Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Ipod Won't charge or connect to computer?

by davmcn / May 17, 2007 5:31 AM PDT

ok well i have connected to my pc and it won't charge the computer says that it is not reconized......I REALLY NEED HELP any help given Really Reallly Really Appreciated...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ipod Won't charge or connect to computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ipod Won't charge or connect to computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That are two different problems.
by Kees Bakker / May 17, 2007 5:40 AM PDT

To charge, it only needs power on the USB. That works even with the computer turned off, as long as all hardware (the USB-port and the iPod) are functioning. Like my optical mouse gleames red during the night with the computer off. How do you know it doesn't charge?

What software do you (want to) use to transfer your music to the iPod and what is the exact error message when you do so?

If I understand your problem well, the symptoms are compatible at least with defective hardware.

Collapse -
Ok well
by davmcn / May 17, 2007 8:13 AM PDT

ok well the ipod is connected into my Computer it my computer says " USB device Not Reconized" after that it does nothing the ipod sits there does nothing and doesn't charge and after it dies it retries to restart and that doesn't wor and it retries again and again and never works no messages on Ipod just pc and the computer is fine cause it is brand New.... so is it the ipod?

thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Time to go swapping.
by Kees Bakker / May 17, 2007 6:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok well

Try this iPod on another machine and another iPod on this machine. That way you can locate the faulty component (probably hardware, maybe software). Hope one of your friends has one.

Collapse -
i tried it in another computer that had win Xp and it said
by davmcn / May 18, 2007 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Time to go swapping.

the same message? what do i do now?

Collapse -
ipod wont stop trying to reset its self
by MRD008 / August 24, 2010 4:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok well

Did anyone ever find a solution to the problem with ipod nano that wont come on but keeps trying to restart its self but keeps cutting off??

Collapse -
something else
by davmcn / May 17, 2007 8:15 AM PDT

i do have itunes for transfering my music onto ipod but it won'twork forgot to add this in the other one.....anyways thanks for answering really really really appreciate it

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 18, 2007 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: something else

It would be an idea to get iTunes working first before chasing around wondering why the iPod is not charging.

Recently I connected an iPod shuffle to a Vista box, which recognised it. It did not charge correctly though.
Adding a working copy of iTunes to the mix solved all the problems, including charging

Collapse -
(NT) itunes works
by davmcn / May 18, 2007 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: iTunes
Collapse -
Must have misunderstood
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 20, 2007 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: itunes works

your statement.
"i do have itunes for transfering my music onto ipod but it won'twork"

I thought you were referring to itunes.

Collapse -
that is ok
by davmcn / May 21, 2007 8:24 AM PDT

i found out it my battery on my ipod that is failing taking it in to a apple shop to make them fix it thanks for the help anyways really appreciate it!

Collapse -
im having problems
by kadiebear / July 2, 2011 1:59 PM PDT

my ipod 4g is not charging when it is either plugged in to my lap top or on an ihome or any adaptor. i shut off my ipod several times and is still having problems, please help.

Collapse -
More problems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2011 2:03 PM PDT
In reply to: im having problems
Collapse -
by TechnoMan475392 / May 19, 2007 4:32 AM PDT

This has happened to me before. What you need to do is download the latest version of iTunes.

Collapse -
i did
by davmcn / May 20, 2007 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Relation

it didn'twork so i think it might be the batter that is died so i am gonna go get a new one thanks for the suggestions!

Collapse -
iPod won't charge
by a7878 / December 17, 2008 12:47 AM PST
In reply to: i did

Some iPods only charge when they are correctly booted up to the menu screen, so if your iPod doesn't boot properly that may be the reason why it is not charging, independently of the battery. Please describe what you see on the screen when it is connected and what iPod model you have. If it's the battery you can replace it yourself, there are (http://www.portatronics.com/guide) online that show you how to do it.

Collapse -
update your bios!!
by cardinal852 / December 30, 2008 10:52 PM PST

I had this issue for 2 years with both ipods and mp3 players on my windows pc. Sometimes my pc would recognize them, but most times not. We updated the USB drivers, updated windows, tried different USB ports, updated software, restored/reset the players, talked to tech support for windows, dell, and apple, etc. etc. I gave up until we got both an mp3 player and ipod for Christmas this year and called Dell once again. The answer that worked for us: UPDATE THE BIOS. The way I understand it, the BIOS is responsible for recognizing attached hardward. What I don't get is...given the multitude of posts on the web about this problem, why is this answer not mentioned anywhere, including Apple?? Anyway, hope it helps.

Collapse -
MP3 Players Ipods and new Sans Fuze 8 gb player won't charg
by lovespirit / September 12, 2010 3:38 PM PDT
In reply to: update your bios!!

I am having the same problems described. I have gone through 2 used Ipods and took them to Apple. They got them to power on and recommended charging them via the wall jack. I couldn't afford an apple charger for 30.00 So I bought a new Sansdisk Sans Fuze 8 Gb player. It charged and transferred files from Media player once, but won't recharge the battery. So I keep having to buy new ones or get refunds. Any thoughts please? I am using a Dell tower. I am wondering if that's it. My laptop is a sony. I am using the newest Itunes. and other software for the Sansdisk.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.