Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Ipod vs. Creative

by LupineAngelus99 / November 27, 2006 8:16 AM PST

I've been the proud owner of a Creative Touch for the past almost two years. Recently my player has developed a headphone jack problem where I can only hear out of the right hand side. I'm sure I could take it to Best buy and get it fixed but I'm looking at getting a new one. Only I can't decide if I want to upgrade to the Zen Vision M or just give in and get an ipod. While it seems that the Vision has way more going for it then the Ipod everywhere I look I see accessories geared towards the Ipod.

So to finally get to my question. Which would you get? What are some of the major cons to the ipod?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ipod vs. Creative
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ipod vs. Creative
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm looking at exactly the same players and...
by filllx / November 27, 2006 9:13 AM PST
In reply to: Ipod vs. Creative
I'd get the ipod [if you were talking about the 5g, video ipod]
I looked at both of these products and I think Im going to buy the ipod, because of itunes. On itunes you can buy any show you cant think of! When i was looking into buying one I considered this:
Video support
Photo Support
Potential for video content.

For the ZEN vision: M, I just don't see where you could get video's for it! If you know where you could get video's for th ZVM, please tell me.
I also picked the ipod, because, as you said, there are SO many acesories for it!
[although I heard the Radio thing sucks]
And the ipod has so much more VIDEO content, which I, personaly, was looking for.

But If i could change the ipod, I'd want it to be liek this:
Have the click wheel
same storage capicity
The ZVM's creen [more colors]
A radio
Recorder [both voice and video\audio]

That would be an awesome player!
Hopefuly the 6th generation ipod will be like the one I described.

Hope that helped!
Collapse -
I'm not worried about video
by LupineAngelus99 / November 27, 2006 9:47 AM PST

One of the main things I see is the price diffrence which on Amazon.com has The Zen for $199.99 and the iPod $239.99 for the 30GB model

<QUOTE>I'd get the ipod [if you were talking about the 5g, video ipod]
I looked at both of these products and I think Im going to buy the ipod, because of itunes. On itunes you can buy any show you cant think of!</QUOTE>

I don't have to worry about that since I get my shows for free (Don't ask, don't tell) and the Zen supports many diffrent video formats (AVI, DivX 4 and 53, XviD4, MPEG-1, -2, -SP, WMV9) whereas the iPod is more limited and it seems to mainly support video bought on iTunes (Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong people). So chances are almost any video I get will play on the Zen.

My question goes more towards the quality and longevity of the iPod. It sucks that it seems to use prepriotary software (limited play of audio and video formats that aren't available from iTunes. Again, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) and every year a new and better iPod comes along.

Collapse -
Creative has the better Player
by mojorhino / December 4, 2006 3:03 PM PST

I bought my wife an iPod for Christmas last year and bought mself a creative and the Creative is far a better player than the iPod, unless you want accessories which is about all that the iPod has going for it vs the creative M, however you can order accessories on creatives website.

I will list 1 main reason why the creative is better than the iPod but can list numerous reasons if you want more.

My hard drive crashed on and we lost all the songs that were on my computer. With the creative it was no big deal I just hooked the creaive back up to my computer and clicked sync and very easily put all the songs that were on my player back on my computer, all 4,900 plus of them!

With the ipod you have to use their the proprietary software "iTunes" which does not allow you to transfer songs that we paid good money for back on your computer. We spent about $55 dollars on songs from iTunes and cant get it back off the player onto the computer. I sent an email to iTunes and they basically replied too bad so sad and that I was SOL. What a waste of money - dont buy iTunes cards and get the Creative.

Collapse -
by filllx / December 5, 2006 4:33 AM PST

Well, I'm still thinking of either getting The Zen or the ipod, I keep going back and forth on which one to buy. I think the ipod has way more video content, but it cost $2 a show!
The zen, I have no clue where to get videos! [although i have like five sights that let me watch shows for free, how do i download those onto my ZEN?]...

Collapse -
by Mathemusician / December 5, 2006 10:42 AM PST
In reply to: Well...

You can get video from Amazon Unbox

Collapse -
I would strongly recommend the Zen Vision M
by g_harikrishnan / December 5, 2006 12:55 PM PST
In reply to: Well...

Firstly let me tell you this i a proud owner of a Zen Vision M.. But i'm NOT an ipod hatter.. Lets look at them at a neutral perpective...

Now let me make one thing clear, I'm a have a Black ZVM (I'm a guy).. The ZVM is definitely bulkier than the ipod.. But i like the way it looks.. It is appealing and elegant.. Also since you could find an ipod in almost everybody's hands, when i carry a ZVM i grab more attention. The ipod is definitely sexy, but wait till you switch it on.. You will definitely fall in love when you turn on the Zen vision M.. The screen is superb.. Literally the ipod looked like a 1996 JVC TV in front of the High definition screen of the ZVM.. Most of my friends (who have an ipod video) look with envy eyes at my ZVM. They definitely agree that the screen clarity and detail is way superior.
Then comes video.. Well till now you would have got a picture of which would play better videos.. The ZVM's video quality was awesome. The video flow was more smoother than the ipod.. I suggest you go to Bestbuy or Circuit city and compare the quality of both of these before believing me..
The music playback in both sound the same. Well both have the same digital music output so i purely depends on the headphones that you use.. The ZVM has gapless playback and i'm not too sure about the ipod.. When it come to compatibility, the ZVM is the race leader in the category of 30GB players.. The battery life is also better in ZVM (practically 15hrs for audio and 4.5 hrs for video) in comparision to (14 hrs of audio and 3.5 hrs of video) for the ipod.. I'm saying this coz i've tested it.. FM recording is a very good option in ZVM, and lets not talk about the FM in Ipod where you need to spend an extra $40 on the accessories to listen to some radio.. Hmmm thats why the ipod has come with so many accessory option.. Now the question of getting video content online. Well I've not had a chance to try any of that coz i've got a ton of videos on my laptop and i just transfer then on my ZVM.. Come on guys is this the only reason you choose the ipod.. I suggest download videos on ur PC and then transfer it to the player.. Then enjoy clear videos on the ZVM rather than on the ipod. And if speakers are a part of the accessory list then take it from me Creative make some of the state of art speaker and they are compatible with the ZVM!!

I'm just thinking of what more should i add. I think the final question that you wanna ask yourself is "Should I go with the regular crowd and take a Thinner player or should i go with one thats gonna deliver what i want" ??

I suggest you go to a store and play with these for a while checkout both of then, and then select what fits you.. I telling writing this recommendation coz i've got many friends who have an ipod and are repenting on their decision after i showed then the ZVM that i bought.. $229 is not a small amount of money. So think twice before investing..

Good luck happy shopping!

Collapse -
which CZV
by hamblda / December 11, 2006 10:19 PM PST

Because I know so little about them and want to buy a new player for my daughter, whats the difference between the M and the plus, also is this the best audio, video, player, in the family right now we have shuffle, nano, I-pod 20 gig and video, all Apple, help whats better?

Collapse -
Thanks for your post!
by quidditchseeker / January 17, 2007 1:43 PM PST

Thanks for your post I loved it. I've owned at least three Creative labs MP3 players and loved all of them, but received an iPod as a gift and followed the herd. Sure iTunes is great and the player plays nice as far as syncing music and video is concerned, but recently my player started having problems and I took it in for service. My extened warranty is with Best Buy where the player was bought, but the player is sent to Apple for repairs. Well three send backs later still and now a broken hard drive, which happened when it was at the Apple repair factory and I'm still waiting. The original reason for repair was to replce the battery! It requires four returns to get the player junked for another one. This alone has completely turned me off of any Apple product. If the player is junked out I'm getting a 30or 60 GB ZVM! Your description really helped me make up my mind and for a while I was swayed by the new Microsoft Zune, but once again my heart belongs to Creative. Thanks again for your post!

Collapse -
Creative Problems, Really??
by schuerp / December 5, 2006 3:30 PM PST

See my post "MP3 Buyers Beware" before you make anothe Creative purchase.

Collapse -
no problems
by ubermensch1975 / December 11, 2006 7:54 PM PST

I have had my ZEN VISION M since MAY and not one freeze up or problem.

Collapse -
I've owned both, but Creative is bettter.
by quidditchseeker / December 6, 2006 11:20 AM PST

I own a 5th gen 30gb video ipod and until recently loved the ipod. Recently it began acting up, not turning off, turning on when I set it down. I bought an extended warranty from Best Buy, who assured me it would cover any problem or defect. When I took it in the Geek Squad now handles ipod issues and the tech I spoke virtually accused me of not knowing how to operate my ipod. He also stated anything but the Zune is crap. That fueled with the fact the click wheel is acting up, is drawing me back to Creative. I owned the Creative Zen Micro and Sleek Photo, but all my friends have ipods so I went with the herd, something I rarely do.
Here is my take on Creative. They make their players user friendly, they offer an FM tuner a plus in my book and a recorder. Their players work with most subscription services, meaning plays for sure and they seem to truly care about what the consumer wants in an MP3 player.
In three weeks I'll either get a repaired ipod or a gift card for another player. Either way my next player is going to be a Creative Zen vision M.
Sorry to rant, but Apple seems to be more concerned with sales than a dependable product. Sorry Ipod devotees, Apple is no longer my player of choice.

Collapse -
i have owned both
by bevillan / December 7, 2006 6:56 AM PST

I bought the Creative Zen Vision:M and returned it within a week because the interactive controls are just too clunky when compared to an iPods (both on the player and the software). iTunes trumps the Creative sync software in terms of ease-of-use and practicality.

Creative only gets props for supporting more file types, but I can live with my AAC format on the iPod.

Get the iPod.

Collapse -
Reply to all I-pod CZV Followers
by hamblda / December 8, 2006 11:19 AM PST
In reply to: i have owned both

My oldest daughters 3d I-pods ( 1st stolen, 2nd hard drive crashed last year) hard drive is froze(best Buy to fix, we updated our warranty again) so I have been looking at all you have said plus I have read about a San Disc 2, and I have studied the new more expensive PPE's from Doci and lexington,what does everyone think, she really loves her I-Pod, I was thinking of taking hers and upgrading to her to either the PPE or I-Pod Video, I have not researched the Creative at all, what about the new Zune? Any help would be great, Thanks

Collapse -
Zen Vision M
by kilen / December 8, 2006 2:40 PM PST

Hey Everyone!

I've got a Zen Vision M and love it. Yes, it's got a steep learning curve as far as navigation goes, but other than that it's got everything going for it. It's a little bit thicker than the ipod, but that's easy to get used to. My biggest reason for going with the Zen is the FM tuner - I listen to a lot of radio at work and on the go. I'll say this - I've owned a Zen Nano and a Zen Micro 5gb, and the FM reception on the Vision is much better. ipod = no FM.

My biggest gripe about all of this - why is the latest headlines all about the ipod vs the Zune? Why isn't the Vision M in the competition? From my perspective the Zen would be the winner, minus the wifi that the Zune offers. (and many other minuses)

For those that don't know, the latest firmware update for the Zen reinstalls the FM recording.

For those of you considering a purchase, think it all through before going with the other two with the biggest ad campaigns!

Collapse -
by kilen / December 8, 2006 2:49 PM PST
In reply to: Zen Vision M

Forgot to say - forget the software that comes with the Creative Zen, just use Windows Media Player and it makes it very simple. Also another shortcut to get iTunes podcasts on your Zen - create a new folder for current podcasts, then from iTunes, copy and paste the podcast into that folder, then from there, right click on the file and select "copy to Creative Zen Vision M" and that will take care of it.

Collapse -
need new audio, video, photo device
by hamblda / December 8, 2006 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: addendum

Does anyone know anything about the Porter Personal Elite, more so for pictures, but audio, video, reports are excellent, screen is 3.8"I just read a big article on these in Digital Photography?May be more money but do the features it offers make it worthwhile, anyone know?

Collapse -
I've owned both x2
by goatspeed / December 13, 2006 2:48 AM PST

I've owned 2 Creative Labs MP3 players now, and 2 Ipods. The ipods were an Ipod shuffle and an Ipod mini (in green:)) The CL players were an old old one that was 128mb..bought in like 2001 so I don't remember the model. The other is a Zen Neeon which is what I use now.

Now the old CL system ended up getting dropped in the water by my wife, hence the shuffle. I went through 2 of them, they just seemed to fail alot. I moved to the ipod mini which worked well enough, but I hated it at the same time for a number of reasons. I hated itunes mostly. It's the roach motel of mp3 software. It is very clunky software overall. I hated the aac encoding. I just want MP3's, they are standard and good if you do it right. So I convinced the wife to take my mini and I bought a Zen Neeon and I love it.

I'll never buy another Ipod because there is too much propriatary crap. The interface is very good and very bad at the same time. I'll buy a Zune soon I think, or possibly an Iriver, but never never an Ipod again.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.