Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

iPod Touch 8GB (How much is the actual storage)

by spread.spectrum / November 11, 2007 5:28 PM PST

I am planning to buy iPOD touch 8GB this thanksgiving. I have about 6 GB of music that I usually listen to. Will the 8GB version be sufficient? (considering the other "goodies" and OS that come preinstalled on the touch).

Are there any significant differences in features between the 8GB and 16GB version or its just the space?

AND I heard/read - the iPod nano has better audio quality than "touch". Is that true? should I consider the nano as well? Though I plan to frequently use the wi-fi feature on touch.

Waiting for some suggestions.

Thanks !!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPod Touch 8GB (How much is the actual storage)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPod Touch 8GB (How much is the actual storage)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Considering that they're both iPods, the sound quality
by BeatleMegaFan / November 11, 2007 9:22 PM PST

should be the same. 8GB is sufficient, as I've seen screenshots that show a little over 7GB of storage.

Unless you like the super small size of the Nano (how can you watch stuff on it?!), you don't need to consider it if you're going for a Touch. The 8GB and 16GB are pretty much the same. Storage is the only thing affecting which on to buy.

Are you planning to use it just for music and Wi-Fi or do you plan to put videos/other stuff on it too? If so, the Touch will definitely have too little space for you. Your 6GB is kind of close. Me, I got the 16GB and put just about 4GB of my over 5GB music collection on it along with some music videos and movies. If you are a movie person, 8GB would be too small. 16GB is too small as well, so you'd probably want a larger PVP like an Archos or something like a Classic.
That's my thoughts anyway.

Collapse -
bad audio
by Tainger / November 11, 2007 10:32 PM PST

both the touch and the nano have the same audio quality which is crap. and i suggest getting more storage space for videos or what not

Collapse -
7.3 GB available
by ktreb / November 12, 2007 2:53 AM PST

That's what my 8GB iPod Touch says. I have another iPod, so I mainly use the Touch for videos. If you're looking for something that can hold everything, you may want to consider the 16GB or something else so you have room as your collection grows. As for sound quality, I think it sounds great (way better than my first player, a Rio), but I'm not an audiophile and I don't use the included earbuds.

If you want something with more capacity for less money, you may want to consider a hard drive based player. Either the Classic or if you want something with a bigger screen, the Archos 605 Wifi. The Archos 605 Wifi also has a touch interface and someone mentioned on this forum that you can get the 30GB version for $240, but I'm not sure where. I believe you'll need to purchase the plug-in for the Opera browser to surf the web on it, though. Even with that, it's still a pretty good deal.

Collapse -
thanks everyone , a few more details on my usage pattern
by spread.spectrum / November 12, 2007 3:33 AM PST

alright..i may not have mentioned all the relevant details.

- I do not plan to watch movies on my device. so I may not need a bigger player
- Although, I will have few videos on it
- Flash based player is what I need since I can take it along when I run.
- I will use wi-fi while in the university.
- nano will be too small for watching videos (which i plan to do occasionally).

I am planning to get creative earphones. I hope there is some further improvement in the audio quality AND they fit into the ipod touch jack?

Collapse -
headphone jack
by ktreb / November 12, 2007 9:08 AM PST

The headphone jack on the Touch is not recessed like the iPhone so most earphones will work. However, I do prefer running (although I don't really run anymore) and working out with a Nano. If you want to run with a Touch, I suggest you get an armband rather than sticking it in your shorts/pants pocket. It's light but not light enough. I just tried out Griffin's and Belkin's armbands and I didn't like them. I'm hoping to get my hands on something from Marware.

Collapse -
by arch man / November 12, 2007 11:05 AM PST

I think the 8gb touch is not the best investment. I thought it through a LOT before finally getting the 16gb, and I feel that it has been the right decision. This thing is amazing. You will ne happy with the 16 and you'll want more out of the 8. That "more" is $100... Not too much more than $300 IMO. Its just a really fun device.

Collapse -
New iPod Touch questions
by clydach36 / May 31, 2009 11:17 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

Please can someone help me? -- I have just purchased a iPod Touch 16GB and I am totally thrilled with it. Have loaded it with amazing stuff and I am ready for upcoming trip to Europe. BUT and this is what I cannot understand --- our computer hard drive is all used up practically now. This is probably such a stupid question but I am 72 and struggling to keep up!!! Can I delete from iTunes all my symphonies, movies etc. once they are on the iPod. Still not truly understanding the syncing thing although I have it set to do it manually. Have backed up to CDs purchased stuff from iTunes. Is this enough or does the stuff that is on your iPod Touch have to be on your computer? Would so appreciate some help in understanding all of this. I had a Rio years ago and this is a huge step forward for me!

Collapse -
it doesn't need to be but...
by ktreb / May 31, 2009 12:49 PM PDT

As long as you're manually syncing, it doesn't really need to. However, you really ought to back up EVERYTHING in your library to an external hard drive (I actually back up to several external hds, along with some DVDs). That way if your computer craps out, not only will you have your purchased stuff but you'll have everything that you took the time to rip from CD. As for me, it took me months of ripping CDs when I had the time and not everything has been ripped (500 cds down, 500 to go). I wouldn't want to lose all that work with a hard drive crash.

Another thought...you can move your iTunes library to an external drive. I'm including a link to Donald Bell's (CNET Editor and MP3 Insider Podcast host) "How to move an iTunes library to an external drive" tutorial. And you probably should do it this way, just in case you need to do a restore.

Collapse -
iTunes taking over my computer!
by clydach36 / June 1, 2009 11:17 AM PDT

Oh thank you so much for the Donald Bell tutorial. This sounds the route I should go. Is there any way of transferring iTunes to my D:drive? There seems to be lots of space there. If I delete all my music and movies from iTunes and don't sync between now and going away I assume my iPod Touch stuff will be OK, but am I right in thinking that when I sync when I get home all of the music and movies will be gone? I do have back up on CD's as instructed by iTunes.
Seems to me the choice is moving my iTunes library to an external drive as you kindly suggested. What about the D: drive though? Any chance of this working to save me some $$$?

Collapse -
yes you can use the D drive
by ktreb / June 1, 2009 12:32 PM PDT

And a little bit simpler (maybe):

Open iTunes, then go to the Edit menu, then preferences. Go to the advanced tab. You'll see where iTunes has your library. Instead of the current drive just browse to where you want it on the D drive. You may want to make a "music" folder. I usually keep the two things below this box checked.

Then after you do that, you'll want to consolidate your library, which will copy everything to the new place. Go to the File Menu, then Library. Then choose library. Follow the prompts (I think you'll be saying yes) then iTunes will copy everything to the D Drive. If this sounds familiar, I believe this is actually part of Donald Bell's tutorial on moving to external drive. Instead of moving to an external drive, you're moving to another drive on your computer.

After this is done, then you can delete the music and video library from your C drive. You don't need to delete anything within iTunes, just delete from the C drive (or whichever drive your currently using). Just be careful about what you delete. Don't just delete the entire iTunes folder. You can delete the iTunes music folder (which will have your music and videos) but do not delete any of the database files, the album artwork, the mobile applications files, and the .temp files. That's all the information that iTunes uses to tell iTunes where your music is and keeps album artwork and mobile applications if you have any.

This way, you can still sync your library to your iPod Touch if/when you choose to. As long as you're not removing anything FROM iTunes, then you won't lose anything when you sync again. And you're not...just putting your library in a different place and telling iTunes that's what you're doing.

At some point you might want to invest in an external drive. The small portable ones are getting less expensive. I just bought a 320 GB one for $80. And for that amount, you can get a not so portable one but with more storage. I have several. One I use for back ups of my data and music and the other I use for store backups of my DVDs...they take up a lot of space on my computer and I just copy them onto my computer when I want to watch them on my iPod.

Collapse -
External hard drive information and D drive instructions.
by clydach36 / June 1, 2009 12:48 PM PDT

Thank you so much ktreb. This information has really helped me and may well save my marriage as he needs computer time and space too!!! I will definitely get an external drive when I return. I didn't even know such a thing existed so you have really helped us out big time. Also I am elated I found this forum. I have learnt loads of stuff.
Many thanks.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.