PC Hardware forum

General discussion

IrDA Protocol?

by geno49 / October 8, 2006 4:14 PM PDT

Can someone explain to me exactly what a" Serial Cable using IrDA Protocol" is? Device manager says it is not working properly. Is this something I might need for some reason or is it unimportant as far as a missing driver is concerned. Is it safe to uninstall or should I try to fix it? Another words, what is this driver for? Thanks for any help. Windows XP compaq presario SR1820NX.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IrDA Protocol?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IrDA Protocol?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2006 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: IrDA Protocol?

The question is what it is and not how to fix it. While interesting I can answer what it is.

IrDA is a standard which I won't duplicate here but offer a link for reading. Read "Infrared starting Point" at http://rfdesign.com/mag/radio_infrared_communications_using/index.html

At this point you'll have the basic of IrDA signaling.

Next you need to know that IrDA has a standard to replace Serial Cables called a serial profile. You'll see this in Bluetooth as well. The most common usage was to sync PDAs over IrDA.

The IrDA Protocol itself is about the size of a small book so if you really want to know exactly each bit of the protocol is, it won't fit in this response but you can type IrDA Protocol into google.com and get more links.

Hope this answers your question.

Collapse -
by ask4anu / October 14, 2006 8:37 PM PDT
In reply to: IrDA Protocol?

buddy if you just new what you said that is 2 different techs that arent compatiable idra is infra red and wireless(bluetooth) and serial is a cable protocol and i havent heard of anything using the 2 to talk to each other but i guess stanger thinks have happened one plugs in the other transfers data through infra red light waves they can not be physically attached so it sounds to me as if you have a confilct in your irq settings and if you arent using any infra red devices i would say you need to remove any irq settings for the irda and reboot and see if the messages stops that irda is special equipment at which most normal pc home user do not use unless you have something that use INFRA RED

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.