Android

Question

iPod Touch Android equivalent?

by themaster291 / September 19, 2011 2:20 AM PDT

Is there a good Andriod equivalent to an iPod Touch (requirment: no phone, plays music, accesses internet) that is main-stream enough that you can find help, put iTunes music on it, etc.?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPod Touch Android equivalent?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPod Touch Android equivalent?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I get confused easily.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2011 4:15 AM PDT

I did find non-cell-phone Android devices and with DOUBLETWIST could connect up to iTunes.

It took all of one google or a trip to amazon.com to find these.
Bob

Collapse -
by themaster291 / September 19, 2011 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: I get confused easily.

I wasn't being lazy, I was looking more for personal recommendations: i. e. people who own something like this and can say whether they personally think its worth it buy the device over an itouch

Collapse -
At the office we have a few droids.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2011 8:41 AM PDT
In reply to: ..

That slider from Virgin Mobile (35 a month now), an HTC EVO 4G, a few google phones (developer models) the Viewsonic g tablet, Nook Color and a now dead duobook (they are no more.)

Doubletwist does make the iTunes a snap so with that out of the way the Samsung models look nice, but we only looked and didn't add any to the collection.

Bob

Collapse -
double twist
by bmwinitials / September 20, 2011 7:58 PM PDT
In reply to: ..

Hopefully my reply will be more helpful. Yes the double twist does work. However if you want to sync your itunes to your android using no cables you will have to pay 4.99 on the airsync app that needs to be downloaded to your mobile devise. Here is the link you need to download the program on your PC http://www.doubletwist.com/airsync/ you can have the app for free and it will do the same thing but you will have to plug your phone to your computer every time. I went with the airsync version. Works great and I have had no problems.

Collapse -
If you want it to be like a ipod touch but with android
by yprtb / September 19, 2011 6:47 PM PDT
In reply to: I get confused easily.

Go for the Lg optimus V. Or any phone from virgin mobile. Get it, then just don't activate it. They will all have wifi, so you could even send texts and make calls using apps just like you could on the touch. My advice, buy a cheap android phone prepaid from virgin mobile, or the galaxy prevail from boost. Then don't activate it and just use it, Cost free. You will be happy with the performance of the motorola triumph better then the optimus v; but It's decently fast for me. Happy Faster then my sisters last gen touch.

Collapse -
Older Phones, bad ESNs
by jaredsk74 / September 20, 2011 11:07 AM PDT

Look for the older android phones. Believe it or not, but a great or like new condition Droid X can sell for as little as $100. And they work perfectly fine as an android PMP, you don't need to get on a phone contract. Also watch for phones with a bad ESN, they can be fairly cheap and also work just fine.

Collapse -
Funny you wrote that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2011 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Older Phones, bad ESNs

Just yesterday I saw them at geeks dot com. I bet these are all over now and just 99 bucks.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Sony Android Walkman
by brlan / September 28, 2011 8:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Yes there is an Andriod Music Player!!
by adrbro13 / April 5, 2012 6:11 AM PDT

It's called the Samsung Galexy Player. It's much better than the Ipod Touch!

Collapse -
Little late to the party
by birdmantd Forum moderator / April 5, 2012 6:29 AM PDT

This thread was started back in September of last year and not posted on since 9/28/11.

Collapse -
Very late to the party. Even I have another player.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2012 6:31 AM PDT

It's the Philips GoGear which is much nicer than I thought it would be.

Let's start a new discussion as this one is outdated.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.