Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

IPv6, at an ISP near you?

by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 27, 2011 8:01 PM PST

I reported in my post in the link; IP address allocation running out that IPv4 address allocation is now near the end of the line.

IPv4 is the system used by the internet to allocate web site addresses. For example, Google.com has been allocated the IPv4 IP address http://66.102.7.99/

It is now reported that within the few weeks the world will have used up the supply of Internet addresses that computers need to communicate over the Net under the old IPv4 allocation system. Blocks of these numbers are allocated to corporate Web sites, Internet service providers, (ISPs), or other eventual owners.

IPv4 allowed for around 4.3 billion possible combinations of IP address numbers and in the early days of the internet no-one really considered that this would be insufficient. However it was realised some years ago that the allocation of IPv4 numbers had a limited life-span and that eventually, sooner rather than later, all the available IP numbers would be used. The graph of Available IPv4 blocks shows the decline in IPv4 availability.

So IPv6 was devised and developed. IPv6 allows for 3.402 x 10^38, (340 billion billion billion billion... etc), new numbers to be available. The full figure can be found displayed in all it's glory at Wolfram Alpha.

These IPv6 allocations are now available and the internet is capable of using them. But ISP's, and other content providers need to gear up for the change.

Is your ISP ready?

More about this here; http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20029721-264.html#ixzz1CKTYujOq.

Mark

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IPv6, at an ISP near you?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IPv6, at an ISP near you?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm ready . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 27, 2011 10:08 PM PST

My cable modem, D-link DCM-202, was top of the line a few years ago. But according to D-link it was not IPv6 ready. Nor was it DOCSIS 3 ready. So I bought a Cisco DPC3000. IPv6 and DOCSIS 3 ready. Called my cable company to register it, Time Warner, and after finally finding a tech who knew how to configure it, it works perfectly. In fact, here is a screen shot of my first speed test. This is actual, not photo-shopped, with the tech on the phone. All he said was, "Neat!".

http://www.wayne2.net/speed.jpg

Collapse -
Nice!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 28, 2011 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: I'm ready . . .

Very nice.

Apparently I am not ready. My ISP is still 'looking into it' according to their forums, although I have no reason to doubt their plans are well advanced. Well, I hope so.

Also I fear my router isn't IPv6 compatible. Netgear wireless N WNR2000. As far as I can see, IPv6 support is "Unknown", so that sounds like a No to me. I reckon I will need to wait to see what my ISP tells it's customers in the future.

Mark

Collapse -
The way I understand it . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 28, 2011 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: Nice!

and I may be wrong, I haven't reasearched it, the router doesn't care, but the modem does. I'm going to look into my D-link DIR-655 router.

BTW, my modem is Gigabit output to match my router which is also Gigabit, as are my wired PCs.

Collapse -
OK, this from D-link . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 30, 2011 9:39 PM PST

In their terse response:

The DIR-655 RevA does not support IPV6. All D-Link routers being launched will or already support IPv6.

Depending on your ISP's deployment road map of IPv6, they may start in phases and not force people to switch fully to IPv6 for a few years.

I guess I start looking for an IPv6 router.

Collapse -
Router
by laurenrodriguez / September 6, 2012 5:04 PM PDT

HI

Same thing I fear my router isn't IPv6 compatible..

Collapse -
Remote connection
by nat4us / September 10, 2012 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Router

You the only one online and maybe you can help. I just download the win-spy in a mac laptop and I need to have a remote access to see the activity of it on the day time, do you know how to set up the remote access so I can see the information from a different laptop?

Collapse -
Too far off topic?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2012 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Remote connection

I'd try a new post with the details. Be aware that so far, few will help with spying on folk or anything that is too close to "evil deeds."
Bob

Collapse -
The latest from CNET News.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 3, 2011 6:54 PM PST
Moving to IPv6: Now for the hard part (FAQ).

Today is the beginning of the end of the Internet as we know it.

That's because the rules that govern how data is sent across the Net, a standard called Internet Protocol version 4, just became significantly more obsolete. The central Net authorities just handed out the last batches of IPv4 addresses at a ceremony today in Florida, beginning the cascade of scarcity that eventually will mean the computing industry must make the painful transition to the newer but incompatible IPv6.

"{Of the approx 4.3 billion IP address available under IPv4}... Here's a revealing statistic about how efficiently the IPv4 address space is used, though. Heideman, who regularly surveys the entire IPv4 Internet through an exhaustive two-month census, just announced his latest findings: "Maybe 14 percent of the addresses are actually in use.".

Mark
Collapse -
by elithawilliam / March 21, 2011 8:49 PM PDT

(IPv6) is the latest version of Internet Protocol (IP), i think it is the advanced form of the IPv4 version

Collapse -
You're right.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 21, 2011 8:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply

But not just advanced. Since the IPv4 allocation of IP addresses has now run out, IPv6 is designed to allow allocations to continue.

Mark

Collapse -
LATEST -- IPv6: Come on in, the water's fine.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 14, 2011 8:10 PM PDT
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-20070972-92/ipv6-come-on-in-the-waters-fine/?tag=nl.e724

Reassured by a relatively smooth test of IPv6 last week, some Web sites are choosing to keep servers available over the next-generation Internet technology.

And that's good news for an Internet that's bursting at the seams. The results of the test, called World IPv6 Day, may help encourage others to make the IPv6 upgrades.

In the test, a number of organizations broadcast that their servers were available on IPv6. That meant anybody who had an IPv6 Internet connection would get that version of the server rather than the usual IPv4 one.

Read more in the link above.

Mark
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.