Mac Applications forum

General discussion

iPod Photo Update Problem - Unknown Error (-50)

by TexARC / April 22, 2006 3:33 AM PDT

I have a 60GB iPod w/photo capability and the newest software (1.2.1), iTunes (6.0.4), and iPhoto (5.0.4). Whenever I plug in my iPod recently it gives me an error message: "The iPod "iPod" cannot be updated. An unknown error occurred (-50)."

I have tried both USB ports. Didn't work.
I have reset the iPod. Didn't work.
I have restored the iPod. Didn't work. The iPod loaded my songs but the iPod would not load my photos from iPhoto (and, consequently, my Address Book contacts since they are done after photos). So it seems to be a problem with iTunes-iPhoto-iPod.
I have also on a suggestion used Disk Utility to partition my iPod. Didn't work.

Any suggestions? Anyone with a similar problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPod Photo Update Problem - Unknown Error (-50)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPod Photo Update Problem - Unknown Error (-50)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
iPod problem
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 22, 2006 9:30 AM PDT

What version of QuickTime do you have installed?

I think that now that you have done all the "normal" things, you may have to resort to a complete format and restore on this device.
The error indicates that the two machines had a problem moving data around. From your description,and as you say, it appears that it could be the iPhoto part. Have you tried NOT putting the photo's onto the iPod?
What happened?

P

Collapse -
Further Info on iPod Photo Problem
by TexARC / April 22, 2006 11:30 AM PDT
In reply to: iPod problem

Quicktime is version 7.0.4 which software update says is the latest.

I have tried not putting the photos on. Music goes on just fine.

The problem comes when I choose ''Synchronize photos from: iPhoto''. When I ''Synchronize photos from: [A folder]'' everything works just fine. It's got to be a problem between iPhoto and iTunes/iPod.

What are you suggesting when you suggest a possible ''complete format and restore''? I have erased the iPod a few different times, partitioned the device and restored the factory settings. I'm beginning to think it is a iPhoto software problem rather than an iPod hardware problem.

However, I am willing to try anything at this point. Thank you for responding and in advance for any further thoughts.

Collapse -
iPod Problems
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 22, 2006 10:35 PM PDT

Take a look at this article at the Apple site.

You may have already done all these steps, but it's worth looking at just in case they have something to offer that you have not already done.
I am not too sure about the Partition thing. If I recall correctly, and I may not, the iPod does not need another partition to be able to deal with photo's

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60983

Let us know

P

Collapse -
Thanks and Tried
by TexARC / April 23, 2006 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: iPod Problems

Thanks, I have tried all the things listed on the link you provided. I have sent feedback to Apple at this point as I now firmly beleive it is a software compatibility issue that is beyond my fixing. I can only hope they read and correct.

If you have any more ideas I wouldn't mind trying them, but I think we have done everything mere mortals can do.

Thanks, you're one of only two message boards that responded (I've posted to a few) and the only message board that followed up.

Collapse -
Sorry that we could not fix your problem
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 23, 2006 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks and Tried

Of course, if the thing is under warranty, take it back to Apple and they will replace it.
Just as a matter of interest, did it ever work correctly with the configuration you have now?

A software compatibility problem should be ringing more bells than just you.

P

Collapse -
I have the same photo uploading problem
by jyoungmickleton / June 7, 2006 2:38 PM PDT

I also have a 60GB video and get the same error. I've tried to delete the Ipod photo cache folder, but it didn't help. Have you been able to fix your problem?

Thanks.

Collapse -
I did, but...
by TexARC / June 8, 2006 12:46 AM PDT

Yes, I was able to fix the problem, but I can't tell you how, because I don't know. It just started working again one day. I would reccomend trying unchecking all the syncing options for the iPod (Photos, Contacts and Calendars) and then check them all again. That's the last thing I remember doing, but as to its efficacy I don't know.

Sorry and good luck.

Collapse -
Same issue here
by Mal_in_Austin / August 13, 2006 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: I did, but...

I've got the same issue with my 30Gb iPod Photo. I've reset it, and it works once, but after that no more photos go in.

I've run Disk Warrior on it. I've reset it again. Photos just won't go on.

Collapse -
Ipod error 50
by joecanadian / November 24, 2006 2:28 AM PST

I called Ipod and they told me to do I serch so I can find the fix to this error.

Collapse -
itunes not talking to iphoto
by trish3010 / August 26, 2009 5:49 AM PDT

a genius at the genius bar, whilst working on this same problem, was prompted by some of his research to a slideshow i had in iphoto. we decided to delete it and voila, problem solved

Collapse -
ipod error -(50)
by pudsey37 / October 27, 2006 10:57 PM PDT

One of the things that bothered me about iTunes7, is that even though it has a great interface for managing the iPod, I couldn't get it to update my first gen iPod Nano to the 1.2 firmware due to an unknown error in 1417. But now, thanks to the admin of Chernick.org I now can.

Here are the steps you have to follow:

1)Plug in your iPod and wait for iTunes to tell you an update for it is available
2)Click the Install button on that dialog and keep an eye on your iPod
3)When your iPod screen switches from the flashing "Do Not Disconnect" message to the Main Menu screen, unplug the iPod, wait a couple SECONDS, plug the iPod back in
4)You should notice some slow-down in the progress meter and a new dialog box should come up and tell you your iPod is being updated and to not disconnect it until the update finishes
5)That's it. Wait for the update to finish and iTunes will re-recognize it and show its new up-to-date status.

Collapse -
ipod error (-50)
by degwen123 / January 5, 2007 4:27 AM PST
In reply to: ipod error -(50)

I have the same problem (error -50) with my 30GB ipod.

I had this problem before and solved it. Stupid enough i don't remember how. It seems i did what is discribed above.I pretty sure i had to unplug it and then plug it back in after a few seconds.

The problem now is that my ipod is up to date, so itunes doesn't give me a window to update my ipod. I really don't know what to do now.

Anyone ??????

Collapse -
UNKNOWN ERROR (-50)
by koomes / December 22, 2006 10:51 PM PST

HI THERE

i really need your help.
everytime i try to load up itunes, it says ' uknown error occured (-50) ' i cant get onto my itunes
i have tried downloading it agin
i have tried the steps on the web, not worked
please help me
jake

Collapse -
The error comes every time you "load up" iTunes?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 23, 2006 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: UNKNOWN ERROR (-50)

and not just attach your ipod?

What OS and what version of iTunes are you using?

P

Collapse -
Unknown Error (-50)
by MRMcLeod / February 23, 2010 9:54 AM PST

I kept getting an Unknown error (-50) message every time I tried to start I-tunes. I tried almost everything. I ran scans, tried to remove i-tunes and reload, etc. I was also having trouble uploading pictures from my camera. What worked (and I don't know why) is this: I connected my camera and went to the control panel (PC) and went to "Device Manager" I had the internet look for an updated driver for the camera. It stated that the camera driver was up to date. I then disconnected my camera and connected the I-pod. I refreshed the screen so that it showed the i-pod. I checked for a driver update for the device. It said that it was up to date. At this point i-tunes opened and I lost no music. Why? Beats the heck out of me.

Collapse -
error 50
by maddning / September 26, 2006 1:43 AM PDT

Has anyone found a solution to this error 50? I just upgraded to itune 7.0 as recommeded from itunes and my videos were removed from my ipod. I cannot input them back in when I sync. Everything else works fine. My ipod is only 2months old and is a 60gb model.

Collapse -
have you tried this..
by mcquandry / September 26, 2006 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: error 50

Sell your pc and buy a macbook pro

Collapse -
Constructive
by TexARC / September 26, 2006 11:47 PM PDT
In reply to: have you tried this..

It was my impression (since I started this thread) from the responces that we are all using Macs. Regardless, the problem is with the iPods not the computers. Lastly, these forums are supposed to be constructive not griping about personal prefrences toward hardware.

Collapse -
The idiot Post
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 28, 2006 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Constructive

I saw this and decided to ignore the troll on the grounds that they go it wrong anyway.

In all of the posts, in this thread, there was never a mention of a PC so the comment was just the sign of a lesser gifted soul who tried to be clever. As you can see, probably in line with the rest of their achievements, they failed miserably.

Ignore it. If you feed them they just come back

P

Collapse -
what's that all about
by livingarief / September 27, 2006 5:31 PM PDT
In reply to: have you tried this..

I'm a Mac newbie, I learn a lot from this forum.
I made up my mind on switching to mac conveniently without any doubt, mostly because I believe that this forum could actually help me and the others with our problems.
And yes, those wonderful people that gave even a smallest contribution in this forum did help us.
I may not give a lot of contribution, but i listened to those who need help and learn from it. if I can't help, i'll just shut up and learn.
so, please. don't start the "Mac vs PC" thing that u called a solution. i'm so fed up with such debate.

Collapse -
error 50
by koomes / December 23, 2006 7:46 PM PST

ive had the same problem
i cant solve it
can any1 help us?
jake

Collapse -
Has your problem changed since your last post?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 23, 2006 9:37 PM PST

You initially reported an iTunes problem but now you are reporting an iPod sync problem.

I note also that you do not answer questions. So, once again.

What OS are you using and what Mac do you have. It might also be helpful to know what version of iTunes you are using. iPod connection type, Firewire or USB, would also be handy to know.

P

Collapse -
by koomes / December 24, 2006 2:17 AM PST

um i have a windows pc

i have the latest version of itunes

jake

Collapse -
Not enough detail. For instance.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2006 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: -50

I ran into a sync issue but the owner hadn't installed Windows proper.

Your details can help others help you. As it stands all that we can do is hope you provide enough detail to help you avoid repair counters.

Bob

Collapse -
Error (-50) Problem Solved for iPhone and iPhoto
by S U / October 20, 2007 5:51 PM PDT

I had the same problem: iPhoto albums did not show up in iTunes and syncing to my iPhone worked for all but the photos. Error (-50).

What worked for me worked was what others have said here, bad characters in the comments of my photos. A very easy way to find them was to look for the offending comments in the AlbumData.xml file (Pictures>iPhoto Library>AlbumData.xml). I did this by right-clicking (control-click) and selecting "Open with..." and choosing Safari (v3). This opened up the AlbumData.xml file, but as it was opening the long XML file, it stopped with an error on line blah blah.

All I did was to scroll down to the bottom of the page in Safari, and look for the last photo at the very bottom, then went to this photo in iPhoto. I deleted the comments.

I had to repeat the process 3 or 4 times, but got all the "bad" comments out and that worked!!

Finally. Easily. Ahhhhhh!!

Collapse -
error -(50)
by pudsey37 / October 27, 2006 10:58 PM PDT

One of the things that bothered me about iTunes7, is that even though it has a great interface for managing the iPod, I couldn't get it to update my first gen iPod Nano to the 1.2 firmware due to an unknown error in 1417. But now, thanks to the admin of Chernick.org I now can.

Here are the steps you have to follow:

1)Plug in your iPod and wait for iTunes to tell you an update for it is available
2)Click the Install button on that dialog and keep an eye on your iPod
3)When your iPod screen switches from the flashing ''Do Not Disconnect'' message to the Main Menu screen, unplug the iPod, wait a couple SECONDS, plug the iPod back in
4)You should notice some slow-down in the progress meter and a new dialog box should come up and tell you your iPod is being updated and to not disconnect it until the update finishes
5)That's it. Wait for the update to finish and iTunes will re-recognize it and show its new up-to-date status.

Collapse -
Ipod error code -48 may apply to -50 too
by baetanat / January 29, 2007 1:18 AM PST

After having seemingly similar problems with updating my brand new 5th gen video ipod, and nearly going bald from pulling my hair out I managed to get hold of a mac rep who solved my updating issues!
Not sure if this applies to PC users, but on my mac book pro I was told to go to date and time zone, and change it from uk GMT to Cupertino - U.S.A. PST time. THIS SOLVED IT!
Until an update is released this is the only way to correct it!
Hope this helps someone! x

Collapse -
big problem
by CrazyFingaz / February 6, 2007 12:13 PM PST

i have a problem thats pretty similiar to the ones before. I get that same error 50 when i try to download songs to my ipod, and when I sync it, it says that it can't write to or from the ipod.
when i try to restore it, it either says that it can't be written to or from or the error 50. Though, one time when it said one of those errors, i took it out, and the ipod was completely wiped.
Now, i'm stuck trying to get my songs onto my ipod. I don't have any photos that i want to put on my ipod, just music and videos.
How do i get itunes to sync with my ipod, please, i need ur help

Collapse -
Solved my -50 sync error on ipod touch
by adamedia / August 8, 2009 3:06 PM PDT

I started getting the -50 sync error, after doing a few things in iphoto, and they may have contributed to the problem. this consisted of clicking on photos and reverting to original settings for the color/image data and then trying to resync them in place of the ones on the ipod touch. at the same time, i'd added a few new pics that didn't end up making it onto the ipod touch.

solution: i highlighted all the images in iphoto i'd recently been working on, that wouldn't seem to be able to go on to the ipod touch, and duplicated them, deleting the previous versions from the album.

this appeared to do the trick for me, so best of luck with it working for you!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.