Headphones & Mp3 Players

General discussion

iPod Classic VS. Zune 80

by headbusta27 / December 2, 2007 11:52 PM PST

In my opinion the zune is the way to go for all non-mac users. Better and Big Screen, just as cool interface, radio, wireless syncing. All of these are things that are great about the zune and missing on the iPod. GO ZUNE!!!!!!!!!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPod Classic VS. Zune 80
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPod Classic VS. Zune 80
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: iPod Classic VS. Zune 80
by NPGMBR / December 3, 2007 12:09 AM PST

Never owned an iPod but just about every other person I know does. I chose the new Zune 80 because it was different and it meant I didn't have the exact same thing as millions of other people. It's the best player I've owned to date and Marketplace and Social make add some pretty nice features as well but never having owned an iPod I can't really compare the two.

Collapse -
Ties suck
by madcow06 / December 3, 2007 12:22 AM PST

I was dissapointed to see that zune vs. ipod review ended up in a draw, what a waste of time if you ask me. That seems to conveniently happen a lot on cnet between two very popular items. Apparently don't like to upset anybody.

Collapse -
Scores weren't planned :)
by Josh.Lowensohn / December 3, 2007 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: Ties suck

Hey madcow06,

The scores for the prize fight were done independent of one another, and there was no consensus before submission from all of the judges. Believe me when I tell you, we're all for upsetting people.

Collapse -
4-1 is a draw?
by rvikul / December 3, 2007 1:52 AM PST

I dont get it. Yes, the total points are equal but the Zune won 4 out of 5 rounds. If you call that a draw, it seems very questionable.

Collapse -
How the scoring works
by Josh.Lowensohn / December 3, 2007 3:44 AM PST
In reply to: 4-1 is a draw?

The rounds are not meant to decide the match--it's the final score. The rounds are meant to let you know at a glance which device "won" in that specific category by having a higher score than the other--which again was decided by three different people with no consensus or collaboration.

Collapse -
Scoring Explanation
by jcmorganjr / December 3, 2007 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: How the scoring works

So if there were 25 catagories and Zune won 24 by one point a piece but lost one by 25 to 0 the Ipod would have won. Talk about bias !

Collapse -
Bias is different
by Josh.Lowensohn / December 3, 2007 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: Scoring Explanation

To have bias means you're prejudice towards a certain product.

Inherently we as editors have feelings regarding any product or service, but in the case of a prize fight, you've got three different editors with different opinions who have evaluated something in several different categories as objectively as possible. The final score is then made up all three collectively--not just one person.

That being said, if you find a quibble on a certain score, that is worth getting worked up about. In terms of the scoring, this prize fight falls in line with all previous prizefights, and differs from the actual CNET Editorial process in that it uses a different scale and there are no labs tests.

Collapse -
Maybe not biased but ignorant?
by gr00vy0ne / December 3, 2007 9:14 AM PST
In reply to: Bias is different

In terms of compatibility, you missed a huge sore point for iPod owners. iPod games that you previously purchased are not compatible with the new devices. Also, don't forget the problem with the iPod video cables that no longer work with the new devices. So, to be fair, i'd say you'd have to take away at least one point (across the board) for that. It is a serious issue and one that should not be ignored.

Collapse -
Upset no one, upset everyone
by pbabida / December 3, 2007 9:22 AM PST

My 4G ipod gave up the ghost this morning on the drive to work so I was quite excited when I saw the 'prizefight' article link--I'm deciding between the ipod Classic and the Zune80 since I'm the kind of person that like to carry everything with me.

What a waste of time! The result really smells of 'not wanting to bite the hand that feeds you'. Then again since it's both Apple and Microsoft, does that make it 'hands'?

-pbabida

Collapse -
common guys, it was fair.
by bigstax91 / December 5, 2007 3:45 AM PST

As a zune owner, I have nothing against Apple (i own an imac) and I like both the ipod and zune. Just because it ended in a tie you guys claim it is rigged? common guys. They both have their pluses, it comes down to what you personally want so you should just make your own opinion as to what you want to buy. I can see why they were upset about the zune not having mac support, I am too. Seemed like they did their best to make a fair review so you guys should lay off and be happy they even spent the time to make one.

Collapse -
Zune 80 GB or Ipod Classic 80 GB?
by Azn13oi / June 30, 2008 3:45 PM PDT

I've been trying to decide on whether I would want a Zune or a Ipod? any feedback?

Collapse -
go for the zune
by davisangel143 / November 18, 2008 10:49 PM PST

I work at a major electronics retail store (conspicuously avoiding implications in association with my company since this is my personal perspective), and as a salesperson, I am most concerned with the function of the device for the user as well as it's longevity. Frankly, I think the ipods are a big scam, and when I say "the ipods" I DO MEAN EVERY SINGLE THING ABOUT THEM! I don't like the average life of the ipod (this is strictly based on the general use of my customers). I don't like the fact that you have to convert formats. I don't like that you can't sync with more than one computer. I don't like that my customers are constantly having to browse through hundereds of ipod accessories that look the same and perform the same function, but are not compatible with THIER particular model. I don't like that every time Apple updates their models, EVERYTHING YOU OWN (your ipod, your accessories, your warranty, and at times even your music) must be thrown away, updated, and/or repurchased. I don't like that the battery has a shorter life span (and conveniently for Apple, can't be removed/replaced by consumers), and the touch functions (be it on the iTouch or on any of the heat-based sensored scroll pads) commonly give out. I don't like that Apple tracks their products for their own information, but won't help you find it if it is lost or stolen. All of this spells more money for my customers, and I think it's just a ploy by Apple to rake in more cash...Trust me, just go with the Zune. If you DON'T trust me about this issue, read through the complaints page listed on this website-http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/apple_ipod.html. (I found it while doing research for a class that I'm in, and yes, I'm playing devil's advocate against Apple products) My worst concern of all is that while reading through these consumer posts, several people convey the same message of resentment toward Apple's customer service when trying to seek help with their $50-$350 products. "Never an apology", one consumer said.

Collapse -
What?
by jay.butler / November 18, 2008 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: go for the zune

<<I don't like the fact that you have to convert formats.>>
Why would you have to convert MP3s? iPods play them.

<<I don't like that you can't sync with more than one computer.>>
How many people would do this anyhow? True, it might be a nice feature, but is it really necessary.

<<having to browse through hundereds of ipod accessories>>
There are a lot of accessories, but I have never had any issues finding which one go with my model. Most of the differences are attributable to the form factor changes. But, over the life cycle of a product line, some things do change. Some changes appear arbitrary, but some are done to move the products capability forward (e.g., replacing the Firewire port with the dock connector).

The Zune has few accessories. But, the Zune product has been on the market for far less time as well (and it never sold anywhere near the same number of units as iPod).

Collapse -
In response to j.butler
by davisangel143 / November 19, 2008 1:47 AM PST

<<Why would you have to convert MP3s? iPods play them.>>
Several people, in dealing with ipods have had to convert their formats because they will not play them. "You know that iPods play music, but that doesn't mean that every type of music file will play on your iPod or in iTunes. Same goes for iPods that can display images or play videos." - Support.Apple.com (http://support.apple.com/kb/TA38530?viewlocale=en_US)
Whereas Windows Media Player supports all of the following:

"Windows Media formats File name extensions: .asf, .asx, .avi, .wav, .wax, .wma, .wm, .wmv

Note Windows Media Player versions 6.4 and later support .wmv files.
? Moving Pictures Experts Group (MPEG) File name extensions: m3u, mp2v, .mpg, .mpeg, .m1v, .mp2, .mp3, .mpa, .mpe, mpv2
? Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI) File name extensions: .mid, midi, .rmi
? Apple QuickTime, Macintosh AIFF Resource File name extensions: .qt, .aif, .aifc, .aiff, .mov
? Unix File name extensions: .au, .snd" - Support.Microsoft.com (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234019)

<<How many people would do this anyhow? True, it might be a nice feature, but is it really necessary.>>
This becomes a problem when your computer crashes, catches a virus, or just breaks and you loose that particular computer with which you have registered your ipod. When you purchase an ipod, you actually register it and name the relationship so that it may recognize your computer. Unfortunately, I have had MORE THAN A FEW customers that have had something sad happen to their pc or mac and no longer have access to it. My customers are usually happy that they still have their precious media on thier ipod until they realize that if they try and add to it from a friend's computer because they don't have theirs, they can't. The ipod displays a message basically saying, "That's NOT the computer I made friends with, and if you want me to make a new friend, you have to empty me and start over." This wouldn't be such a problem if the same situation didn't apply to purchasing a new computer to replace their old. They never have the access to move files or back them up to perhaps another computer they have at home for just such an unfortunate incident. And by the way, if there happens to be any malfunction in the ipod, the customer may send it back to Apple only to find that the best solution Apple has for solving freezes, arbitrary errors and erasing of media is deletion and a reset. This spells the death of thousands of songs, pics, and movies that may or may not be available anymore.

<<There are a lot of accessories, but I have never had any issues finding which one go with my model. Most of the differences are attributable to the form factor changes. But, over the life cycle of a product line, some things do change. Some changes appear arbitrary, but some are done to move the products capability forward (e.g., replacing the Firewire port with the dock connector).>>
This issue is simply one of convenience and money. For instance, let's say you purchased a $179 Altec Lansing docking station for your ipod nano (1st generation), and you're excited to get a new iPhone and use your docking station. You get your new $299 16GB iPhone home only to find that your docking station doesn't support the iPhone. Those kinds of things that I see everyday at work with things like docking stations and FM transmitters (which the ipod didn't bother to include) just irritate my customers, and my customers and I seem to agree that it's too much money to waste on compatibility.

<<The Zune has few accessories. But, the Zune product has been on the market for far less time as well (and it never sold anywhere near the same number of units as iPod).>>
I only thing that the Zune has fewer accessories because it needs fewer. What else do you need? A case? There are cases. An FM transmitter? It has one. A voice recorder? It has one. Docking station/radio or portable speakers? Those are on the shelves at your local electronics retailer. Do you really need anything else? As for the comment about Zunes in particular - it's not that I favor Zunes so much as I favor any other non-Apple mp3 player. There's Sansa, there's Sony, there's Zune. I actually have a Korean made mp3 player that has been doing well for me for 4 years now. It's a one by one inch cube, their customer service is great, and it's practically indistructible (I'm clumsy and have stepped on and dropped it before).
As to the number sold (LOL) I've never been into fads and popularity, so of course when I see 14-yr-olds coming in for a $300 iTouch because their friends have it, I'm gonna say it sells because it's in!

Collapse -
I Went for the Zune...
by bvman / January 10, 2009 12:40 AM PST

I did some research and tried both the Zune and iPod. I chose the Zune. I liked the screen size(Movies are actually enjoyable), the FM radio (You can even select a song from the radio to download once your synced to your computer), the high quality ear-buds, the Zune pad, and yes-silly but, the chance to put my own wallpaper on the screen, and especially the fact that all I had to do was install the software...drag...drop...done! No conversion, no hassle with my music not being compatible. I like that I can sync to more than one computer, too. My desktop or laptop or 'wirelessly'. And they've even thrown in some games now. Extremely happy with my device, after a friend bought his iPod, it's headphone jack port broke and fell into device, even more happy with my decision. This is just my opinion. Do your research and I'm sure you'll make a great choice. Both will make you happy...it's just which features are most important to you.

Collapse -
I completely agree...
by riverforce / December 3, 2007 5:11 AM PST

Hey... come on C-NET.... what the hell is up with your common sense here...??? If something wins in 4 out of 5 categories, how can there be a draw...??? This is the most idiotic method of calculation I have ever heard of... Please, someone at C-NET must have enough common sense to realize this...

Collapse -
Ever watched a boxing match?
by Poddy Mon / December 5, 2007 8:41 PM PST
In reply to: I completely agree...

Most boxing matches are won on points, not by knockout, and points are awarded each round. It is always possible to win fewer rounds but more points, and therefore win the fight on points.

The points are the key.

Collapse -
boxing match
by landonspop / September 30, 2008 9:03 AM PDT

It is impossible to lose one round out of five in a boxing match and lose the fight. One must score 10 points and the least points is seven.

The closest score in a 5 round fight with one winning 4 rounds is:
10-9, 10-9, 10-9, 10-9, 7-10 or 47-46.

So if you win 4 out of 5 rounds in a boxing match, and no KO, you WILL win the fight.

Second, there should always be a tie breaking category used for such.
The one thing missing in this study is quality of sound. Are these equal? How about video quality? Photo quality?

Collapse -
by crash900s / December 3, 2007 6:39 PM PST

OMG the ipod stole florida

Collapse -
So what if scores weren't planned?
by Mark Gurney / December 3, 2007 5:25 AM PST

Still very disappointing head to head if you ask me. Head to head's should come out with a clear winner in each category and overall. If a 4 to 1 category win isn't enough to tip the scales in a point draw then you should come up with a tie breaker...rather than wuss out.

Collapse -
Re:So what if scores weren't planned?
by duanepatterson / December 4, 2007 10:47 AM PST

Come on now....that would offend one of their 2 biggest advertisers. Ties are so much more tidy. No one loses and everyone is happy. If they would have had a winner, they might have had to shed the blood of an innocent editor to appease the advertising Gods.

Collapse -
100% in agreement with Gurney
by LopezLuis / February 21, 2008 1:41 PM PST

the only thing I would add is that the actual categories themselves make an enormous difference. Are you more likely to buy a player with outstanding audio quality but with sub-par interface or vice versa? Yet both categories are worth equal points, when sub-par audio quality is like a restaurant with sub-par food, especially if they carry a luxury price tag. In shopping for a player I would think equal weight as in this Head2Head is a thing flawed from the start.

Collapse -
Radio? Big deal.
by finnswede / December 3, 2007 12:42 AM PST

I have never used a Zune, so I cant comment on it, but I am sure it works fine. One of the things people seem to think is so great though is the fm radio. Maybe I am in the minority, but I couldnt care less if my mp3 player has an fm tuner. If I wanted to listen to the same dozen songs over and over like pretty much all radio, i can just pick a playlist and hit repeat. I would, however be very happy if my iphone would do wireless sync with itunes (zune does wireless sync right?). For the love of pete, it has bluetooth and wifi, why no syncing with one of them?

Collapse -
cnet already called zune better
by 99bananas / December 5, 2007 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: Radio? Big deal.

look up cnet reveiews on ipod classic and zune 80
ipod got 8.0 and zune got 8.3

CONTEST OVER

Collapse -
Useful in the gym
by dpuhrmann / December 5, 2007 6:59 AM PST

The place I have found the radio most useful is the gym. Most gym's these days have TVs and use FM to broadcast the audio for the channels that are displaying on the TV. So you can switch between listening to the music on you Zune and listening to the TV without any accessories, etc.

Collapse -
I AGREE
by maxwell9999 / December 10, 2007 1:56 AM PST

i dont give a S**T if i have a radio i buy an MP3 player to listen to music.

Collapse -
FM is a plus!
by bvman / January 10, 2009 12:54 AM PST
In reply to: I AGREE

First off, I don't know where you live, but they put music on the FM stations where I live. I've listened to TV broadcast when the room/gym is to loud to hear it. I can listen to sports broadcasts on FM. It sounds like some people are hating the FM because they don't have it? It doesn't add to the price of the device. Doesn't add an external antenna. What's the problem? I've noticed that most mp3 players have them, don't you like to hear what's going on outside Mac-land? I love my Zune and have also owned two smaller Sandisk devices w/FM. It's a good way to find new music that you can ADD to your mp3 player too. You can even listen to a song, select it from FM so that it downloads when you connect to the Zune Marketplace. Gotta like that!

Collapse -
What is the most amazing is...
by AppleSuxLeo / December 3, 2007 2:34 AM PST

MSFT has trumped Apple in just their second attempt...actually just their first when you consider MSFT just reworked a Toshiba device to get something out the door quickly. And the Zune Marketplace is so much nicer than iTunes there is no comparison. A well-known Apple reviewer called iTunes a spreadsheet with text LOL
Don`t EVER count out the big softie...just look what they accomplished with XBOX starting from scratch ;)And so many naysayers said it could not be done.

Collapse -
zune sounds good.
by ivandrago / December 3, 2007 2:40 AM PST

I have never owned a Ipod or a Zune, but based on the review I'd probably buy a Zune since the problems that they listed don't affect me (no Mac, no DRM). I don't like the idea that they removed the EQ, but it'll probably comeback in the next updates, or through 3rd party software.

The final factor has to be the fact that the Zune simply offers more for the price.

Collapse -
No EQ ever
by chustar / December 3, 2007 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: zune sounds good.

I read somewhere (can't remember) that they took the EQ out. Rooted it out of the hardware infact. So, the zune will NEVER support EQ. I'm not 100% sure, but that's what i heard. But it supposedly sounds great without it (i don't own one) so does it really matter?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.