Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Desktops

Question

Ironside Computers Review?

by amstrdm / July 6, 2011 2:38 PM PDT

So I've been shopping around for a desktop to replace my old laptop and at first I was looking at Newegg, which lead to ibuyPower (I'd like a custom build) but after reading the reviews on ibuyPower I was hesitant to go with them.

One of the reviews suggested Ironside Computers. So I went to their website and poked around bit, they seem reputable, although there were a few warning signs that went up.

First, under Testimonials, there were only 5. Total.
Second, there was only one entry on Resellerratings.com
Third, I haven't been able to find any quality discussion about the company on-line.

So I turn to you cnet,

They any good?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ironside Computers Review?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ironside Computers Review?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
IMO, check...
by Willy / July 7, 2011 12:37 AM PDT

Be honest to yourself. If you find little or no info on a company you plan to do business with, then move on. Don't fill-in required knowledge with hard luck stories. Plainly put, try someone else with better reviews or at least more of them and take it from there.

Collapse -
Answer
My experience.
by Agabum / July 10, 2011 6:04 AM PDT

Hello amstrdm. Hopefully I can shed a little light on the company for you. Before I say anything, I'm not the actual person who bought the computer my brother did. I prefer to build my own and have been for almost 6 years now, and I probably always will.

Collapse -
Answer
Look Out
by Patisdabest / September 10, 2011 1:35 AM PDT

Every single review ive seen for them (on this page included) the person who wrote the review has only 1 post on their account on each site. (http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Ironsidecomputers_com) I only have this 1 post just to warn u lol. I suggest going with a big company that you can 100% trust like dell or HP or something.

Collapse -
Good Advice
by oldskooldev / March 14, 2013 1:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Look Out

I was looking at ironside and saw this thread. I hadn't even noticed it, but went back and googled and found that every positive review was by a person who'd written only 1 post and usually joined the same day. It's been 1.5 years since Patisdabest pointed this out and situation seems to be the same.

I haven't bought a computer from them - maybe they're completely legit, but these endorsements don't feel right...

Collapse -
Answer
Get your facts straight
by Stillts / September 11, 2011 1:13 PM PDT

I agree with you what your saying Pat, and in fact this is my first post also, so watch out, lol. I'm personally not an active member on Cnet just like Pat or Agabum, I just found this the same way Pat did, by googling Ironside Computers. This was the first thing that came up, so take my post for whatever it's worth. In this case with Ironside Computers I can definitely say they are a legit company. I'm in the Las Vegas area, and I've had them building computers for me for almost 4 years now. The reason you don't see many review is because they've only recently begun selling online, and if your ever in the Las Vegas area just go check them out for yourself. They're located in southwest Las Vegas by Rainbow and Robindale.

Collapse -
=)
by Patisdabest / September 12, 2011 12:59 AM PDT

I was just saying 2 companies that are big as examples lol

Collapse -
Answer
Happy Customer of Ironside Computers
by Faron13 / January 13, 2012 12:15 PM PST

I purchased a fairly high end gaming system about six weeks ago from Ironsides and I am impressed. When doing research I came across this very post and told myself that if I am happy with the system I will come back here and put in my two cents.

Collapse -
Answer
re: Ironside Computers Review
by CNETWalter / November 1, 2012 2:50 AM PDT

I had them build a mid-tier gaming system for me and it was well shipped, and worked perfectly and I am happy. I found them after some research on the 'net and yes there isn't much out there review-wise but it was mostly positive and I took the plunge. I'd recommend them. Of course you will save money building your own system but I went the more expensive route. It seemed also a better bet than Cyberpower, IBuyPower or Dell's Alienware.

Recommended

Collapse -
Answer
Made my account just to voice my opinion on this matter.
by danwoodcock / February 23, 2014 9:19 AM PST

First off, I would imagine that what reviews you do find out there on this company, may be posted by a user with only 1 post, because what exactly are some of the other things you would post on whatever website/forum you read it on? Most people that have responded to this thread have only 1 comment and many of the forums that I have posted on have maybe 1-5 posts except Reddit. I have never had a reason to be apart of the c-net forums until now so rest assured I am not being paid by anyone for posting this.

Secondly, I found this thread the same way many people described earlier. I have been looking at buying my first gaming rig and have been seeing whats out there. I went to iBuypower first, and after dealing with the customer service dept I immediately cancelled my order. I have done Customer Service for +10 years and have only been treated the way I was by Steven(cs rep's name) at places like McDonald's and Burgerking, which is kinda unfair to mc dee's and burgerking's rep. Any communication that was done between iBuypower and myself was solely initiated by me. None of my calls were returned and questions in emails were never answered.

I checked my statement 5 days later and found that iBuypower had removed 300 dollars from my account, but nothing else. I called my sales rep(Mike) several times to figure out why the total hadn't been taken, but again no calls were ever returned. Apparently they were unable to verify that I was infact the cardholder but had still helped themselves to 300 dollars from an account that they were unsure was legit or fraudulent.

To sum this story up, I would just like to say that if you are jumping into the custom gaming "rig" arena, do not be bamboozzeled by a company with a fancy looking website. iBuypower sponsors my favorite League of Legends team and that's why I started there but bells and whistles in this circumstance have been cheap paint. So please take heed of iBuypower, I understand people have bad days, but every employee I communicated with from that company made me feel like I was bothering them with ignorant questions.

I found Ironside Computers after that fiasco, and have yet to order from them because I have been doing the same thing many of the other users that posted on this thread, researching the legitimacy of the potential companies that supply custom gaming hardware, pre- assembled and configured with 10x the options of the bigger more established companies.

I was extremely stoked to find some genuine seeming reviews from people that have bought from Ironside, and I think I have finally found a company that seems like they are willing to do their job and give me the time of day to take my money and make me feel like my business is valued.

ps: Whoever recommended Dell or HP... I am not trying to be a forum troll here, but if you are looking for a custom gaming machine and don't want to order parts via Newegg, going to HP or Dell would be a step in the opposite direction.

Collapse -
Answer
Absolutely Satisfied With Ironside Computer
by gasugrant2 / May 13, 2014 7:55 AM PDT

5/13/2014

I purchased a custom system from Ironside in January, 2012. I researched many different sellers including big box stores and none could provide me with a specific machine to meet my needs in video editing and production. I found Ironside by doing a Google search for computers companies. Went to their website and poked around. Finally called the customer # and started to asked questions. Very impressed with the replies. The main person that I spoke with was Robert at the time. It took me 4 or 5 calls to finally decide all of the specs that I wanted because I kept needing answers to questions about various components. Robert never got tired of answering my questions about OC MB, RAM, Video cards, additional ports, HD's, PS, etc. VERY PLEASED with service and speed of filling order. It's been running for 28 months now, every day, mostly all day. It never even begins to bog down with my video editing software and projects.
I would highly recommend them above Dell and HP and certainly above IBuyPower.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.