Computer Help forum

IPTV info required please

by MikeAanders / April 26, 2013 9:21 PM PDT

I live in southern Spain. We receive Sky UK TV broadcasts using a suitably sized satellite dish & Skybox receiver. In the next few months it is predicted that the satellite we use will go off air (it will be past its sell by date, they have a lifespan of around 10 years) & broadcasts be transferred to another satellite which beams predominantly to the UK & cannot be received in southern Spain. All the TV installation guys are saying the solution is IPTV, however they are ripping everybody off. They tend to use the MAG-250 receiver which you can get online for around 50 euros, they are selling for anywhere between 150 to 300 euros. And then a monthly subscription to a ISP TV supplier for 25-35 euros a month (currently we get all our TV for free). So I want to do everything myself.
1). Their adverts claim that their IPTV receivers are setup to receive UK TV channels. Is this true? (in other words do their receivers differ from the one I can buy online).
2). If so, what is the difference? Is it some software/firmware update that can be downloaded? If so from where?
3) Presumably, their "ISP TV supplier" is a web site? Which one? How can I contact them to arrange my own deal? They clearly state that you use your existing ISP (in other words you need an existing internet connection to proceed). So the term "ISP TV supplier" is clearly wrong. Using another ISP would give me a different IP address. My IP address is defined by my existing ISP. Also I'm pretty sure you can't have 2 ISPs going through the same router.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IPTV info required please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IPTV info required please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Sounds to me that you don't think they are honest,
by Oldartq / April 27, 2013 6:57 AM PDT

if that's the case then I would stay away from them. You could also take a gamble with 50 euros and buy the unit online and give it a try and see how you like it. I am here in the U.S. and I certainly don't claim to know anything about the company you talk about. Have you talk to them to see if they would give you a trial period of maybe a month to see if you like it or not? This way you would know what the differences are. I would think there might be a big difference.

I do subscribe to IPTV here in the U. S. also. I am not sure if what I am watching is free or not on the internet..and it maybe, but I have never look. One nice thing I like about my supplier is that the programs are keep on their server for 2/3 days so that you can watch it at any time you want. I also heard there are free programing with set top box you get from the internet. How good are they? don't know. I have never seen one.

Collapse -
Avoid IPTV boxes
by florentdeuron / January 12, 2014 11:54 PM PST

It is said that nothing in life comes cheap and illegal, MaaxTV units are the tangible proof of it. I am ruing the day I ordered the product. The unit was supposed to come in a box (it did) and that box was supposed to contain all the parts needed to install the set up. Here is the blooper: there were less parts than expected. The manual clearly said I need a component combo cable, but there was none in the box. I phoned the dealer who sold it to me. He told me to contact the company itself. I tried to do that, but got no response. Is this the way to treat a customer? I am never buying any of their products again.

Collapse -
just find them online
by James Denison / January 13, 2014 12:27 AM PST
Collapse -
by ricky958 / July 27, 2014 8:57 AM PDT
In reply to: just find them online

the channels on this site are rubbish, most dont work. get a mag25 you wont regret it. unless the severs all pack

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.