applications and planned to have most of them installed and I will be disappointed if I am not able to install more applications with lack of space. Thanks. ( I can use home sharing option of itune to free my space limit or may be dropbox account)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is 16gb enough for ipad3?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is 16gb enough for ipad3?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
For some, no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 2:12 PM PST

It's one of the tough decisions to make but it runs fine and you can shuffle content on and off as needed. Some folk can only get by with all their collection on the pad. I continue to just shuttle content as needed or try the cloud storage.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Not if you have high space requirements, such as HD games
by Pepe7 / November 13, 2012 11:35 PM PST

It's always a good idea to give yourself extra capacity with such devices, especially when the device has no memory card slot, like Apple iOS devices ;).

Seriously though, anyone who knows they will be playing multiple games in HD should always keep storage on reserve should the need arise later on to install other stuff. IME, anyway. Eating the cost up front is worth it IMO.

Collapse -
It depends
by rta53 / November 22, 2012 9:17 PM PST

I have 32 gigs on both my iPod and iPad. However I bought them myself. I have an iPhone provided by my employer and it has 16g. If you don't play games much then 16 may be enough. I have podcasts on my iPhone that take up about 1g and music that takes another 1g or so. I would like to have had the extra room on my iPhone but didn't have the option. I am down to about 3.3g on my phone, mostly because of apps. If you plan on taking video on your iPad then the extra space might be nice to have.

Collapse -
Answer
ipad memory
by BobShobe / November 23, 2012 1:20 AM PST

you need at least 32gb i would go for 64gb and forget about

Collapse -
Answer
Best suggestion....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / November 23, 2012 1:34 AM PST

....is to buy as much as you can afford.

Collapse -
Answer
Go for 32
by websquad / November 23, 2012 1:41 AM PST

I have an iPad 2 and got the 16GB version. Now, a year or so later, I regret not getting the 32GB version. I like to download my magazine subscriptions (Time, Wired, Consumers Reports), and those suckers take up a bunch of room. I don't play games, so that's not an issue. And I have my Droid 4 smart phone for music (and, this may sound strange, but I actually use a camera to take pictures). So, as they say down South (waaay down South), Geaux for 32!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.