Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Ipod is connected but doesn't show up in itunes source list

by escomatt / December 25, 2004 12:37 PM PST

Ipod is connected but doesn't show up in itunes source list. Also, when my ipod connects to my computer for some odd reason webshots (a wallpaper and screensaver program) opens, which it has done before when I connected a USB drive (so maybe something with external drives?). It charges fine but songs never transfer. Any help or steerage in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ipod is connected but doesn't show up in itunes source list
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ipod is connected but doesn't show up in itunes source list
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by escomatt / December 25, 2004 1:10 PM PST

Sorry, I posted too soon. I played with the webshots settings again and figured it out. Thanks anyways.

Collapse -
ipod icon doesnt not show up on itunes
by robin101 / January 23, 2005 9:36 AM PST
In reply to: Nevermind

hi escomatt i have the same problem as you did, my ipod doesnt show up on itunes and i cant transfer any songs wich makes the whole thing worthless, I was happy to see that you figured it out, perhaps you can help me resolve my problem. can you please email me back at robin_thomas@hotmail.com. thank you

Collapse -
Same problem
by babypea3 / January 26, 2005 3:08 AM PST

Better yet, please post the answer here - I have the same problem. My mini iPod was fine last week. Yesterday it was showing up in My Computer but not my source list in iTunes. Now it's not even showing up in My Computer after several reboots - unistalling/reinstalling iTunes software - manual restore - etc. THANK YOU!!

Collapse -
Me, too
by geminirosey / February 12, 2005 9:27 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem

Yup. My mini iPod was fine for about a month, then suddenly a few days ago it just stopped showing up on my desktop or in the left column of the iTunes page. The iPod itself says "Do not disconnect," but it's like the computer doesn't recognize that it's been plugged in. I called Support and they had me uninstall/ reinstall iTunes, update my Powerbook G3 System X, reboot the iPod. Nothing worked. The guy said I'd have to erase my iPod and restore it to factory settings to see if that worked. But of course, I would then lose all the music that's not on my harddrive!

If anyone's got an answer, please post it here!!

Collapse -
Same Here
by tcook / June 2, 2005 3:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Me, too

ipod problems the same but mine doesnt even show the "do not disconnect sign"!!!!!
Email me at tcook624@yahoo.com ---please help!!!

Collapse -
Ipod doesn't show up in itunes
by bhangupali / October 13, 2009 12:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

hello. anybody having this problem can check their window whether its 64-bit or 32 bit. if they are running 64 bit and then they have to install 64 bit itunes software after removing the whole itunes software.please reply me if u need any further assistance. my email bhangu@live.ca Or Call me at 001-780-298-9377

Collapse -
by outre61 / February 21, 2009 4:27 AM PST

I was just searching because I was having this problem too. It just started happening since the last time I sync'd my ipod nano about a week ago.

You'll want to check you iPod driver.

1. Start > Control Panel.
2. Choose System.
3. Choose the Hardware tab.
4. Click the Device Manager button.

If the driver is working properly, you'll see ipod listed under "Disk Drives" as "Apple iPod USB Device", and you'll see the iPod driver listed under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" as "USB Mass Storage Device". If either of these are not working properly, you should see a yellow icon with an exclamation point on it. This is what my problem was.

To correct a defective driver, right-click on it, and select "Update Driver". Follow the instructions. That should fix the problem. It fixed mine.

Good luck.

Collapse -
ipod not registered on my computer at all
by dsmengines / April 2, 2009 1:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Solution

i did as u said to see whats wrong wit my ipod and i never got the yellow exclonation mark as u mentioned and never got the ipod serives tabs as u also said so im assuming my ipod isnt registered on my pc at all so when i plugged it in the first time i got it i got a few files which i could not open which were fds-4 files or somethin like that. it used to work with itunes but now it wont even show up when i look at the screen it has the large battery charging icon on the screen but when i hold down menu and center button all i get is the apple icon and then it goes away and i get a smaller battery charge icon so thats all that it does. my problem is obviously different from other peoples and im hoping u could help me with it but if not im concidering getting somethin else instead of apples products if so many of them have these issues.

Collapse -
******The solution****
by jejf / March 11, 2010 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: Nevermind

I just had this problem and it was quiet simple to resolve.

> Disconnect your ipod from your computer

> Re-start your ipod (middle button and the menu button held down together for 30 seconds)

> Connect your ipod to your computer again and thats it it should be fine.

thats it all done and none of the data will be lost.

Collapse -
it works!
by karyna330 / April 26, 2010 11:44 AM PDT
In reply to: ******The solution****

Thank you...I've spent all day trying to figure this out...first time it's happened in the years I've had my IPOD - your solution worked instantly!

Collapse -
how I fixed this problem
by ksim121 / May 4, 2005 3:38 PM PDT

I was experiencing this same issue (iPod mini was fine for a while, then one day stopped showing up on the source pane in iTunes).

To remedy, I reset the iPod while it was connected to my computer.

To reset:
Hold down MENU and the SELECT BUTTON together for about 5-10 seconds, or until the apple symbol appears.

Note: I had to do this a couple times, but it finally resolved the problem without having to uninstall/reinstall iTunes or my iPod mini software.

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
ipod doesn't show up on itunes
by nat_sora / October 13, 2007 3:12 AM PDT

Hi, I got a ipod nano (1st gen) I was updating the songs i have in my nano then i realised the songs that were in the ipod had all just disappeared. So i plugged the nano back into the PC and did a restore for the nano and ever since that my itunes refuse to show the nano on the source list. (Note: it shows up on the my computer page though) I have tried reinstalling itunes, restarting the ipod, restarting countless of times and trying some of the methods that are on the apple webiste but to no avail. I need some serious help here... thanks.

I have this problem before but this time nothing seems to work.

Collapse -
This thread is from 2005, so why post here when
by BeatleMegaFan / October 13, 2007 12:57 PM PDT

you can start a new one? Nanos and Minis are two different things. Anyway, no idea what's wrong with it. Have you tried restoring the iPod itself? Restarting it doesn't always fix it. Restore the iPod or find a way to wipe it clean on another machine.

Maybe it's just a glitch in the software...

Collapse -
ipod doesn't show up in intunes and no songs listed on ipod
by kjlee17 / December 7, 2009 9:45 AM PST

so i've tried everything.. uninstalling and reinstalling itunes.. restarting the ipod.. nothing works!! it was working fine until yesterday where i noticed that all the songs on my ipod disappeared. then when i tried to replug it into my computer.. it would open itunes but not show up in it. so basically i can't control my ipod.. i cant sync songs cause it doesn't even show up. and what was on there is now gone >_< Please help!

Collapse -
The fix for my similar situation
by mketech / December 20, 2009 2:27 AM PST

I had experienced the same problem -- iPod not showing up in iTunes but showed up in Finder (using a Mac). The fix for me was putting the iPod in disk mode. Once I did that, iTunes asked me if I wanted to update the software on my iPod (Ver 1.1.1 to 1.3.1). After it restarted, it showed up in iTunes.

Hope this helps someone out.

Collapse -
by help_needed_please / March 3, 2010 8:23 AM PST

How do you put the iPod in disk mode?
My 120GB iPod Classic has to be restored because after I lost all my files on my computer, I had to download new ones and every time I connect the iPod to iTunes, it freezes or doesn't recognize the iPod in the source list. I have downloaded iTunes (the newest) and restarted my computer several times.

Collapse -
ipod not showing in itunes or computer
by mikeydogg / March 12, 2010 8:17 PM PST

so i somehow go tmy 3rd generation ipod touch in recovery mode. ive tried to reset it but it still doesnt show on my computer or itunes. everything also disappeared from my ipod. i really dont know what to do! i have a XP. it says that i should have a usb 2.0 which i dont but its never been an issue before its always worked. so what should i do? please help im freaking out!

Collapse -
by winsethu / October 19, 2009 8:09 AM PDT

thanks buddy. it worked for me.

Collapse -
how I fixed this problem
by eplot / March 10, 2010 9:13 AM PST

Worked for me! Thanks ksim

Collapse -
Need to reformat iPod
by paulj1x / January 1, 2010 2:42 AM PST

I had this same problem, along with other minor issues, with my iPod Nano. My computer also kept telling me that it had a CRC error and needed to be reformatted. This sounded scary, but as it turns out it was quick, painless and cured all of the issues. After reformatting iTunes offered to reinstall the system software and from that point on everything worked better than new.

paul j

Collapse -
This is what worked for me!
by veryscreaming / January 5, 2010 5:02 AM PST

Read the first few sentences carefully for your specific problem & system, then click the proper link.

After 2 months of dysfunction, it feels so good to get everything working again. Best of luck!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.