General discussion

Ipod touch as PDA

by madroy / March 14, 2010 7:31 PM PDT

I am looking for a PDA for the following uses

1) Read PDF e-books
2) Play games such as Sudoku,
3) Organise my contacts
4) Organize birthday, anniversary information

Most important - connect with bluetooth to my mobile phone for internet access.

Is it possible with the ipod touch?

Can contact information be directly entered/updated on the itouch?

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ipod touch as PDA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ipod touch as PDA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I like that model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2010 12:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Ipod touch as PDA

But be aware that by 2011 I bet you will have more choices with the flood of tablets coming out. If the touch works for this, not a bad choice.

Collapse -
Very much possible...
by John.Wilkinson / March 15, 2010 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Ipod touch as PDA

Assuming that your cell phone and provider support tethering, and that your current contacts are either in a format that can be converted for syncing to the iPod Touch or that you will manually enter them, yes, the iPod Touch would be one of hundreds of devices up to the task.

John

Collapse -
I suppose so!
by madroy / March 15, 2010 2:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Very much possible...

I did not fully understand what tethering meant in this context. However, I presently have a ipaq and I connect it to my mobile via bluetooth and use the mobile as a dial up modem. Will this be possible with the ipod touch? I have heard that the bluetooth in the touch only connects to stereo headphones?

I would like to enter my contact details into the ipod touch itself (can I do that).

What about software for birthday reminders etc.

Collapse -
A correction...
by John.Wilkinson / March 16, 2010 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: I suppose so!

I made a mistake in my previous response. The iPod Touch does not officially support Bluetooth tethering, requiring a jailbreak to enable the functionality. Since jailbreaking is risky and currently in a legal gray area (Apple forbids it; a legal ruling is pending), tethering is not really an option. My apologies for the misinformation.

That said, you can use a laptop/netbook/desktop or WindowsMobile device to create an AdHoc network and connect the iPod Touch to it via WiFi. That means it's not possible in your situation unless that cell phone runs WindowsMobile.

Aside from that, the iPod Touch does support entry of contact details and birthday reminders, with third-party applications that fill in additional functionality.

John

Collapse -
and ereading?
by qreus01 / April 21, 2010 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: A correction...

Looking for a replacement for my wife's dying Tungsten E2. She mainly uses it for the calender, appointments and to read her bible. I wonder if the Touch can be used to support her current palm bible.

Collapse -
If you mean...
by John.Wilkinson / April 22, 2010 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: and ereading?

If you mean a Palm bible application, then no, it cannot be run on the iPod Touch or iPhone. You can, though, run it in the free Palm Classic simulator available for WebOS, Palm's replacement for PalmOS that's available on the Palm pre and Palm Pixi smartphones. Note, however, that Palm's current financial state is up in the air, so future support/upgrades are uncertain.

On the other hand, if it's an eBook and not a program, you should be able to find an iPhone OS program that can open it on the iPod Touch.

John

Collapse -
thanks
by qreus01 / April 22, 2010 6:37 PM PDT
In reply to: If you mean...

Thanks John,
I appreciate the input and actually called Apple. Got my questions sorta answered and eventually found an app for bibles that will work for iPod/iPhone/iPad devices. Best part..its free.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.