Samsung forum

General discussion

IR Cable Box Remote Interference with Samsung Plasma

by DaveFlutie / September 11, 2009 12:14 AM PDT

Just bought a Samsung Plasma PN50B450 50-Inch 720p TV. Immediately after installing I noticed that my Motorola cable box wasn't working very well. Sometimes having to press the desired button several times before getting it to work. Sometimes it would not work at all and I'd have to control the cable functions from the cable box itself. This especially happens with the arrow keys on the cable box remote when attempting to browse, play, erase DVR recordings.

I have scoured the internet looking for a solution, and while I have found several related problems, it seems that there is no clear cut method to resolving the problem.

I would really appreciate any help with this issue.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IR Cable Box Remote Interference with Samsung Plasma
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IR Cable Box Remote Interference with Samsung Plasma
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 12, 2009 2:41 PM PDT

I've seen an IR issue related to some of the 2008 products, but rare is the case when it happens with a 2009 model. Does it work better as time goes on, or is it the same regardless of how much time has passed since the television turns on?

If it's regardless of time, it may be an issue with the box.

Collapse -
by DaveFlutie / September 13, 2009 10:53 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply. It does get better if the TV has been left on for awhile. After it's been turned off and back on again it seems like we are back to square one.

Collapse -
IR Cable Box Remote with Samsung LCD TV
by jbow22 / September 14, 2009 12:59 AM PDT

I purchased a LN52A850 TV in December 08. Since then I have had 4 cable box replacements. My current cable box is a SA Explorer 8500HD. All these boxes had different issues and replaced, but one issue has been consistant and without resolution. Once I turn on my TV and cable box using the remote, I cannot change channels or use the remote for approx 5 minutes, after that time the remote and TV work fine. It's just that 5 or 6 minute delay that is bothersome. Comcast has no answers ?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 16, 2009 1:17 PM PDT

The A850 (2008) units do have a fix for an affected board, and you can have that replaced by calling 800-SAMSUNG.

If you need help with that, please let me know. But as far as I know, this is not affecting the 2009 models.

Collapse -
by DaveFlutie / September 16, 2009 1:31 PM PDT

So you don't have a solution to this problem? What do you mean it's not affecting 2009 models? My original post stated that it is in fact happening with my 2009 model.

Is this the typical corporate deny deny deny mentality or did you just not understand my question?

I guess I will have to start the return process for my TV.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 17, 2009 10:17 AM PDT

yoco007 -

I was responding to the other gentleman.

This is one of two posts that I've ever seen with the issue happening with a B (2009) model. So I don't have a solution, or an explanation. If returning it makes you happy, then do what is best for you, or the IR boards could be bad and the service tech may be able to swap them out. I'm sorry you're having the issue, but I don't know how service handles that particular model with this particular symptom.

Collapse -
pn50b450b IR Interference
by / October 22, 2009 1:06 PM PDT

I bought a pn50b450b last summer and it worked fine with my cable box until about a month ago. About the time I switch to HD cable. I am experiencing sluggish or non-responsive remote control with my Charter box when the TV is on. The issue does not reduce after any amount of time. I have replaced the remote 3 times and once replaced the box. I haven't tried switching back to just a coax cable between the DVR and the tv but I have tried different HDMI cords. Otherwise nothing else changed in the hook up or environment. If i use a different tv with the PN50b450b turned off the cable box the works fine, turn on the plasma even with it unhooked and the cable box stops responded to the remote. I call samsung and am told its a cable issue and will be charged $200 to $400 dollars for a tech to be sent out. I think this is outrageous!!! Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Samsung Support leaves me looking for a new TV
by / December 7, 2009 11:01 PM PST

Well folks, since I started having problems with IR interference I have been in a battle with Samsung to get it fixed. I finally did get a tech to come out, verify the problem, attempt to fix it and then declare the TV unrepairable. In hindsight that was the easy part, and trust me that wasn't easy. Since Samsung's "tech" came out its been almost a month of phone calls, delays, squirming and out right lies from Samsung staff. If your having any problems with your TV I highly recommend videotaping the problem and keeping excellent records of your dealings with Samsung because they continually look for ways to avoid having to do anything for you. BUYER BE WARE!!

Collapse -
by DaveFlutie / December 7, 2009 11:10 PM PST

Ignore, deny, ignore, deny. This is Samsung's strategy.

Collapse -
My 2011 Plasma has same issue; with a twist
by FJT13 / November 16, 2011 9:31 AM PST

Just purchased a 59" Samsung Plasma and my Motorola cable remote will not work with it after two commnds; but here's the twist, when we pull up the menu with the Samsung remote, the remote works perfectly in the background. Drop the menu and the remote no longer works...ok Samsung techs, tell me what the menu screen is blocking PLEASE. If we cannot figure this out it is going back.

Collapse -
Experiencing it here too.
by jrmyhill2001 / March 23, 2012 11:05 AM PDT

I just bought a Samsung 59" (PN59D530) and have this same issue. The Motorola IR universal remote will not work with the HD DVR box. With the tv menu pulled down the remote works perfect like another person noted. I tried resetting the tv to "home" mode and the remote worked well for a short time and then intermittently. Currently I have the TV sitting on a stand. Hopefully when I mount the tv on the wall, further separated from the HD box, the problem won't be as pronounced. In the mean time I have turned the tv brightness to it's lowest setting and the problem isn't quite as bad as it used to be. What's sad here is that the Comcast tech new more about this issue than the Samsung Tech. But in the end they pointed fingers at each other saying it was their problem and not ours.

Collapse -
Still Working
by FJT13 / March 26, 2012 7:21 AM PDT

I have tried a couple of different moves; all involving my cable box being blocked in some way and they have all worked. The last was placing a nice cloth I have under the TV to where it draped over most of the front of the cable box and it seemed to run interference of some sort b/c the remote worked as long as the cover was over the face.
Currently I have a TV table with the openings above the drawers deep enough to where the cable box can sit completely inside it; with the "lip" of the table sitting just past the face. Now I no longer need the cloth and the remote still works. It may sound confusing with the way I've described it but I can shoot you a pic if needed.
None of my other TV's have issues AND I've been through 4 boxes so it is unquestionably related to the television.

Collapse -
by jrmyhill2001 / March 26, 2012 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Still Working

My cable box is flush with the face of my media cabinet. The shelf is just not deep enough to push it in anymore. Does or did the cloth method inhibit the way the remote operated the cable box? Shoot me a pic if you can at my above screen name

Collapse -
Same problem with my LN52B750
by frotis / December 7, 2009 11:12 PM PST

I have the same problem with my LN52B750, so its not limited to the 850.

After the TV is on for 15 minutes the problem goes away.

I found the interference is so strong that it would actually causes some of my other components to turn on such as my blu-ray player. I solved that issue by putting a piece of black masking tape over the IR sensor of the bluray, the remote still works but the interface doesn't get through.

I'm am afraid to have someone come out and "attempt" to fix an issue, the the TV works great otherwise.

Collapse -
by FJT13 / November 16, 2011 12:27 PM PST

Doing a lot of research after my post of the remote working with the menu up in front it dawned on me the the difference was the lighting....and this remote issue was with all kinds of different brands of plasma's. I took my cable box, stood BEHIND my plasma and the remote worked!!!
It's the lighting some how; with the menu up the screen was darker and the remote worked. So now going to find a way to place the box just behind the tv!!

Collapse -
Read "Still Working" Thread
by FJT13 / March 26, 2012 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: I GOT IT I GOT IT!!!

Obviously this was working b/c it was blocking the IR....please see the "Still Working" thread above to see what has helped me with this issue; and it was neither Samsung nor my cable company...however the cable company did try harder.

Collapse -
by jrmyhill2001 / March 28, 2012 10:13 AM PDT

I stopped at the auto store today and bought window tint. After sticking the plastic tint over the front of my cablebox the remote works flawlessly with it. With the plastic tinting trimmed neatly I can't even tell the difference aestetically.

Collapse -
RE: Fixed
by FJT13 / March 28, 2012 11:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Fixed!

That was a great idea!! I hadn't thought of it!

Collapse -
Same problem with JVC Black Crystal 3000 Series LCD
by RedLaur / December 28, 2011 1:43 PM PST

I had the same problem using a Motorola receiver and UVerse remote. I lowered the backlight setting on the TV and it's much improved. From searching around the web, it seems to be an IR issue.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.