Mac Applications forum

Question

iPhoto 11 uncooperative when trying to delete photos

by Nathan463 / December 17, 2012 12:35 PM PST

Ok... I have all of the photos I want to keep in a set of albums, I want to delete all of the photos in iPhoto11 that are not in an album. Then, (based on a tip about how to do this in iPhoto9) I made a smart album with the perimeters that any photo not in an album already would be in this one. When I try to take these delete these photos from this album it acts as if I did not delete them at all (instead of what I guessed it would do, deleting them from the album but not Photos library). All of these attempts yielded the result of iPhoto acting as if I did nothing: pressing the delete button when they are selected, right clicking sending to trash, dragging to iphoto trash, dragging to trash app, command+delete, option+delete, control+delete (the last 3 supposedly deleting the photos from album and Photos library in iPhoto9). Any idea how to delete the photos in the album from Photos library -- or any idea at all how to delete all the photos in iphoto11 photos library that are not in any albums. - - - Many thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhoto 11 uncooperative when trying to delete photos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhoto 11 uncooperative when trying to delete photos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Deleting photo's from an album, the smart one,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 8:54 PM PST

will not delete the photo from the Library.

You seem to have a Catch22 situation here.

If the photo is in Smart Album, it is not in any other album AND is in the Library.
Deleting that photo from the Smart Album does nothing because by doing so it becomes a photo that matches the criteria that you set up for the Smart Album and so it cannot be deleted!

I have been playing with this for a little while and find that I cannot delete any pictures from a Smart Album in iPhoto11, probably for the same reason.

the option I see if for you to use the smart album, copy the photo name from the info tab, to locate the pictures in the Library and delete from there.

P

Collapse -
(NT) Gah, lol. over 1000 photos I need to delete.
by Nathan463 / December 17, 2012 11:47 PM PST
Collapse -
Figured it out!
by Nathan463 / December 17, 2012 11:56 PM PST

Figured it out! One solution along these lines - Go to the smart album, select all give them all a rating that your other photos do not have 1 for example (why would you have any photos with a rating of one!?). Then you can go to photo library, sort by rating, find all of the One Ratings and delete directly from Photos library.

Collapse -
There you go.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 8:14 AM PST
In reply to: Figured it out!

One question though.
How bad were those 1000 photo's that you decided not to keep them?

p

Collapse -
duplicates
by Nathan463 / December 18, 2012 11:13 AM PST
In reply to: There you go.

They were precautionary duplicate shots of course.

Collapse -
(NT) Just wondering.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 7:39 AM PST
In reply to: duplicates
Collapse -
Answer
Deleting from iPhoto:
by Old_Toad / January 11, 2013 2:14 AM PST

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">When you use only the Delete key in an album you're only removing the photos from the album.

Deleting Photos from an iPhoto Library:

1 - from the Event or Photos mode: select the photo(s) and use the Delete key to move the photos to the trash bin. Then empty the iPhoto Trash bin

2 - from an album, smart album, book, slideshow, card, etc.: select the photo(s) and use the key combination of Command+Option+Delete to move the photos to the trash bin. Then empty the trash bin as above

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.