iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

ipod problem - usb device problems?

by polishing / August 15, 2011 10:39 PM PDT

I used to use my ipod nano no worries on my old computer. I bought a HP with windows 7 and downloaded itunes but it now wont be recognised in itunes. I have gone through the apple suggestions with no success. one thing i have tried to do is go through the device manager usb suggestions. there is an exclamation mark on the usb mass storage device and when i try updating it it says it is up to date. the exclamation mark is still there. what can i do then? why is it still there if it is up to date?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ipod problem - usb device problems?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ipod problem - usb device problems?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
this is a Windows problem
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 16, 2011 1:17 AM PDT

It would appear that something in your USB setup is not correct.

Does this "mass storage device" only show up when you connect your iPod or is it there all the time?

P

Collapse -
by polishing / August 16, 2011 9:29 PM PDT

Yes it only shows up when I plug in the ipod. it used to have an apple specified drive but that disappeared when I was following the apple steps to reinstall the driver. i now have the mass storage device.

When I open itunes without the ipod plugged in it says, 'the registry settings used by the itunes drivers for importing and burning cds and dvds are missing. this can happen as a result of installing other cd burning software. please reinstall itunes.'

When i plug in the ipod it says: 'an ipod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. please disconnect and reconnect the ipod then try again.' Then it says to reinstall itunes if it happens again.

under this mass storage device properties general tab it states: 'Windows is uninstalling this device. (Code 21)'

Thanks for your help. I have spent ten months coming back to this problem trying to fix it with no success.

Collapse -
by polishing / August 16, 2011 9:35 PM PDT

it shows up only when the ipod is connected.

when i open itunes without the ipod connected a box comes up with: 'The registry setting used by the itunes drivers for importing and burning cds and dvds are missing. this can happen as a result of installing other cd burning software. please reinstall itunes.'

When i connect it is comes up as: 'An ipod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. please disconnect and reconnect the ipod then try again. if the problem persists uninstall ituens then install itunes again.'

under device manager porperties general tab for that mass storage device it has: ' Windows is uninstalling this device (Code 21).'

I have on and off tried to fix this problem for ten months with no success so all help is really appreciated.

Collapse -
Did you ever re-install iTunes?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 17, 2011 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

you may have to uninstall it and reinstall it.

Don't forget to backup your music first

P

Collapse -
by polishing / August 17, 2011 10:03 PM PDT

Yes I have tried that many times. I have tried resetting the ipod too.

Collapse -
I think
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 17, 2011 10:09 PM PDT

You should contact Apple directly (store or on the phone) to help resolve the issue.

Collapse -
by polishing / August 18, 2011 3:57 PM PDT
In reply to: I think

They say it is a Hewlett packard issue, HP says it is an apple issue. I dont think that i will be using my ipod again somehow. I will NEVER buy another apple product...no support

Collapse -
Take a look
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 18, 2011 10:52 PM PDT

at the Services on your PC.
Do you see the "Apple Mobile Device" service?
Is it running?

Either way, stop the service and then restart it.

If that does not help the situation, go here and read all of the article.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1923

This should remove all traces of iTunes from your computer. Once done, a reinstall of iTunes, a fresh download, "should" solve the problem.

Just as a matter of interest, the iPod is not in "Disk Mode" is it?
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1363

P

P

Collapse -
by polishing / August 19, 2011 10:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Take a look

thank you for your message. I again tried downloading itunes with no change. it now shows up the apple device under devices but wiith an exclamation mark and now cannot be recognised in 'my computer.' with this driver under the general tab it wrtes:

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)

When i oped itunes it writes still:

'the registry settings used by the ...driver are missing......' please see entry 2 above i wrote for the full note.

Collapse -
Now tell me that you did everything
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 19, 2011 11:53 PM PDT

mentioned in HT1363 before you downloaded iTunes again.

Collapse -
by polishing / August 20, 2011 12:30 AM PDT

Thanks P for all your help. I must admit that I do not understand what you mean by 'mentioned in HT1363 ....' I must admit that I am no computer buff!

Collapse -
I sent you a link to an Apple document,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 20, 2011 1:00 AM PDT

HT1363 which details exactly how to completely remove iTunes from your version of Windows.

Collapse -
Answer
Ipod not visible to Windows explorer
by keenantey / June 18, 2012 8:09 AM PDT

I seem to have solved the same problem of Ipod not being visible to Windows explorer:

I noticed that the Ipod was briefly visible to Explorer, until itunes (automagically) ran after the device was plugged in...

1. stop the "Apple Mobile Device" service (from "Start" type "service", click the service app that appears, find 'Apple Mobile Device' item and stop it.
2. remove the 'itunes helper' process (Ctrl Alt Del, task mgr,processes.

Your ipod should now be visible from Explorer. If it's not, try reinstalling the USB driver

good luck

Keenan

Collapse -
ipod
by MartiniPeres / June 20, 2012 4:48 PM PDT

When I open itunes without the ipod plugged in it says, 'the registry settings used by the itunes drivers for importing and burning cds and dvds are missing. this can happen as a result of installing other cd burning software. please reinstall itunes.'

Collapse -
(NT) So you reinstalled iTunes. Did the message disappear?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 4:58 PM PDT
In reply to: ipod
Collapse -
A little more detail please?
by lornieca / July 30, 2012 5:46 AM PDT

Hi Keenan,

I too have this problem. Isnt it strange that a malfunction like this can be acceptable to these companies!

Would you be a poppet and give me a clue how to follow the advice you gave above please?

Just an extra location or two would be enough for me to be able to give it a try.

Many thanks
Lornie

Collapse -
A little more detail please? - Ipod not visible to Windows
by keenantey / July 30, 2012 8:32 AM PDT

Hi Lornie

maybe these instructions (for Windows 7) are clearer:

1. Stop (temporarily) the "Apple Mobile Device" service
Left-click the windows icon (on the task bar normally found at the bottom left hand side of the screen in Windows 7), In the 'search' box type "service", then click the "services" app that appears, find 'Apple Mobile Device' item and stop it by right clicking the item and choosing "stop".
2. kill (temporary) the 'itunes helper' process. This is the app that opens itunes automatically when you plug in an Apple device. It seems to interfere with Windows explorer seeing the device.
Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del, select task manager, then select the "processes" tab. Select the "itunes helper" process, right click and select stop the task.

Note that the above 2 changes are temporary. Both services/processes restart if you reboot. The fix for me was persistent - i.e. I only had to do steps 1 and 2 once, for Windows to start recognising the USB again. But it's possible that you may need to repeat each time you reboot your PC.

3. It may also be necessary to re-install the USB device driver, using Windows device manager application.
Open "Device manager" by left-clicking the windows icon (on the task bar normally found at the bottom left hand side of the screen in Windows 7), In the 'search' box type "device", then click the "device manager" app that appears.

Alternatively "Device manager" can be opened from control panel - I think the "System" view.

In Device manager, expand the USB controller, you may see a yellow "!" for an unidentified USB device.
Right click that device, (if found) and select "update driver", and follow the steps.

hope that helps

Keenan

Collapse -
Thats great
by lornieca / July 30, 2012 5:04 PM PDT

Thank you so much Keenan, thats beautifully clear.
I will do that when I get home from work.
Have a good day.
Lornie

Collapse -
Looking good!
by lornieca / July 31, 2012 4:31 AM PDT

Hi Keenan,

That was painless thanks to you!

This is my first ipod so im not familiar with it yet but the steps you outlined seem to have worked.

I am extremely grateful

God bless you
Lornie

Collapse -
Windows 7, iPod 1.0.4 connection issue
by tech_c / February 14, 2013 2:25 AM PST
In reply to: Looking good!

Hi All,

ipod synching, ok to disconnect -- this is the message I used to get when I tried to connect my existing iPod to Windows7 and was never able to sync. All the help and suggestion came across was not helpful in my case. Finally succeeded with the following trick (yes).

1. Uninstall the driver for the ipod.
re-install the USB device driver, using Windows device manager application.
Open "Device manager" by left-clicking the windows icon (on the task bar normally found at the bottom left hand side of the screen in Windows 7), In the 'search' box type "device", then click the "device manager" app that appears.

2. Now connect the ipod again and with this, ipod device driver will start installing automatically. At this point quickly navigate to the folder where music is stored on the ipod (eg. <F>:\iPod_Control\Music\F03 and start playing some mp3 lying there

With the above step what we achieve is we prevent the 'Ok to Disconnect' message appearing and stop the disconnect process.

Half the problem is solved!!

3. Now open the itunes and click on ipod button to start sync, setup manual sync etc

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.