Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

ipod bookmarking

by dhirub4u / March 27, 2007 2:04 AM PDT

Hi All,

Do the newest (5th generation?) hard drive ipods allow for bookmarking multiple MP3 files?

All my music is in MP3 format. I need to be able to place a bookmark in multiple files. I do not want to convert my music to AAC or any other format.

Can the latest iPods do this? If not, is there any ipod add-on software that does this?

Or do the ipods only allow you to resume where you left off with just one file and that's it?

Can any iPod fanatics out there help? I'd really like to get an iPod! But I can't if it doesn't have this feature.

Any help most appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ipod bookmarking
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ipod bookmarking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not really an answer but,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 29, 2007 9:48 AM PDT
In reply to: ipod bookmarking

as purchasing an iPod depends entirely on this function, and I'm not sure that it does it, what are your alternatives?

Are you saying that all your music is in a number of huge MP3 files and you would like to bookmark the last place you listened to, or are you wanting something else.

I'm not sure you have be to a fanatic to answer your question, especially if you could be a little more forthcoming as to how you expect the iPod, or any other MP3 player, to operate.

P

Collapse -
iPod bookmarking
by dhirub4u / March 29, 2007 11:37 AM PDT

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I listen to a lot of MP3 podcasts and I need to be able to set one resume point (one bookmark) in multiple files. That way I can jump from one file to another to another and always continue from where I left off. I currently have a Creative ZenExtra MP3 player and it allows you to place one bookmark in each file. If the iPod can't do this, then I will need to get another Creative player or a player from another company which has this feature.

I would like to get an iPod, but only if it has this capability.

Can the 5th or 5.5 generation video iPod do this? Is there some add-on software which allows the iPod to do this?

This is your chance to convert me to iPods! (smile)

Thanks!

Tom

Collapse -
Bookmarking on an iPod
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 29, 2007 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: iPod bookmarking

this from Apple site; iPod discussions.
Quote.
The iPod implements bookmarking in a more standard fashion, in that if you download an audiobook from iTunes or you make one from CD in the .m4a format and save it as a m4b file (b stands for bookmarking) it will resume the file from where you left off last time you played it. It doesn't do explicit bookmarking by 'saving' a bookmark, but it saves your place when you leave the file. Apparently this is more likely to work when you pause the file before going to the next file, but there are comments in internet forums from people who use a Shuffle (without a screen) for audiobooks and music, so it's quite likely to work, otherwise the forums would be full of complaints.

The iPod also has cheap third-party shareware available for it that handles bookmarking. One program (MarkAble) converts from mp3 or whatever else to m4b. The other (MarksMan) allows you to export your bookmarked place from your iPod into a small text file.

Hope this helps.

Unquote

P

Collapse -
As far as I know....
by ktreb / March 30, 2007 1:29 AM PDT

This works the same way that it does with audiobooks.

If you get your podcasts through iTunes, it will automatically put them in a podcast folder. (if iTunes doesn't feature the podcast, you can still subscribe through the advanced menu and then type/paste in the appropriate feed) It will also automatically set the option to remember playback position. If you don't want to go through iTunes, you would have to manually set the option.

And let's say you have a podcast episode that you didn't listen to on your iPod but you listened to it partway on your computer. The next time you sync, playback position will be transferred to the iPod and this also works in the reverse direction.

Collapse -
iPod and Bookmarking
by dave95 / March 30, 2007 3:55 AM PDT

I don't know about setting bookmark points yourself (ala the Creative DAP), but I do know it remembers your last position where you left off on podcast, audibooks, videos & music automatically. It had this feature from the very beginning. I also listen to lots of podcast which I subscribe to from iTunes, and never had problems with bookmarking/resuming. As ktreb said, when you sync it back to iTunes, it transfers all the bookmarking info to iTunes so you can continue where you left off from the computer and visa versa.

Collapse -
ipod bookmarking
by dhirub4u / March 30, 2007 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: iPod and Bookmarking

Wow. Thanks, Dave95. If what you say is correct, then the iPod already does exactly what I want it to do. I want to be able to leave any MP3 file and come back to it at the same place at a later time.

A friend told me that the iPod does this ONLY for the last file that was playing. Thus he said ONLY ONE file can be bookmarked at any one time.

You're telling me that the iPod does this for every file that is played and each file retains the bookmark (or the "resume point", whatever is the correct term).

This is great news. Now I can consider purchasing the iPod.

So, other iPod users... Is this true? Does the iPod automatically place a "resume point" in every file if you stop playing that file before it ends? And it does this for MP3 files?

I've heard conflicting stories on this feature, so I want to make sure I have accurate information.

Thanks!

Tom

Collapse -
No
by dave95 / March 30, 2007 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: ipod bookmarking

I was mainly addressing the podcast. The iPod resumes where you left off each time when you're listening to multiple podcast, video or audible files (.aa), but your friend may be correct, it only remembers or bookmarks the last mp3 song played. Now you can set all mp3 files manually in iTunes to ?Remember playback position?, I just haven't tried yet whether or not it transfer that info back to the iPod.

Collapse -
iPod bookmarking
by dhirub4u / March 30, 2007 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: No

So... If I understand you correctly, for each one of my MP3 files in iTunes, I can set them to "remember last playback position". Then, when I listen to them on my iPod, I can leave and return to that file at the same point. And I can do that for all the other MP3 files that I set that way...?

Do I understand correctly?

All I have are MP3 files. And I don't want to convert them to anything else (too much trouble).

Thanks! I really do appreciate everyone's help in helping me understand this feature. This is a great forum.

Cheers,

Tom

Collapse -
Yes that is correct!
by daveworld / March 30, 2007 10:29 PM PDT

You can set all audio files (mp3, AAC, wave, lossless etc.) to remember their playback position in iTunes 'manually'. Just select all the files you want, Right-Click, and select Get Info, then "Remember Playback Position". iTunes will transfer that info back to the iPod next time you sync, it works I just tested it. Cool feature I never knew about!

Collapse -
ipod bookmarking
by dhirub4u / March 31, 2007 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes that is correct!

Kudos to Daveworld! You knocked it out of the park. Now I'm confident the iPod can do exactly what I need. Now when I get my new MP3 player, the iPod is at the top of my list.

Thanks very much for testing to make sure. I'll probably get the 80GB iPod because my 30GB player is filled to the brim.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me resolve this!

Cheers,

Tom

Collapse -
iPOD bookmarks issue
by guncrazy1 / May 2, 2008 5:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes that is correct!

Man, you are really great. I have been in search of this bookmark function for past 1 year. Now I can definitely go ahead and buy iPOD. Thanks a tone for the information.

Collapse -
ipod bookmarking
by Sohlar / September 30, 2009 7:59 PM PDT
In reply to: iPOD bookmarks issue

i always play my IPOD classic playlist in shuffle mode. whenever i plug it into my pc to sync tracks, i have to play from scratch and i then have to skip played tracks already listened 2. but this doesnt happen 2 my video files which always remain at exactly where i left it.
SO my question is, when i sync or connect my ipod 2 a pc, is there a way that it will remember already played tracks in shuffle mode?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.