Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

iPod Hold Switch Not Working

by sunwatcher / July 12, 2007 11:29 AM PDT

My daughter has a 5G ipod video (bought 18 months ago) which recently developed a problem. The HOLD switch no longer works (doesn't keep the buttons and scroll wheel from functioning). It also seems the battery is draining more rapidly. She says that she can only listen to it for about 15 minutes after a full charge. I've already tried resetting it using the center button and MENU button, but that didn't work. I first suspected the battery was coming to the end of its useful life, but found a post on another forum where others are having a similar problem. One suggested that it might be the result of a recent firmware update, but no solutions were given.

It's no longer under warranty, but I'm willing to buy a battery kit if necessary. Before I do, I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and a suggestion on how to fix it. (I've already tried the troubleshooting guide on Apple's site.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPod Hold Switch Not Working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPod Hold Switch Not Working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link to a diagnostic mode.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2007 11:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks, but...
by sunwatcher / July 12, 2007 2:14 PM PDT

The KEY test doesn't check the HOLD switch, only the front panel wheel and switches. It seems like all other diagnostics pass.

I've researched battery kits, and it looks like BLUE RAVEN has a good replacement kit, though I'd like to avoid this if I can get another solution here.

Collapse -
HeadphoneDetect: This test checks the Hold Switch and Headph
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2007 2:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, but...

HeadphoneDetect: This test checks the Hold Switch and Headphone port.

Collapse -
Found the test.
by sunwatcher / July 12, 2007 2:28 PM PDT

The headphone check passed, but the HOLD switch failed. Where do I go from here? Could this be a firmware problem? I want to avoid sending this in for service.

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2007 9:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Found the test.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60951 shows where this switch may be.

But what is a switch? It's a simple affair of two metal contacts to complete an electrical path. (This is as far as my electrical explanation will be here.) This component should be replaceable to those that want to fix things themselves.

I would look to google.com and look up IPOD PARTS and see if the switch or top panel can be had.

Now some will fret over if it's the switch or the electronics. For me this is easy to test out by using one's Ohmmeter to see if the switch is good or bad.

-> How to get the iPod open? Ask google.com

Bob
Collapse -
hm
by HoosierDrag / July 18, 2007 7:50 AM PDT

do the test, my hold switch got stuck once but it was a physical obstruction i cracked it open and cleaned it then it worked again. batterys on these things go bad but not 15mins bad... usually

Collapse -
Re: iPod Hold Switch Not Working
by emlynm2 / April 1, 2011 12:57 PM PDT

I had the same exact problems with my iPod. First my battery started draining, then my buttons stopped working, and now the hold switch. However, I managed to solve all those problems. With the battery, what was wrong with mine was that my backlight was always on and I wasn't putting it on block. Also, I'd let it uncharge too often. All of these things really drain the battery. To change the backlight, you just have to go to the settings. For the buttons, i plugged my iPod in the charger, and restarted it from itunes. The buttons strated working after I just left it alone for 10 minutes. And for the hold switch, i siply let it alone for a while. It started working soon. If you plug the iPod in, it immediatly unblocks the iPod. Then you leave it. Or you might try to put the iPod in the sun. It might have gotten wet. If these things don't work, you probably have a bad iPod, and you need to get a new one. Hope you fix it!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.