Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

IPODs Fail After Just Over 1 Year?

by davidefulton / July 30, 2006 10:47 PM PDT

Like many people, we bought Ipods (Generation 4)for our older children. Now after just over 1 year of use, both of them are dead. One doesn't play at all and the other one doesn't allow you to select a song using the thumbwheel to play.
An informal survey of the friends of our children revealed that of 19 Ipods, only 2 Ipods that were purchased during the last school year are still working -- but these devices were purchased for Christmas or for a February birthday.
Most of the devices were Generation 4, although a few were Nanos.
Has anyone else experienced something similar?

And if so, did you purchase another Ipod (since the warranty has expired) or another MP3 device, or did you just decide to "do without"?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IPODs Fail After Just Over 1 Year?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IPODs Fail After Just Over 1 Year?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yep, mine failed too
by bboyspinhead / July 30, 2006 11:18 PM PDT

I had mine for exactly 13 months when the hard drive decided to stop working one day at work. Since then, I've been without as I don't have $300 to invest in a new one. Apple said it would cost me almost $270 to replace it. I am definitely going to look at other mp3 players on the market.

Collapse -
Mine did too.
by TTRMopar78 / July 30, 2006 11:29 PM PDT

Mine did as well. I called Apple up, and it was so expensive to replace. Rather than doing that, I went to Creative, and bought one of there MP3 players. I haven't had a problem with it yet. Works perfectly. And I can use it as a removable hard disk (portable hard drive) to store all my important stuff, or just to transfer files.

I don't need 30 gigs of music, so I only have the 8 GB MicroPhoto, but it's a heck of a lot better than my old Nano, which was only 4 gigs. Only cost me $199. I think they're cheaper now.

Collapse -
Or you extend the warranties.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2006 11:42 PM PDT

I also find some iPods to last 4 feet (they stop working when they hit the ground.) My nephew's iPod is over a year but it was never dropped or mistreated in any way.

Bob

Collapse -
iPod problems and repair
by milestones4u / July 31, 2006 12:03 AM PDT

I have had a total of three iPods (still have two) and have never had any problems other than a battery replacement, which is expected eventually.

I think many of the problems that people experience with iPods is from mishandling or lack of proper protection. I have always housed my pods in a silicone gel case with screen protector. The gel case provides a little more shock absorption should you drop it. The pods are essentially portable hard drives and hard drives are not indestructible. That being said, like any other HD they do sometimes corrupt and fail without cause or reason such as being dropped. I think that Apples 1 year warranty is pretty generous for such problems.

If your warranty is expired, there are several options to repair your pod. You can buy the necessary parts and replace them yourself for relatively cheap or you can pay someone else to do it for you. Or you can sell your broken iPod and put the money toward a new one.

Portatronics.com is an iPod repair place based out of New York City. They are quick and reliable and have a 1 year warranty on all of their new HD's. They are somewhat expensive for parts, but are reliable. I have worked with them several times in acquiring parts to restore broken iPods that I bought for very cheap.

Collapse -
ipods are built to last 4 years
by Akimo / July 31, 2006 12:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
Misquote
by fondy / August 4, 2006 11:10 PM PDT

Actually that was a misquote. Engadget, Gizmodo, etc., ran a follow-up to this story that said the spokesperson was misquoted when she said the iPod was designed to last "for years" not "four years". Amazing how much difference one little letter can make.

Collapse -
Technology
by Trifection / July 31, 2006 12:51 AM PDT

The wheel and the little pushbuttons on the shuffle stink. I must have had 4 different shuffles and each time the process is the same...

1. The little light stops working
2. The manuvering with the stop/play device fails
3. Fails to charge
4. Dies

Sad really.

W

Collapse -
3 of 3 have failed.
by gharr5 / August 11, 2006 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Technology

We purchased 3 IPod mini, 2 have been into Apple .com for exchange, All three are tempermental. Looks like they were a big mistake. Apple must be laughing in the money counting room.

Collapse -
three repairs within a year on two ipods all hdu failure
by mhurley142 / July 31, 2006 1:25 AM PDT

clicking whirring and an unhappy ipod icon. I purchased 2 20GB ipods for Christmas presents the first packed up after 3 months and it took me 3 months to eventualy get HPto agree for me to send it back from the UK (I'd purchased in the US before moving to the UK who said nothing to do with them) A brand new ipod arrive after 3 weeks. Then in August the 2nd one packed up with the same symptoms once again back to HP (they were ipod + HP from Staples) and eventually returned and replaced at my expense. By the time it arrived back in the UK it was December and after 3 days use it packed up with the same HDU fault one week out of 12 month warranty. The following week the original first exchange model quit working again with the HDU fault. Were HP or Apple interested? What do you think - No way. So two very expensive purchases worked for well under a full 12 nmonths and my money wasted. Would I recommend anyone buy and ipod NO NEVER EVER EVER BUY AN IPOD. My Motorola phone with MP3 player works more reliably and is in my view better. Do I feel ripped off YES.

Collapse -
Kill Apple
by Invalice / September 27, 2006 12:37 AM PDT

i have had one Ipod my self and most of my friends all has one. WASTED.I don't know a single Ipod which my friends owned isnt dead yet. Down with Ipod and down with their prices. Don't ever get one. Ever... unless its 10$, then ill think about it.

Collapse -
Unlucky for you
by bevillan / August 4, 2006 4:49 AM PDT

my iPod mini which is now about 3.5 years old has worked like a champ to this day. You must have gotten a bad batch of iPod.

Collapse -
Re: IPODs Fail After Just Over 1 Year?
by fondy / August 5, 2006 12:02 AM PDT

I'm just speculating here, but my guess is that the iPod is probably the most reliable MP3 player on the market. I've owned almost a dozen different brands/models and they've all had problems (mostly HDD-related).
If you visit the 3rd party discussion forums dedicated to these devices you'll see a staggering number of quality-related complaints, and these complaints are for brands/models that haven't sold anywhere near as many units as the iPod.
I just have a hard time believing the iPod would continue to have so much success with the Best Buy's and Circuit City's of the world if it were as problematic as some of the other players out there.

Collapse -
Hmm....
by orangedaisy / August 5, 2006 5:47 AM PDT

I've known loads of people with iPods which have failed just after the warrenty runs out, usually battery related. It all depends on how much you listen to it and how roughly you treat it. In my opinion, you're lucky if your iPod breaks after about 11 months and you get a replacement.

Also, the complaints in the 3rd party models cover a wide range of mp3 players although, ipods have a much greater market share than all of those players combined.

Your safest bet is probably a flash mp3 player with a replacable battery such as the zen nano plus.

Collapse -
I've lost to 2 in the last year
by Saji_Kensuke / August 9, 2006 4:30 AM PDT

I purchased a 4th gen iPod 40GB that failed a few weeks after I purchased it. Apple replaced it, but the new one completely died (won't turn on at all) after about 1 year of use. I bought a 5th-gen 30gb video for my wife, but I added the extended warranty so that I didn't get burned again. As with another reviewer, Apple quoted $270 for repair.

Collapse -
ipod/video
by jeepster / August 10, 2006 11:20 PM PDT

I just won a 30GB ipod/video on the net. First hing I did was purchase a leather case and wall charger. Hope it lasts. It's a great machine.

Collapse -
iSkin
by jennesy / August 11, 2006 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: ipod/video

You should get the evo iSkin case - you can literally drop your iPod on concrete and it won't get damaged. I've used a few different cases and the iSkin offers the best protection by far.

Collapse -
Leather cases
by pc4me / August 11, 2006 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: ipod/video

Stay away from all leather cases! What most people forget is that leather is a skin. It breathes and traps moisture. Years ago I had a cell phone die on me due to moisture trapping and condensation on the phone's charging circuits. (A tell tale sign is the green corrosion.) Buy a plastic case instead or other alternate materials other than leather for any electronics you own.

Collapse -
Mine failed too.
by Msorensen / August 11, 2006 12:01 AM PDT

Mine failed about 2 weeks under a year. Apple quoted me the $270 for replacement. Fortunately, I bought the extended replacement guarantee from Best Buy and they replaced it for me. It just started clicking and giving me the sad icons. I could get it restored, but then it would start the same symptoms again the next week. My brother's ipod just started doing the same thing to him. He's had his for about 2 years.
My new ipod video replacement has been working great, but so did my original ipod for 11 months.
My advice is to get the extended replacement warranty.

Collapse -
?? if it failed within a year.....
by ackmondual / August 11, 2006 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Mine failed too.

they shouldn't Apple have covered free battery replacement under standard warranty?

Collapse -
Re: IPODs Fail After Just Over 1 Year?
by scc4fun / August 11, 2006 12:34 AM PDT

Yep, I bought an iPod July of last year. It was an iPod Photo (before they changed to iPod with Color Display and lowered the price). Right around the year mark the hard drive stopped working. This had actually happened a few times and remedied itself after a few days to a week. So, of course, this time I figured it would remedy itself within a few days. Well, after a few days I went to Apple's iPod support site where I finally found how/where to request support for my iPod. I entered in the information and was immediately notified that my iPod was now out of warranty.
For now I have not replaced it with anything and am simply going without.

Collapse -
knock on wood...
by jennesy / August 11, 2006 1:08 AM PDT

I've had no problems with my 3rd Gen iPod that I bought in December 04. I know someone who has had a 2nd Gen (the one with 4 buttons across the top) iPod since summer 04 and hasn't had any problems. My partner's 3G iPod died, iTunes wouldn't recognize it, she couldn't access any of the songs/files on it, etc. She broke down and bought a new one in December and it works fine.

Collapse -
RE: Knock on wood
by jennesy / August 11, 2006 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: knock on wood...

make that 4th Gen, not 3rd

Collapse -
Go to ipodpartsonline.com
by pritrw / August 11, 2006 1:55 AM PDT

My 20G 4th gen iPod just crapped out on me after 18 months of ownership. I'm pretty sure it's the hard drive because of the clicking sounds it makes. I've used my iPod almost every single day, I love it, so I definitely plan on fixing it or getting a new one.

I came across ipodpartsonline.com who specializes in iPod repair. They do FREE diagnostics and they do professional hard drive installation for FREE as well. The 20G hard drive runs $99. Plus you have to pay for the shipping. That's much better than shelling out $300 for a new iPod.

Collapse -
So far so good (Purchased Sept '04)
by jim09091 / August 11, 2006 5:26 AM PDT

I have a 4th gen purchased in September 2004 that still works fine and still has plenty of usable battery time left after recharge. I've also kept a cover on it and made sure not to drop it (because I have a tendency to drop everything that is electronic...)

Collapse -
have you considered getting it repaired by 3rd party?
by ackmondual / August 11, 2006 6:01 AM PDT

other than ipodpartsonline.com, there should be other sites that offer the same service and/or parts. I recall one of them offer $100 for battery and actually replacing it while it's $50 to do it yourself. Shipping might be covered in either of those prices. One thing to consider.... if you got a tech savvy friend, have him replace the battery and use part of the $50 you will save to treat him to a gift or drinks.

Collapse -
Maybe it's the Gen4
by daveworld / August 11, 2006 6:25 AM PDT

I had a Gen3 (buttons) for 3.5 years and never had a problem. The battery started to give me problems but this was just a few months ago before it died. So for so good with my Gen5 plus Nano.

Maybe it's their Gen4 that's the problem here, which if I remembered correctly was around the time they had overwhelming demand for the iPod with long backorders. They may have rushed the production of the Gen4 out the door before thoroughly testing.

Collapse -
Ipod failure yep Me too
by spk61a / August 11, 2006 8:10 AM PDT

Now one of the problem which I found was some Ipods especially 4 gen Hp Ipods had poor warranty and they sell them as refurbish. Can you believe it, Seek 3rd party repair was as much as a cheap Nano, So what do you do? don't take a chance on repair I just purchase a nano hope it works better.

Collapse -
They ARE sensitive...
by RenoDavid / August 11, 2006 8:39 AM PDT

My thinking is that anything with a hard drive can go bad at any minute. Face it, they're sensitive beasts.

That said, my 2nd generation iPod (20 GB) has worked flawlessy ever since I got it new in 2002, but I don't use it much anymore. Not since last October anyway. That sucker cost me $500 so I have no desire to pay full price for an iPod ever again. I just want more memory now and the color screens are so much better.

The last two iPods I've purchased (besides a 512Mb Shuffle I also have) have been from eBay. The first, a 40gb 4th gen model, has been flaky, so I'll probably replace its hard drive soon and give it away. The 2nd one, a 60gb 4th gen model, was flakey at first, but, after messing around with some hard drive repair utilities on my computer, started working pefectly (even after I dropped it last week. Ouch!).

And people, have no fears about replacing the battery of your iPod! Ive done it twice and it's very easy. Try it!

One other thought: People who complain about their kids'iPods breaking must be crazy. How many toys that you got when you were a kid lasted more than a year? I know mine didn't. Who knows what tortures they've been through! 'Nuff said?

Collapse -
Bought my 1st ipod (a black nano) June 6th....
by quest4748 / August 11, 2006 10:29 AM PDT

So no problems yet but now I'm extra glad that I paid the ten extra bucks for 2 year replacement plan (via Best Buy).

Collapse -
iPod
by msbae / August 11, 2006 10:53 AM PDT

Isn't one of Apple's selling points 'It just works'?

Sadly, Apple hardware isn't what people seem to think.
I used a Mac at school recently for a film project and that thing crashed on me 3 times within the first hour of use. It's a PowerMac G5 with OSX Tiger too. So much for it being better than Windows. XP never crashed on me that much.

Windows ME however...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.