Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Iran girl gets 100 lashes for sex

by Mark5019 / February 24, 2005 8:52 AM PST

A teenage girl and two young men in Iran have been sentenced to lashes for having sex.
The court dismissed the girl's claim that we was raped. It said she had sex of her own free will, the official Iran Daily newspaper reported.

The girl was sentenced to 100 lashes because her accusations of rape and kidnap could have landed her partners a death penalty, the Tehran judge said.

Sex outside marriage is illegal in Iran and capital punishment can be imposed.

The young men in the case were sentenced to 30 and 40 lashes each.

Rights violations

well lets see we show naked pictures to the captives and theres a big outrage wheres the outrage for this crap.
such a loveing people

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4295111.stm

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Iran girl gets 100 lashes for sex
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Iran girl gets 100 lashes for sex
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I love the part
by Jerry562 / February 24, 2005 9:08 AM PST

where the girl does the same thing and then lies and gets 1/4 of the sentence of the boys. Sounds like our divorce courts.

Collapse -
Where did that come from?
by Diana Forum moderator / February 24, 2005 11:40 AM PST
In reply to: I love the part
Collapse -
My Bad
by Jerry562 / February 24, 2005 8:49 PM PST

I misread it. I must be a little bitter Happy

Collapse -
Rights violations
by JP Bill / February 24, 2005 10:42 AM PST
But because he betrayed me, I filed the case against him and his friend out of revenge

If there was no betrayal (whatever that means) would she have said anything?

How did the officials find out about the sex? Did she tell?

We've had a few discussions where, you had no problem saying people were guilty, just because they were suspected of some crime.

I could say your position is a little like what you accuse the Iranian law system of being. (such a loveing people)
Collapse -
well thats the peaceull people
by Mark5019 / February 24, 2005 10:46 AM PST
In reply to: Rights violations

i never claimed to be peacefull.
nope i saw thats unjust lashing, what the guards did didnt hurt those scum

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / February 24, 2005 10:57 AM PST
It said she had sex of her own free will,

"But because he betrayed me, I filed the case against him and his friend out of revenge."

The girl was sentenced to 100 lashes because her accusations of rape and kidnap could have landed her partners a death penalty

She didn't get 100 lashes for "sex" she got them for "PERJURY"

And the 2 guys that had sex outside of marriage each got the lashed.

You complain that criminals in the US get off too easily with a slap on the wrist.

Well, this people didn't get off easy.What's the problem?.

Do you think she will falsely accuse someone of rape again?

Do you think the guys will do the nasty again?
Collapse -
listen my frozen canadian
by Mark5019 / February 24, 2005 11:01 AM PST
In reply to: Response

they cut hands off over there oh but thats them u say

she had sex not do/sell drugs such a peacefull people

Collapse -
my?
by JP Bill / February 24, 2005 11:17 AM PST

my

1 Used as a modifier before a noun: my boots; my accomplishments.

2 Used preceding various forms of polite, affectionate, or familiar address: My friend, you are so right

I hope you're using definition #2 when you say my frozen Canadian.

they cut hands off over there oh but thats them u say I didn't say anything about cutting hands off , but they have their laws and the US has it's laws.

she had sex and she got the lash for perjury

not do/sell drugs You brought up drugs, not me

such a peacefull people You said that , not me

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) lol
by Mark5019 / February 24, 2005 11:20 AM PST
In reply to: my?
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Tell me which part was funny, I'll use it again
by JP Bill / February 24, 2005 11:23 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) lol
Collapse -
Well maybe so, maybe no
by Roger NC / February 24, 2005 11:53 AM PST
In reply to: Response
It said she had sex of her own free will,

But that was the courts ruling, not her admission.

The question becomes what does it mean when she says betrayal? Was she in love and was betrayed by her boyfriend setting up sex with another. Or betrayed because after she had sex with both of them (at his urging?) he didn't want her around? Or by betrayed did she mean raped by him and his friend, or even just by his friend and he did nothing?

"But because he betrayed me, I filed the case against him and his friend out of revenge."

But it never says what is meant by betrayal. Just dumping her after sex? or setting up the rape session with his friend for both of them to abuse her?

No where in the article I read did she admit to perjury. She was found guilty of it by the court, with no listing of evidence of why. Just the word of two males against the word of one female?

The girl was sentenced to 100 lashes because her accusations of rape and kidnap could have landed her partners a death penalty, the Tehran judge said.

Have no idea if the court was right, wrong, or just totally biased against women (gues which way I'd tend to believe based just on how they punish the crime?).

If you believe the court was right about the perjury, and she subjected them to the threat of the death penality because she was rejected, etc., then in a system that uses lashes, not sure if hers was disportionate to the men or not.

...quotes the girl, who has not been named, as confessing: "I trusted one of these young men, whom I got to know by phone, and went to his place.

Does sound a bit strange for such a strict society, but people (boys and girls) have been fools more than one time over emotions.

If the court was wrong about the perjury, or just didn't give a rat's *** about a womans word against two men, or if the betrayal was the act of rape by one or both of them, then it's all a crock of nonsense.

Given the past reports of Iran's treatment of women, indeed of Sharia law treatment of women in general, I'm willing to believe she was raped.

Maybe she was just tricked, cajoled, beguiled, or just wantonly entered into sex with both of them and then was angry about the relationship later. Then the court would be right, at least technically.

Of course, you have to wonder if they went bragging about it, or her family found out some other way, and since such a fallen woman would have no life in Iran's current sturcture, she lied about it trying to avoid becoming and outcast and dispise and mistreated by all.

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com
Collapse -
I don't like the punishment
by Steven Haninger / February 24, 2005 10:49 AM PST

We will never know the whole story behind this or be able to understand the culture. Such punishment, whatever the circumstances, would not be allowed here. But, what bothers me as much as the method was that it was not doled out equally regardless of gender.

Collapse -
it was not doled out equally
by JP Bill / February 24, 2005 11:34 AM PST

All 3 had sex

So all 3 got at least 30 lashes

Her and the boy that set things up got 10 extra lashes (total of 40)

She got extra 60 lashes for accusing them of rape. (perjury)

OR

The guys got the lashes for having sex and she got the 100 lashes for perjury.

If she didn't make the charge, which she admitted was false, she wouldn't have got the extra punishment.

Collapse -
What I find interesting is that
by Diana Forum moderator / February 24, 2005 11:44 AM PST
Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / February 24, 2005 11:55 AM PST

I think the family "picks" the husband for their daughter at a very young age.

And If a girl has sex outside of marriage it is a disgrace to the entire family. Some family members are, (not sure if 'obligated to' is the proper term ) obligated to punish her, sometimes they kill her.

Collapse -
Well. We can be happy that in this country
by Steven Haninger / February 24, 2005 8:11 PM PST

lying about a "crime" doesn't tend to have a higher price tag than committing it.

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / February 24, 2005 8:46 PM PST
lying about a "crime" doesn't tend to have a higher price tag than committing it.

The two guys that were accused of rape (which carries the death penalty)

by a girl (female) which received a lashing (which is less that the death penalty) for lying about the rape (perjury)

So the same applies over there.

The guys were lashed for having sex, not for rape.

The judge said that he didn't believe they raped her.
Collapse -
Actually a careful reading shows...
by Edward ODaniel / February 25, 2005 3:52 AM PST

that the amount of punishment was carefully considered.

Rape can be punished by death and that is what she tried to claim although she stated herself that:
"I trusted one of these young men, whom I got to know by phone, and went to his place.

Her punishment reflected the illicit sex participation (same as the males) as well as the false accusations (as determined by the court). While who received what was not detailed for the males, it would appear on the surface that it was probably the one who gained her confidence and trust that received the greater punishment.

One needn't agree with the punishments to recognize that quite probably justice was meted out equitably within the tenets of their judicial system.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm with you on this one Mark
by Ziks511 / February 26, 2005 3:01 PM PST
Collapse -
Well it goes to show how utterly brutal they are
by SteveGargini / February 26, 2005 5:05 PM PST

and to their women folk as well.
I find it absolutely disgusting.
We can only imagine what these people would do with a nuclear bomb, given half an excuse.

Collapse -
Whip! Whip! Ouch!
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / February 26, 2005 11:13 PM PST

Conservatively, how many parents in the Western Society do support their young teens having Free Sex with whomever (boyfriends, girlfriends, experimental fun)?

Liberally, how many parents in the same society bitterly agree so long as Free Sex is exercise safely?

In any case, in spite of Sexual Education provided by the country, how many teenage pregnancy and abortion taking place each year? How many contracted STD each year? How many of the teenage life in this society have been shattered by their irresponsible actions which causes delay to a somewhat smooth phase towards adulthood such as pursuing a career? It appears that most teenagers in this country are divirginized on or before 12. Some competition about how early one gets laid. How many of these problems does the society have to face?

Too much freedom out of control but it's accepted by a Free Democratic society.

On the other hand, Iran's restrictive Shariah Law contains and limits the problems that the Western Society is experiencing. Hide the mischievous acts one so desire knowing the consequences when caught. Whip Whip Ouch! This punishment is openly done in public to serve as deterrent for others.

I suppose the Western influence are getting more and more into the minds of the people in many Islamic countries and to do away causes conflicts between the government and people and becomes the empowering eyes of criticism by the outsiders (West).

I would think that for those perceiving such inhumane laws, the West for example should be more relax opening its border to accommodate the revolting citizens of these countries.

"Ops! But wait! They are Arab looking and Muslims, NO ENTRY"

CL
chuckles, thinks criticism can be seen from both ends of the world. Thinks that if an individual is unhappy about their country, they should make every effort to LEAVE. Leave the fight for the Freedom Fighters against their government. I'd choose the first.

Collapse -
Some facts...
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / February 27, 2005 3:05 AM PST
In reply to: Whip! Whip! Ouch!

I'm surprised to see such punishment taking place in Iran. Since the country is predominantly a Shia sect, what happen to their Mutah practice (temporary marriage), a practice that is banned or unacceptable by the orthodox majority Sunni sect.

These teens could have taken this course of action to avoid prosecution but then again probably not if the parents of each side have already agreed for their children's arranged marriage. Hmmmm! Some tough culture to deal and live in. Such pressure!

From the Shia's perspective (their site), what is Mutah?
Explained in Chapters 2,3, 4 including brief Sunni views.

In any case, Mutah hmmmmm yuck! It is a form of marriage which the contract stipulates will last for a fixed period of time could be a day, 2 days, a week a month meaning it can end ANYTIME. It's just a simple way of legalizing illegal sex and prostitution. Absolutely! this practice degrades women.

cl

Collapse -
Know nothing about the Mutah law, or other Islamic law
by Roger NC / February 27, 2005 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: Some facts...

really, but just wondering if the fact it was two guys and a woman not just a man and a woman.

Couldn't the second man involved have prevented such an "escape" as well as possible family ire?

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.