iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

iPod Touch 4th gen - refuses to restore

by grimgraphix / December 15, 2012 4:40 PM PST

First problem occurred - 12-14-12
Tried syncing and updating apps on iPod Touch... I got this message...

Some of the apps in your iTunes library were not installed on the ipod touch because one or more errors occurred.

The dialogue window reported 7 total warnings. Each said...

The app "(app name)" was not installed on the iPod "touch" because an unknown error occurred (0xE800002D)

I deleted the apps from the iPod and synced the iPod without problem as one forum suggested.

More problems occurred - 12-15-12

I tried syncing the ipod again.

iTunes cannot sync apps to the iPod "touch" because the apps installed on the iPod could not be determined.

I deleted the apps that failed to sync from the iPod. I then backed up the iPod. After it backed up without problem I tried to restore the iPod to factory condition. I again received the message

The iPod "touch" could not be restored. Could not send a message to the device.

A suggested possible solution is update iTunes to latest version so I did...

iTunes was updated to the new iTunes 11. When I attempt to restore iPod touch I again get the message...

I tried resetting PRAM as suggested in an apple discussion. I also removed all other USB devices before resetting PRAM. When I attempt to restore iPod touch later on, I again get the message...

more of the same problems occurred tonight - 12-16-12

I bought a new 30 pin cable as suggested in one apple discussion. When I tried restoring the iPod I got the message...

I have been searching the apple forums for several days, but they only offer bits and pieces of solutions (which I have tried). I can't find a specific fix for this issue. Has anyone experienced this before? What did you do when you can't initialize/restore an iPod??? Is the answer to manually put the iPod in recovery mode and then restore? (this is something I have yet to try)

Could this be a hardware issue? (this is a gently treated, 1 year old device, but it is used everyday)

I'm running 10.6.8 on a mid 2010 macbook pro with 4 gigs of RAM. I plan on upgrading the OS soon, but first want to get peripheral issues taken care of first.

iPod Touch is 4th gen with ios 6.1

Thanks all

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPod Touch 4th gen - refuses to restore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPod Touch 4th gen - refuses to restore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This may sound simplistic but,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 10:44 PM PST

have you tried using another, different, USB cable on this iPod?

P

Collapse -
Yes, I already mentioned that above.
by grimgraphix / December 17, 2012 7:47 AM PST

I bought a new 30 pin connector cable and tried it on the second day of my trying to get this fixed. It gave the same results as the first cable did.

I might try removing all the apps off it first (except for ones that have important stuff I don't want to lose), then back it up again and try to restore it.

I have also read about putting the iPod in recovery mode and then trying to restore. I will need to read up more on that method.

Collapse -
Looks to stump the best.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 7:53 AM PST
Collapse -
yep, I have clicked on hundreds of such posts
by grimgraphix / December 17, 2012 8:49 AM PST

What is frustrating though, is that I can't even restore it back to factory spec since iTunes can't "send a message" !!!

Maybe it's time to jail break the thing and see what the dark underground of ios has to offer? lol

Collapse -
(NT) Try it on another computer is next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 9:14 AM PST
Collapse -
Well, I made progress.... maybe.
by grimgraphix / December 17, 2012 9:48 AM PST

iTunes cycled through the restore mode, said it had successfully restored the software, then restarted the iPod, and now gives the message ...

iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes.

sigh

Collapse -
restored it a second time and it said...
by grimgraphix / December 17, 2012 10:25 AM PST

... welcome to your new iPod.

Now I'm restoring it from my most recent backup. Holding my fingers crossed!

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 8:40 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Seems to be working ok now. woot!
by grimgraphix / December 19, 2012 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: Good Job!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.