Headphones & Mp3 Players

General discussion

ipod touch vs ipod classic

by h0ndit0 / April 15, 2008 10:12 AM PDT

so here's the deal:
I'm finally buying my first real mp3 player ( I had a Sony walkman from Japan... It wasn't great but it was free so I can't complain.)

I am debating between the touch and regular ipod. (although i'm open to suggestions for other quality players)
I've researched both but I would like input from real people, especially those who have owned one or both of them.

My habits:
I generally use my mp3 player as the main music source for my car (I can't stand radio anymore)
I only have about 12GB of music on my player right now, but I may add a few tunes.
I don't really plan to watch many videos or really store any on my player (Watching movies on a 3in screen is sacrilige IMO)
I do like the non-music features of the touch (wifi, etc.) but I'm wondering if they are worth the extra cost.
Also, I feel that 80GB is an incredible amount of unnecessary space.

Let me know what you think.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ipod touch vs ipod classic
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ipod touch vs ipod classic
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
strictly for value
by ktreb / April 15, 2008 2:56 PM PDT

The iPod Classic is a better value per GB, at $3 per GB. Versus $15.60 per GB for a 32GB iPod Touch (and it only gets worse for the lower capacities). All those extra GB may seem like a waste. But you can use it as an external drive for back up or transfering files. Not on the Touch, though. There aren't that many current hard drive players left in the market and usually those start at 30 GB (Archos, Microsoft Zune, Cowan, in addition to iPod).

While I do not own an iPod Classic, I do own a 5.5 gen 30GB video iPod and an 8GB iPod Touch. I use the 30GB for mostly music and the Touch for mostly video and some favorite music playlists and podcasts. I find that the Touch is very easy to operate while driving. I barely look at it and I can get to where I want to in 3 quick touches. Because of the easier interface, I tend to use it more. I don't use it at the gym or on my walks, however. I prefer something smaller. I use a 4GB 2nd gen Nano. Sometimes I use a Shuffle or one of my non-iPods. I find that these don't attract as much attention and will be easier for me to give these up if I get robbed.

I don't really use the browser that much. It's good if I need to view something in a quick pinch but if I have my computer or laptop available, I'd rather browse on one of these.

I'm mainly an iPod user, so I can't really compare other players. My non-iPods are mainly small capacity, inexpensive but name brand players that I bought because they were on sale. My latest find was a 4GB Sony NWZ-A816 for $99 (last year's model) that sounds really good. Not having to use SonicStage is a big plus. Still, it will not be my main player because I still love iTunes.

You might want to investigate and possibly download and play with iTunes before deciding on any sort of iPod. Among my most of my friends that don't have iPods, iTunes was the dealbreaker for them.

Collapse -
iTunes
by VSchwenoha / April 18, 2008 4:23 PM PDT
In reply to: strictly for value

I tried adapting to iTunes when I got my first iPod (a 2GB 2nd gen nano), but just didn't like it all that much. If you don't like the program, but still want to get an iPod, Winamp could be a program alternative for you. It will synchronize your music with just about any mp3 player/flash card, at least from my experiences. Whenever I plug in a flash device for the first time, Winamp asks me if I want to manage it in the program.

Here's the site: www.winamp.com

Best,
V

P.S. ~ I will not be tracking this thread.

Collapse -
thanks everyone...
by h0ndit0 / April 19, 2008 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: strictly for value

...for the input.
I especially like to hear that the ipod touch is easy to use while driving. This is something I was actually worried about since I use my player the most in the car and don't want to get in an accident.
I actually have used itunes and don't mind it at all. I generally don't like apple. I don't see why it's 'better' to have everything so simplified to the point that you can't get in and fix things. But I actually like that simplification when it comes to downloading music and getting it onto my mp3 player easily. Especially compared to Sony's crappy SonicStage. Perhaps the worst piece of software ever.

Collapse -
With no buttons or tactile feel I advise against the Touch
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2008 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks everyone...

The touch and driving look like a bad idea.

Collapse -
waste of space
by redking44 / April 18, 2008 12:09 PM PDT

There is no right answer. what you're going to like depends on a whole load of stuff about you i do not know. if your biggest technical problem is which ipod to buy count yourself lucky. Any ipod will be better than a cassette tape.

Just remember you pay extra for ipod
you have a better chance of an ipod getting stolen
(I understand) lose your ipod = lose your music

or you could get an MP3 player for less money with more facilities.

and now i've vented i'm going to delete without posting. Unless I hhit the wrong button by mistake

Collapse -
protecting yourself and your investment
by ktreb / April 18, 2008 12:47 PM PDT
In reply to: waste of space

Back up your music, so if your iPod or other mp3 player gets lost or stolen, you don't lose your music.

Don't flaunt your iPod or other mp3 player, lest you want to get it stolen. Replacing the tell-tale white earbuds could go a long way. And if you take it to work, don't just leave it sitting around on your desk. You don't leave you're wallet/purse out, do you?

That said, there are mp3 players that are less expensive and/or have more features. I'll name a few: Creative Zen, Archos 405/605/705, Microsoft Zune (comes in hard drive and flash versions).

Collapse -
DRM fading away
by dknapp / April 18, 2008 11:16 PM PDT
In reply to: waste of space

iTunes now sells all music without DRM. Older stuff you already have is still protected though. So, it is no longer a case of no ipod = no music. Anyway, always back up what you have paid for. That whole PC disk could go south.

Collapse -
yes, but
by ktreb / April 19, 2008 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: DRM fading away

Unfortunately, iTunes isn't entirely DRM free. I believe EMI and independents are the only ones DRM free. They are twice the bitrate of the DRM'ed stuff. You can easily make mp3 copies of them within iTunes that includes all of the tagging info. If you currently have any iTunes stuff that has been made available DRM free, you can "upgrade" those for 30 cents each.

Amazon.com, however, does have all of the major labels on board with their mp3 downloads music store. Still, not everything is available.

Collapse -
iPod replacement
by dminott / April 18, 2008 1:08 PM PDT

I don't own an iPod, but I do own a Zune 30GB.
I think you will find that the Zune is a better deal all around. Even if you don't store videos, the fact that it is more compatible with various formats, has a larger screen, is able to tune in FM broadcasts (great for news/tfc reports, etc.) and the WiFi feature is really great for automatic podcast updates. You can find an older (new) 30GB version on eBay at a very reasonable price. Although the earbuds that are included are black instead of white, they are of a higher quality than those for the iPod. Lastly, the glass screen is practically impervious to scratching, and the case is resilient enough to take a drop without any damage.

Dave

Collapse -
It depends
by Halo9X / April 19, 2008 3:36 PM PDT

It depends on how much music you can actually listen to. I have an iPod Mini, Touch and Shuffle. The mini has 4Gb and holds about 1000 songs. Even when I travel I can't listen to all of the music in the 4 to 5 hours on the road. The Touch has 8GB and holds even more if that's all I wanted it for. However, I view the Touch as my PDA which can also do music/video. So, I don't try to max out its memory as an MP3 player. The shuffle is my "personal" iPod that I carry if I go walking, etc. I keep the Mini in my car for when I travel.
While its true that the iPod Classic will hold more, it may mean more to realistically ask yourself just how many songs are you likely to listen to on any given day without repeating any. Then spend however much you feel you need to spend to accomplish that task. One thing about the Mini and Classic to keep in mind. They are using HDs which will fail in time. The Nano, Touch and shuffles use solid state memory and no moving parts. Just something to keep in mind.

Collapse -
go for the ipod touch
by medialover / April 19, 2008 4:02 PM PDT

Well, I own both and use them for different purposes. For me, I have >80GB of music + videos, so my ipod classic can't even hold it all. but there's only one playlist i really listen to.

the ipod touch is great because you can go online (and i use this feature SO much), as well as getting 3rd party apps, and it shows lyrics for songs when you play them. plus, the ipod touch is flash memory which means it is more reliable than the hard drive of the ipod classic.

for you, if you think 80GB is a waste of space, then there's really no appeal for the ipod classic for you. i would recommend the ipod touch. (just one thing, the battery life on the ipod touch is a little worse, so keep that in mind. be sure to recharge it, but a car charger would make that so easy anyways)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.