Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

iPoll: Why did you get your first iPod?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 23, 2008 5:38 AM PST
Why did you get your first iPod?

-- Because I was curious. (Please explain.)
-- I received it as a gift or prize. (Are you using it?)
-- Because I love Apple products.
-- Recommendations from friends or family.
-- Based on all the great reviews. (Please explain.)
-- Based on the feature set. (Which ones?)
-- Based on all the media attention or ads. (Please explain.)
-- Because I needed a portable audio device. (Why the iPod?)
-- Other (Please explain.)
-- Never owned one, never will. (Please explain.)
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPoll: Why did you get your first iPod?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPoll: Why did you get your first iPod?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why 1st Ipod
by eeyore1943 / January 23, 2008 8:11 AM PST

I bought our 1st Ipod- a 1 G shuffle for my then 13yr old, because she was walking around and riding her bike with a portable cd player stuffed in her jeans pocket! She looked ridiculous and was uncomfortable! Since then I upgraded her to a version one nano 4G for her 14th B-day, and I reloaded the shuffle for me. I love it on my walks and I groove to Barbra, Carly, Celtic Woman, the 4 seasons and a bunch of Broadway shows. What a great addition to my world!

Collapse -
Enjoy My Ipod
by Technogeek24 / January 23, 2008 9:13 PM PST
In reply to: Why 1st Ipod

Daughter wanted one for her birthday, we got her one, my wife liked it and gave me one for Christmas, Then I gave her one for Valentines day. Both Wife and Daughter are now on their 3rd upgrades. I still use the same original. We bought one for each of our three sons. Wife and 3 of our kids are school teachers. We do NOT ever use them in public. I personally have only downloaded one song. Can't find it now. I load old music from 78's, 45's, vinyl, 4 Track, 8 Track, Cassette, and CD's. I enjoy it when I am working alone for long hours.

Collapse -
My first and only Ipod
by moshelinho / January 24, 2008 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: Enjoy My Ipod

I got the Ipod Shuffle 2nd generation...didnt think much abt it or compared it with other products before buying. Becos the best feature i liked abt it was the clip design...we cud practically put it anywhere on our clothes...its most convenient. no need to use the shirt/pant pocket to carry around the ipod.

got it pretty expensive at Rs. 5700/- (abt US$ 130)in India. The zen stone was lauched after the ipod and its much cheaper now..I guess creative ppl were also impressed my the small design.

Collapse -
First iPod....
by tyltotheler92 / January 24, 2008 8:30 AM PST

Got my first iPod this Past Christmas. Owned all kinds of cheapo Generic MP3 Players before it. I LOVE THE IPOD! Its a 2nd gen nano, and I love the thing. There interface is wonderful and easy to use, there are made like tanks, and they have so much support from 3rd party items. Bought it for 90 bucks of Newegg. Absolutely love it. I am COMPLETELY against iTunes DRM though.(I own a Mac, but am agenst half of Apples doings...thats really weird...) Will NOT buy anything from the iTunes store, but I have 900 songs anyways...so who cares...(And all are legal, unlike so many people I know....)

Collapse -
mp3 player not ipod
by madandbadster / January 31, 2008 12:45 AM PST

i didnt get an ipod because of the fact that thats what everyone uses snd there are much better devices available like my sansa e260,
it also annoys me the way people call all mp3 players ipods. i mean thats like calling all cars Renaults

Collapse -
You're right
by Qwerty Cake / January 31, 2008 7:00 AM PST
In reply to: mp3 player not ipod

"...it also annoys me the way people call all mp3 players ipods. i mean thats like calling all cars Renaults"

I couldn't agree more. Also, I've noticed a fair sized turnover from iPods to Zunes at my high school.

Collapse -
Why I didn't buy iPOd and never will
by syl1207 / January 23, 2008 8:12 AM PST

Don't like Apple proprietary attitude. I would rather do the other than limit myself to their compression and still not own the music.

Collapse -
No iPod
by davidgdavis43 / January 23, 2008 9:29 AM PST

I think people should be able to get away from music? instead of having it blasting them in their ears all day. Their use can assist people to act rude - how many times have you had to tap someone on the shoulder to get their attention. We forbid their use in our house, even by visitors!

Collapse -
Living in your surrounding - requires hearing it
by Mr-Opinion / January 23, 2008 12:12 PM PST
In reply to: No iPod

Absolutelly agree with you and forgot that in my post

People with those darn things (at actually started with the walkman - portable CD's and became worse) don't have a clue what happens around them, thereby act disrespectfull (even if by ignorance not intent) and endanger both themselves and others

plug it in to a home or car addaptor - cool - just remember on the volume - not everyone is 'INTO YOUR' music

Collapse -
AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!!
by Raptor168A / January 23, 2008 2:49 PM PST

The rude factor is for real. People just get so oblivious when they have those stupid things on. I do not wear any portable device when I am out and about. I only break out my XM portable when I am stationary. I plug it into my sound system at home. That's the way it should be.

Collapse -
Not rude really...
by kenhickling / January 23, 2008 8:03 PM PST
In reply to: AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!!

I have two neices who are profoundly deaf and you have to tap on their shoulders so that they can turn and see what you are saying. I don't find it offensive to me and I don't think they are rude. People who are listening to music or whatever on their earphones have made a free will choice. Perhaps it is the shock of discovering that they (ipod users) are not open to all intrusions (and in particular yours) is what you are stuggling with. Do you presume that everyone should be ready and waiting to hear what you have to say?
I use mine when travelling and generally do not expect to speak to anyone on a random basis. When I check in, order food etc I am careful to make sure my headphones are out and I can hear properly.
But I do agree that when you are in a social situation (such as in a room with family, friends or colleagues) then using an iPod is inappropriate and if you want to immerse yourself in what you are listing to, do it in a separate space.

Collapse -
(NT) Amen Brother! NT
by Jedi Cat / February 2, 2008 12:36 PM PST
In reply to: Not rude really...
Collapse -
I beg to differ ...
by Jedi Cat / January 25, 2008 10:40 AM PST
In reply to: AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!!

I use it all the time and never forget courtesy. I use it at a moderate volume level to avoid disturbing other people around me. I always use it in situations where I don't have to talk to anyone, for example, at the metro, bus or airplane. I rather listen to my music than the traffic. That doesn't make me rude, but it certainly helps to avoid random conversation with annoying people at the gym and other places, specially those who don't care about oral hygiene.

Collapse -
Not to be rude...
by Jedi Cat / February 1, 2008 7:48 AM PST
In reply to: No iPod

...but if I'm walking down the street and a total stranger wants to talk to me, maybe is because he wants to mug me. I couldn't care less if a total stranger wants to talk to me in a public place, in the street or anywhere else. I don't crank the volume to high it bothers other people and it would destroy my hearing. I don't care when people are using their earbuds and I'm not. I respect their privacy and their sovereign right to listen to whatever they want as long as they don't disturb me or are driving among traffic. That's not being rude. Old people don't understand this because they never used a device like this before.

I rather hear the music I feel like to listen at that particular time than listening to the lovely sound of other people chatting about things I absolutely don't care about, traffic noise etc.

Courtesy and manners should never be forgotten in any case, and I never use my iPod or any similar device if I'm going to visit a friend or a relative, if I'm in class or at work, but until I get to my destination I want my music going with me all the time.

Collapse -
Well said
by Qwerty Cake / February 3, 2008 7:52 PM PST
In reply to: Not to be rude...

Wow, well said. I think most MP3 player users feel this way, and just couldn't come up with the words for it.

Collapse -
Why I don't have an iPod
by lightningboy7 / January 23, 2008 9:40 AM PST

I don't have an iPod because I own a PSP that works just like a iPod. It can play music, watch movies, view picture, browse the internet, play video games, use RSS feeds all from that one device!

Collapse -
wow....
by ronniejames007 / January 23, 2008 11:28 AM PST

get an iphone bud

Collapse -
(NT) neato! My PDA does that too! (NT)
by ackmondual / January 23, 2008 1:40 PM PST
Collapse -
hear hear
by redking44 / January 23, 2008 10:16 AM PST

I also dislike being tied in a system that (from what I've heard) is happy to "sell" you the music (and any complaints about ownership - remember you never own the muisic when you buy a CD anyway) - but when there's a technical problem you lose your right to play it... pretty slick too pricey somewhat fragile ... I'm bored too go read soemthing else

Collapse -
Just like a Harley Davidson
by dsconst / January 23, 2008 11:40 AM PST

Way over rated and under performance. I would never own anything apple makes!

Collapse -
Overrated
by zarekai / January 24, 2008 8:49 AM PST

i've never owned an ipod, my younger sister(14) has had three now, 1st gen nano, 2nd gen nano, & 80g ipod video
I think they're kinda overrated and when i get something i want it to be something sexy,(not that apple doesn't have incredible designs and good taste), that nobody i know has seen before, to have something thats fairly unique
Im also not a fan of itunes and i know my sister isn't really a fan either.

I almost bought a touch but quickly decided against it when i heard about the samsung YP-P2, i like the radio, the price, bluetooth, and the firmware updates(bluewave) that add great features to the P2,
unless apple adds some of the features common on other players i don't think i'll be jumping on the ipod bandwagon any time soon.

Collapse -
Apple Bah-Humbug
by kraftlos / January 24, 2008 4:35 PM PST

I found it interesting that as of this posting, the non-ipod users make up 48%. I think portable music players are useful, but I have a smart phone and can call, surf the internet, check email, watch videos, instant message, was well as listen to music (with bluetooth headphones... no wires!). Why carry around 2-3 devices when one will do?

I also much prefer Windows Media Player to ITUNES, I can't stand that clunky thing. I would also hate to be forced to use one format to sync my music player. I haven't really liked anything Apple has put out, it IS overrated.

I'm rather turned off to the whole online music store thing as well... its so much easier to have an actual cd or music file and not be required to go through DRM when you need to move it around.

Collapse -
not afford
by syahrules / January 23, 2008 12:41 PM PST

Actually, I are the one of a thousand people who do not afford to buy it...hopelly CNET will give it as a prize to it members...

Collapse -
Won't own one? C'mon.
by PDBudd / January 23, 2008 7:58 PM PST

I was surprised to read that 48% of c/net responders say they won't own an iPod like the comment here.
This kind of thinking, for whatever reason, including hating Apple as a proprietor, seems like a lot of older people I've known who will not get a computer.
get on the technology wagon and enjoy yourself, I say.
I am an older person, 64 this month, and bought my first and only iPod nano last year so I could have portable stories and music and because I was feeling left behind culturally.
Yes, I think owning an MP3 or an iPod is a cultural issue.
At first I felt as challenged by this slim black technical miracle as I did by my first Mac. I think it was designed for 8-year-old size fingers. But it is now such a comfortable part of my life.

Collapse -
Here's my reason.
by rfegeas / January 24, 2008 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: Won't own one? C'mon.

I too am somewhat of an "older person" (60), but I've had mp3 players for a number years--at least since early 2001. I enjoyed my first, a Creative Labs Nomad II with 64MB smart media cards, for more than five years until finally replacing it with a 5GB Creative Labs Zen Micro in 2005. Now I have a Toshiba 60GB Gigabeat-S with all my music and a number of videos including a full length movies. It's great (except for depending on Windows). I hate dealing with DRM or proprietary stuff, so I do not deal iTunes and try to avoid Apple's closed world. That doesn't mean I don't like Apple and think their stuff is way cool (I'm really envious of iPhone users and might even check out a Macbook Air), and I even recommend Apple stuff, including iPods, to my friends--they just work, right? But for me personally, I'd rather be more independent.

Collapse -
So, don't buy music....
by tyltotheler92 / January 24, 2008 8:34 AM PST

So, I don't either. I just won't buy music from the iTunes store, or download anything free. I don't like the DRM Apple uses, and all the limits I get. Just buy the CDs! I Own an iPod, and an eMac,(and an old iMac G3) and love them all. Apple products rule, just sometimes there thinking doesn't.

Collapse -
So, don't buy music....
by Biker Jon / January 24, 2008 6:58 PM PST

I only brought one song from Apple iTunes, and that is one I absolutely couldn't find elsewhere. It was our wedding song, so call me a romantic. HOWEVER I agree and I don't buy music much either but I LOVE AUDIO BOOKS. I have an Apple classic and I listen to novels all day. There are sooo many books I cannot read during the day while I am stuck in traffic but I can listen

Collapse -
Never had and never will have an IPOD
by rdboyer1 / January 23, 2008 8:13 AM PST

Apple and Microsoft are so full of themselves they make interfacing with other products difficult. Tying products is a monopoly strategy. Word perfect translates and saves to windows but not vice versa. Ipods have proprietary music and proprietary connections. I got a Creative Zen Vision M based on CNet reviews and see no reason to rethink my decision. I don't like to pay tribute to Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. I support the competition.

Collapse -
Received as a gift (that I specifically asked for....)
by Alan Petsche / January 23, 2008 8:13 AM PST

I received my first iPod (60GB Color) a couple of years ago in order to house my CD collection. Having only been able to load through the letter "C" before having to worry that it would be full soon, I picked and chose how to fill the remaining space.

I use it mainly on BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) back and forth to work. Also, use with JBL base unit on bed stand at night.

In order to expand storage (and use video and games (Holdem)), upgraded to iPod 160GB Classic this Christmas (another specific gift request).

Am now using both iTunes and Amazon for digital purchases.

Collapse -
Also received mine as a gift
by MusicOrganizer / January 24, 2008 2:31 AM PST

It is seriously the best present. I felt a little guilty just spending a bunch of money on myself...but I really wanted one. It helps my workouts so much to download a great album and get to it. My favorite right now to run to is the new Moby cd. It has such a good beat that it makes the workout go so much faster.

Also for any misspellings you can use FixTunes to correct the song tags and album art. It's just more fun when all the albums show up so that you can scan through them and they can look great. FixTunes also takes care of the fixing process for you so that you can upload your music and albums and have FixTunes take care of assigning tags and art.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.